• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

The only thing that surprised me is that the Avs are their best friends. I assumed it was the Kong’s.

If y'all haven't checked out the #WorldKindnessDay antics of the @Canes social media team on Twitter, I encourage you to do so. Good stuff...

I assume you mean the part where the Canes social media staff are faux nice to every team in the league except the Capitals ... right? Those guys have been dueling online since the playoff series and it's clear that the Caps crew has exactly zero sense of humor. Which makes the whole thing hilarious to me.

The Canes account even temporarily changed their bio information to "Keeping it classy."

Which is presumably a reference to the Capitals account saying "stay classy, carolina" when the Canes account replied post-series "Bend the knee" on April 24 to the Capitals April 14 pre-series tweet "We must defend what is ours" with a Game of Thrones hashtag and Tom Wilson's face photoshopped onto a John Snow image.

Thread here.

Last edited:
Gibbons had finally played his way up to NHL speed. Kind of shame to send him back down now that he's playing decent ... but yet again, we're not spending any cap money we don't have to spend early on this season.

For the record, Cap Friendly shows the Canes have crept up to slightly above $5 million in what they call deadline cap space. That's the average daily cap cost projected out over the games between now and the deadline subtracted from the total cap. We should be getting close to the point where they've banked enough wiggle room to add a player if they want ... so long as they add that player after the halfway point of the season, at least.

This team should be quite a bit better with Martinook back in the lineup. A 4th line with McGinn and Wallmark and Martinook? I like...a lot.

This team should be quite a bit better with Martinook back in the lineup. A 4th line with McGinn and Wallmark and Martinook? I like...a lot.
Marty also adds another legit PK option to the mix, which is always good depending on the situation. The team has been playing with a bit more reckless physicality of late, and having another big boy around certainly won't hurt either.

Gibbons cleared waivers and was returned to Charlotte. Or Hershey, where the Checkers play tonight, after winning 3-0 last night.

Gibbons cleared waivers and was returned to Charlotte. Or Hershey, where the Checkers play tonight, after winning 3-0 last night.
Ned with the shutout ... and starting to show signs of regaining his form. Wonder how long it will be before we see him with the Canes given Reimer's struggles of late.

Possibly next week if Reimer play like crap again this afternoon.
Reimer promptly plays great behind a poor effort in front of him ... like he was feeling the heat a bit. He had been fairly terrible in both of his last two starts.

Defense has to be better. Brindy needs to give them remedial training in puck handling and catching bouncing pucks.

Defense has to be better. Brindy needs to give them remedial training in puck handling and catching bouncing pucks.
Yeah ... suddenly everybody thinks they're Slavin and can get away with the risks Slavin takes. Guys ... Jaccob is some sort of magician. Stop trying those sweep checks he makes look so easy and play basic positional defense. The game is far more simple than these guys are making it look sometimes.

Luostarinen was recalled today. So Haula might still have a problem. Canes had an off day today, we’ll see what’s up tomorrow.

Luostarinen was recalled today. So Haula might still have a problem. Canes had an off day today, we’ll see what’s up tomorrow.
Or somebody else is dinged up. I wasn't convinced that Martinook was actually 100% and McGinn has been playing hurt for awhile now ... just for starters.

And I keep saying this, but that is why normal teams keep an extra forward on the roster. Because guys get dinged up all the time.

Or somebody else is dinged up. I wasn't convinced that Martinook was actually 100% and McGinn has been playing hurt for awhile now ... just for starters.

And I keep saying this, but that is why normal teams keep an extra forward on the roster. Because guys get dinged up all the time.

I think that if Martinook or McGinn were banged up, we’d see Gibbons back instead of Luostarinen. But I guess we’ll see shortly when they hit the ice for practice.

It wouldn;'t be the worst thing to ease Haula and Martinook back into things by giving them a game off or 2.

Haula didn’t practice today. RBA said he won’t be back “any time soon”

Some interesting pictures from before practice. The Bulls play at United Center tonight so the basketball floor was down. Some of the boys showed off their skills before walking across the parking lot to the Blackhawks practice facility. Slavin sank a shot from half court

Back