• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Ammons Ventures bought it in May 2016. They’re also developing the complex in Morrisville.

Yeah. They bought it to sell it once they move everything to Morrisville ... more or less. I guess they could develop something down there, but for weird reasons that area is starting to perk up in terms of property values. Wegmans is part of it, but there's some fairly heavy hitters in regional development sniffing around in that quadrant of town. There's one sale nearby that was recently completed and another than might be done by 2nd quarter next year ... all driving land prices higher even though the current use is pretty much garbage. That section of Old Wake Forest between the Inner Beltline and Whittaker Mill Rd will look dramatically different in the next 5-6 years.

Yeah. They bought it to sell it once they move everything to Morrisville ... more or less. I guess they could develop something down there, but for weird reasons that area is starting to perk up in terms of property values. Wegmans is part of it, but there's some fairly heavy hitters in regional development sniffing around in that quadrant of town. There's one sale nearby that was recently completed and another than might be done by 2nd quarter next year ... all driving land prices higher even though the current use is pretty much garbage. That section of Old Wake Forest between the Inner Beltline and Whittaker Mill Rd will look dramatically different in the next 5-6 years.

All of which could be long-term bad news for folks living upstream along Crabtree Creek. Although that area is already paved over in a big way, the existing wetlands and open areas absorb a LOT of water. Losing more of them just means faster saturation in big rain events.

All of which could be long-term bad news for folks living upstream along Crabtree Creek. Although that area is already paved over in a big way, the existing wetlands and open areas absorb a LOT of water. Losing more of them just means faster saturation in big rain events.
I wouldn't really worry about that. Modern storm water management is so much more effective and efficient than what we did even a decade ago that it's not funny. More worry about that corridor shifting from Class B and C commercial space to Class A mixed use. That will drive up property values, which is both a good and bad thing if you live in the area. Ask the people in neighborhoods around both sides of the North Hills area.

Andy Ammons graduated HS with me. He was a PG and QB. I think he is the oldest kid, they have at least 1 sister along with Jeff. They developed the big Heritage project in Wake Forest along with other areas. If you want to know where they lived back then look up Ammons Dr. , right off Six Forks Rd not too far north of where it intersects Millbrook Rd. Maybe one of them still lives there.

Andy Ammons graduated HS with me. He was a PG and QB. I think he is the oldest kid, they have at least 1 sister along with Jeff. They developed the big Heritage project in Wake Forest along with other areas. If you want to know where they lived back then look up Ammons Dr. , right off Six Forks Rd not too far north of where it intersects Millbrook Rd. Maybe one of them still lives there.

Jeff sat in the row in front of me when we were in 117. Andy came to a couple of games and found out that my daughter played hockey. He started asking all kinds of questions about capacity and playing times, etc. I didn’t think anything of it until I saw his name and picture in the paper announcing The Factory development. Both very nice guys.

Their Dad Judd was like another (crazy) Uncle when I was growing up. He and my Grandfather were close. Good people.

You graduate about 1978?

yes 1978, I am an old fogey
1980, so almost as old a fogey and we likely crossed paths there. My daughter can't imagine the things we used to do in h/s. She's a jr now.
Greg Theodorakis and a couple football players used to habitually requisition my tests to copy from in Mrs. Moore's class is one of my treasured memories.
Years later, my firm did Heritage Middle on Ammons' project up there.

I remember Greg Theodorakis , met him a few times , he played baseball. During my HS years Millbrook was pretty bad in FB and hoops. They later changed FB coaches and had a good FB team for a long streak.

My son ran track for Apex. He had a meet at Millbrook that I went to. I mentioned to another
Apex parent "I used to come here every day" and she was really confused. She figured I was a transplant but I told her I graduated from Millbrook.

I think f/b made the playoffs my last year. Recall going to the homecoming game, drinking and did not recognize my g/f who had come home from Chapel Hole for the weekend. She cried. Not a good scene.

Black Friday sale again this season will drop all lower bowl (not 1st 2 rows) seats to $50 for 6 non-premium games in Dec and early January. No additional vouchers this season for STMs who are being undercut for these 6 games. Instead we just get the 2 days of early access and an additional $10 off the Black Friday price.

There is still value there, I grabbed 3 pairs of extra tickets, better seats than my season tickets, for just $40 each. With just 2 full season tickets and the need to juggle 4 people in my family going for many of the games, any chance I get to grab 2 additional tickets for under my STM price is appreciated. And those 6 games should be pretty crowded in the lower bowl as a result of this sale, so that is also good. But as the number of STMs hopefully continues to increase, their need to pander to us when they undercut us will lessen. No additional vouchers this season is evidence of that.

Boy, this predator's game might be a full house. Was trying to exchange some seats and very few "appear" available.

Tonight's game was slim pickings even 3 weeks ago. I ended up having to do an exchange with an upgrade 3 weeks ago when getting my 2 additionals for this game. Lower level North was completely sold out.

Not sure if anyone else did such an exchange yet, but both times this season when I have exchanged some of my season tix for another game AND selected better (aka more expense) seats when exchanging my tickets, rather than having to pay the price difference immediately, the process just added the extra cost to my account and increased my monthly payments to cover that additional cost. I was surprised the first time it did that, as I was expecting to have to pay the difference in ticket price for my exchange immediately. Instead it just adds that additional cost from the exchange/upgrade to your STM balance and spreads it out over your remaining payments.

Yeah ... I like the new exchange interface on the whole. It's pretty intuitive and I do really like the automatic account adjustment. That part of the new system gets no complaints from me.

And yeah ... I swapped out pre season tickets for the Black Friday game because I knew I'd have family in town. I suspect a lot of STHers did the same.

Necas didn’t practice and didn’t fly to Boston. So unless there is an emergency call up, RBA is going with 11 forwards/7 dmen again tomorrow.

Necas didn’t practice and didn’t fly to Boston. So unless there is an emergency call up, RBA is going with 11 forwards/7 dmen again tomorrow.
Looked like he dinged that ankle pretty good when he got knocked into the boards against Nashville. I don't mind the 7/11 on no notice in a back to back scenario, but once again ... continuing to do this is dumb. This is a one game road trip and Charlotte doesn't even have a game until Friday.

I'm not crazy about 7/11 against the Bruins. They got away with it against the Bolts, but the B's are on a tear right now. 8-0-2 in their last 10 and a 7 game winning streak.

Back