• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like Forslund wanted guaranteed, 82 game money but intends to do a LOT of games for NBC. I honestly can't blame either side for how this panned out. The Canes wanted to pay him for "games worked". And his intentions were to keep adding more and more NBC games to his schedule.
Where did you read that?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Sounds like Forslund wanted guaranteed, 82 game money but intends to do a LOT of games for NBC. I honestly can't blame either side for how this panned out. The Canes wanted to pay him for "games worked". And his intentions were to keep adding more and more NBC games to his schedule.
I've heard this as well but haven't seen it actually reported by anyone. Put it this way, Johnny has the complete backing of his media colleagues and I don't think they're reporting on this news so much as reacting to it on a personal level ... at least not to date. Maybe someone will take a dispassionate look at this eventually, but honestly ... Dundon needs to start doing a better job handling public relations to avoid the scenario where a personnel decision based on facts and logic can get spun as something rash, cheap and reactionary. He allowed the Kaiton thing to get out of control and he's doing it again. The guy does a really good job handling the hockey side of the franchise, but this kind of stuff is going to continue to keep him from building a good relationship with the market at large.

My long term fear here is that the way he's setting up the long term personnel scenario on the ice will inevitably involve a fair amount of roster turnover, which can sometimes be painful for the fan base. His silence surrounding the Skinner and Faulk deals is a little bit ominous to me. If he makes a value/benefit analysis and does something in the future like moving out another popular player like Hamilton or Teravainen, even if done within the confines of a wise long term strategy ... then he better have learned how to better break "bad news" to his fan base or else it could get really weird around here. NOT saying that those two guys will be dealt anytime soon ... just laying out plausible scenarios. We're always going to have budget constraints and that's always going to lead to unpopular personnel decisions. That's just a fact of life in this kind of market. I just wish he could do a better job of being a straight shooter when it comes to being honest and transparent with his decision making.

CanadaCanes

Sadly, the pandemic has created all sorts of new problems and challenges for many pro sports franchises and Waddell’s early comments on the Forslund stuff sounds a lot like the structure was geared around how all this Covid stuff plays out in terms of fans in the stands, what next season looks like, etc. I think you are going to see a ton of cost cutting by several pro franchises and some of those decisions are certainly not going to go over well here and many other places.