• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Oh, absolutely. I'd love to see Darling bounce back and rebuild his career. What a story it would be if he managed to claw his way back onto a good career arc after crashing and burning ... twice. I'm rooting for the guy.

In his column on The Athletic today, LeBrun posits that the Canes are willing to listen to offers for either TVR or Fleury in exchange for a
Top 9 forward. He says Winnipeg “screams” as a trading partner, depending on how the Byfuglien situation plays out. I think they’d have to sweeten the pot a bit, but you never know, after Rask for Nino.

Fleury is done here. If Brindy doesn't trust him, hes done. And Brindy clearly has zero faith in the guy.
Agreed. And I'm sure TVR is probably expendable-ish because of the combination of Priskie's level of play in the A and TVR's contract situation. I've grown to like TVR. At his worst, he doesn't hurt you much and he pops up with some nice plays frequently enough to earn his keep. That said, his contract is up this summer and he's reached his glass ceiling in terms of value. At $2.3 mil, he's fine but he just doesn't do enough to justify much more than that and is never going to be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy here. If they think Priskie is ready now or will be soon, then you could move TVR. If not, then Fluery is the obvious man out. Brindy would clearly rather dress a coat rack.

Fleury played 9 shifts for 7:09. Only 2 shifts in the 3rd and the first was 7 seconds. The other started with 2:22 left in the game when it was out of reach.

But I agree, TVR’s contract isn’t doing him any favors. Trading him now though means 67 games of Fleury (or Bean) on their off side. The righty options in Charlotte are Priskie, Wood and McKeown. And I think they’d rather leave Priskie in Charlotte for the whole season.

Fleury is done here. If Brindy doesn't trust him, hes done. And Brindy clearly has zero faith in the guy.
Not that he's the only one right now but I swear that Fleury almost every outlet pass just relies on a friggin blind pass around the boards and other teams know that. Turnover machine right now.

Fleury played 9 shifts for 7:09. Only 2 shifts in the 3rd and the first was 7 seconds. The other started with 2:22 left in the game when it was out of reach.

But I agree, TVR’s contract isn’t doing him any favors. Trading him now though means 67 games of Fleury (or Bean) on their off side. The righty options in Charlotte are Priskie, Wood and McKeown. And I think they’d rather leave Priskie in Charlotte for the whole season.
Yeah ... I really doubt they trade TVR during the season unless they are 100% convinced that Priskie is ready. If Bean had any shot at the NHL roster this year as anything other than an injury sub he blew it in camp by not being as good a Fleury, Sellgren and Forsling ... all of whom out-played the guy. That's a bad look. Worth noting that Priskie has jumped right into pro hockey in the A and hasn't missed a beat. He's closer to ready than a lot of people seem to think. The other right siders are limited ... McKeown is what he is and Wood is a bit on the ponderous side.

Bottom line ... they have to fix the possession game and start scoring some freaking goals or none of it matters.

Winnipeg eh?

Well if its TVR for a forward straight up, the only forwards on Winnipeg we can fit under the cap, even after TVR's $2.3 million cap hit is removed are:

Adam Lowry
Andrew Copp
Jack Roslovic
David Gustafsson
Logan Shaw
Gabriel Bourque

Roslovic is on the final year of his entry level deal. Gustafsson in on his first year of his entry level deal. Lowry is basically a more expensive Brock McGinn (and he has ZERO points in 14 games so far this season). Andrew Copp is also similar to Brock McGinn.

Jack Roslovic is the only guy on that list above that I would say is really a top 9 player that could be a difference maker. I highly doubt the Jets would trade him for TVR or Fleury. The kid has quite a bit of potential.

No thank you to Adam Lowry or Andrew Copp please. If you somehow can convince Winnipeg to take both TVR and Brock McGinn, you could in theory trade for Mathieu Perreault. He has as Modified NTC (lists 5 teams he cannot be traded to, I would hope the Canes are not on that list). I'm not exactly sure what we are looking for in top 9 player, but Perreault is still good enough to call a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

If you are trading just Fleury then the list above starts at Roslovic. Adding in McGinn gives you the same list above.

Winnipeg eh?

Well if its TVR for a forward straight up, the only forwards on Winnipeg we can fit under the cap, even after TVR's $2.3 million cap hit is removed are:

Adam Lowry
Andrew Copp
Jack Roslovic
David Gustafsson
Logan Shaw
Gabriel Bourque

Roslovic is on the final year of his entry level deal. Gustafsson in on his first year of his entry level deal. Lowry is basically a more expensive Brock McGinn (and he has ZERO points in 14 games so far this season). Andrew Copp is also similar to Brock McGinn.

Jack Roslovic is the only guy on that list above that I would say is really a top 9 player that could be a difference maker. I highly doubt the Jets would trade him for TVR or Fleury. The kid has quite a bit of potential.

No thank you to Adam Lowry or Andrew Copp please. If you somehow can convince Winnipeg to take both TVR and Brock McGinn, you could in theory trade for Mathieu Perreault. He has as Modified NTC (lists 5 teams he cannot be traded to, I would hope the Canes are not on that list). I'm not exactly sure what we are looking for in top 9 player, but Perreault is still good enough to call a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

If you are trading just Fleury then the list above starts at Roslovic. Adding in McGinn gives you the same list above.
The Jets have nothing we need that we can afford under the cap without giving up a lot more salary than I've seen discussed anywhere other than this post. Now, if they were willing to take on a goodly chunk of Reimer's salary then maybe you could figure something out. But even then, the vast majority of their quality forwards cost $5 million or more. So ... 100% unlikely trade partners unless the Canes are WAY higher on Gustafsson that would seem to make sense.

Fleury has been so frustrating at times that maybe it should just be a simple young D for another young D trade just for the change of scenery. Dallas still has Julius Honka on the trade board and the Canes have the younger brother already in the fold...Fleury for Honka straight up, two former first round picks not working out for their respective teams and a change of scenery for both. Or just get the Pulujurvi deal done and move Fleury and a second round pick to the Oilers for Jesse P and call it a day.

Neither Staal or Haula practiced today. I wonder how many drills RBA filled in on?

Jordan Staal and Huala are both missing practice today. No word on Thursday's game but if they're both out I expect Anton Forsberg to be recalled from Charlotte :0)

RBA says Haula has a right knee issue, the same knee that he had surgery on last year. He says no further surgery required though.

RBA says Haula has a right knee issue, the same knee that he had surgery on last year. He says no further surgery required though.
All kidding aside, I hope they shut him down until he's healthy. This business of limping him along and keeping him on the game roster with no practice doesn't generally end well for anyone.

All kidding aside, I hope they shut him down until he's healthy. This business of limping him along and keeping him on the game roster with no practice doesn't generally end well for anyone.

Yeah, sit him, move Wallmark to 3C and bring Bishop up from Charlotte.

Bishop, Geekie ... somebody. Last year the club trusted their organization depth and it paid off big time. This year they seem more concerned with cap management, and I think it's impacting competitiveness. That's not to say that having a 12th forward magically wins the 2 or 3 games they've done the 11/7 nonsense, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. Especially if the coach doesn't trust that 7th D to get anything out of the guy. For me the whole thing just sends the wrong signal.

OK ... one issue addressed. The Canes recalled Luostarinen from Charlotte. That would give them 12 F so long as one of the vets can go tomorrow night.

Back