• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Hockey League Discussion

It's fine if we wait, just remember we'll have to invalidate that deal I mentioned...which I'm sure could be reworked if need be. But yes, the rule needs to go.

Also, we seem to have

Arty
Kritter
Timmy

As pretty much absentee owners.

All solid guys with good eyes for talent, but at what point do we ask them for a commitment to manage their teams regularly? Arty is on a hilarious -205 GP pace on wingers alone which is just crazy. Kritter is > -200 for forwards overall. Timmy isn't quite as bad, but he's had RNH and Palat active for a lengthy period of time now while on the IR. There are some others with minor league guys in NHL spots too. I dunno, just seems like the neglect has gotten pretty bad this year. Not advocating booting people, but it's always better to have active managers. I know our baseball league has gotten a huge boost from new blood and active managers.

Also, Tully has two players that are in college - not drafted - SCOTT PERUNOVICH and JACK AHCAN that'll have to be dropped. This bothers me, because he's obviously done prospect research to find these guys, but can't roster them because reasons. Sorry dude. I feel like this rule has never been well explained nor posted for newcomers to easily find and understand.

I do agree that it's generally a good idea to wait until the offseason to implement new rules. In the past we've discussed doing it anyway when something is seriously wrong ... which is obviously not the case here.

So it makes sense to do away with this rule in the off-season, and revoke the trade. Unownable players will have to be dropped. And hopefully those guys can re-work the deal to everyone's satisfaction.

As for absentee owners, there are many pros to having weekly lineups, but this is one major downside. Daily lineups force managers to keep on top of things, though obviously it can still happen. I also try to be pretty lenient cause I know people get hella-busy for periods of time and it's not the end of the world.

Hopefully these guys still want to participate and can keep a closer eye on things going forward. Or be replaced if need be.

Well on the subject of absentee owners, I know that last year when we ended up doing the top up we only moved teams back a maximum of 3 spots thus rewarding absenteeism and or tanking. At the time I thought it was rediculous, is it still the same this year or are we going to move teams to their actual spot in the standings after top ups are done

As for absentee owners, there are many pros to having weekly lineups, but this is one major downside. Daily lineups force managers to keep on top of things, though obviously it can still happen. I also try to be pretty lenient cause I know people get hella-busy for periods of time and it's not the end of the world.

Hopefully these guys still want to participate and can keep a closer eye on things going forward. Or be replaced if need be.

As someone who is in his share of daily leagues too... it makes no difference. When people stop giving a shit, they stop giving a shit.

It may be worse in daily leagues cause people get busy and miss a few days here and there, then they get frustrated and lose interest.

Well on the subject of absentee owners, I know that last year when we ended up doing the top up we only moved teams back a maximum of 3 spots thus rewarding absenteeism and or tanking. At the time I thought it was rediculous, is it still the same this year or are we going to move teams to their actual spot in the standings after top ups are done

I agree... it still "benefits" teams to be absent.

I do agree that it's generally a good idea to wait until the offseason to implement new rules. In the past we've discussed doing it anyway when something is seriously wrong ... which is obviously not the case here.

So it makes sense to do away with this rule in the off-season, and revoke the trade. Unownable players will have to be dropped. And hopefully those guys can re-work the deal to everyone's satisfaction.

I say we have everyone drop illegal players, they go on waivers and are now fair game. If people want to put in claims they can... otherwise when they clear they are FAs.

As for the daily vs weekly comment... it used to work well but with the new fantrax app I can't change my lineup from mobile and I generally need to make lineup adjustment while on the train to work.

I have less and less interest in daily changes all the time.

I would still love to come up with a good way to be able to change an injured player out mid week. Otherwise though, weekly is ideal.

I have less and less interest in daily changes all the time.

I would still love to come up with a good way to be able to change an injured player out mid week. Otherwise though, weekly is ideal.
Yeah, I've lost interest in daily leagues as well. Been a bit of a struggle to keep up with the cap league, personally.

Sent from my E2306 using Tapatalk

The problem with the cap league is its litteraly more about who can max their games out than who has the better team. I think it would be much better off if it was weekly. Maybe not the best place for this conversation though

You can’t pick up a guy who was passed on in the draft? That’s a pretty shocking rule, to be honest.

As stupid as it is, rules are rules and shame on me for not knowing them. I picked him up quite a while ago, it would have been nice to have ironed it out then.

I do not want this affecting my run for the tile, so let’s revert this trade back ASAP. Or, Leafman, you can take any other prospect on my roster if one is of interest.

Sorry guys, totally forgot about the rule when making the deal. Tully and I fixed our deal.

I agree we should change the rule to allow signing up undrafted free agents. its how the NHL handles it. But it wouldn't be fair to change it mid-season.

Sorry guys, totally forgot about the rule when making the deal. Tully and I fixed our deal.

I agree we should change the rule to allow signing up undrafted free agents. its how the NHL handles it. But it wouldn't be fair to change it mid-season.

Lets say, all players who have been NHL draft eligible are available as of noon EST tomorrow. All players who are owned, but should have been unavailable through the old rules are dropped and subject to waivers (everyone is welcome to put in a claim), then become FAs/fair game.

That way it's fair to everyone.

Mid season, off season... same difference really.

But why? It's not like changing it now benefits anyone. It's not like we're changing a scoring feature or anything that gives anyone any benefit. It's just removing something that has potential to cause confusion.

Mid season rule changes are not something we should be doing typically. But when it's something that is going to make things easier and has no impact on standings or any team... then there's no reason to wait imo.

Maybe we can get a hold of these guys and figure out if they wanna keep doing it.

I like this league a lot, I like the scoring and the number of teams.

But I agree, it sucks not having active managers.

Back