• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Premiere League Thread

You can blame the rule book the other way too, it also says that the offsides takes president over the foul as well, because the offside rule is trash and has never been fixed. It literally contradicts itself.

I feel like it's time for a promotion/relegation update.

Relegation first ... the drop zone is currently officially comprised of Huddersfield (14 points!), Fulham (17 ... also!) and Cardiff City (28), while the 5 points out ring encompasses Crystal Palace (33), Brighton (33), Southampton (30) and Burnley (30). Palace and Brighton have been scuffling along at roughly .500 lately, but Burnley has lost 4 on the trot and look wobbly to say the least. Poor Fulham and Huddersfield are just playing out the string.

Promotion ... the Championship has been tiered like a wedding cake all season, with the bulk at the bottom. Norwich (78) and Leeds (73) have made up the top tier all season, but Sheffield United (74) have jumped up a tier with molten hot play over the last two months. Look for those three to bang heads for the two automatic spots. Below that, West Brom (67) looks safe enough for a playoff spot, while there's a huge mix zone for the other two spots ... Middlesborough, Villa, Preston, Derby, Bristol City, Sheff Wednesday and Nottingham Forest all sit between 58 and 54 points, and the jockeying in that group has been continuous. Villa and Preston are the hot hands right now, while Middlesborough has been dropping like a rock. Look for more shifting in the bottom two playoff slots over the next 6-7 weeks, but if I had to handicap it, Villa and Preston have the most scoring out of that group and that generally gets you through.

Last international break this weekend and then a 7 week sprint to finish the season. Lots of midweek matches too, for League and FA Cup postponements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolves beat Man U to keep them 5th, ties on points with Spurs only 1 ahead of Chelsea with 1 more match played. Watford beat Fulham and that sends the Cottagers back down.

So Man City defends and becomes the first club to repeat since Man U did it in 08-09. Their 98 points is 2nd best all time, behind last year’s 100. Liverpool’s runner up total of 97 is 3rd best and they came with 18 minutes of an undefeated season, conceding to Leroy Sané on January 3 in a 2-1 loss to Man City. Ultimately, the Reds lost control of the title race with a 0-0 draw in the Merseyside Derby, so there is much joy on the blue side of Stanley Park.

Chelsea were a well beaten 3rd, 25 points behind Liverpool. Spurs were 1 point behind Chelsea and Arsenal 1 behind Spurs. Those spots were there for the taking, but after a 1-1 draw in the North London Derby on March 3, Arsenal only won 3 more matches, and 2 were immediately after the NLD. Their winless run included a shock home loss to Palace and a home draw to Brighton. Man U was 6th, 4 points behind Arsenal. They faded badly down the stretch, leading many to 2nd guess the permanent appointment of Solskjaer while they were on a hot streak after Mourinho was sacked.

Wolves were 7th, the best performance by a promoted club since Ipswich Town were 5th in 2001-02. They’ll qualify for the Europa League if Man City win the FA Cup next weekend or Arsenal win the Europa League. Everton, Leicester and West Ham rounded out the top half of the table.

Watford were 11th, their best ever finish. They will qualify for the Europa League with a win in the FA Cup final. Palace, Newcastle and Bournemouth all flirted with relegation but came home well safely. Rafa Benitez’ contract is up at Newcastle, so stay tuned for that. Burnley, Southampton and Brighton out 15-17. The Seagulls have sacked Chris Hughton after 4-1/2 years in charge.

Cardiff repeated their 1 and done performance from their last stint in the Prem, coming closer to staying up than the last time, missing by 2 points. Fulham were 19th in a one and done performance. Scott Parker was announced as the permanent manager yesterday. Huddersfield’s 2 year run came to an end. It’s hard to win matches with only 22 goals scored in 38 matches.

Back