• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

I would guess that if you had any current familiarity with Newark ... or Hoboken for that matter ... then you'd probably feel the same way about them that you do about Durham. Which is why it's insulting when people make broad generalizations based on fictional works or limited, outdated personal experience.

I am very well aware that Hoboken is very different than it was when I was a kid and when my father was a kid. There are many pricey condos/townhouses/etc. there now. I don't know if that kind of development has extended to Jersey City or Newark maybe it has and I have not heard about it. When I get back I will give a report on Newark near the Prudential center.

Hoboken? Ha! Left my van parked on the waterfront there after driving a friend to NYC after he graduated in December 85 or 86. Damn sure couldn’t afford NYC rates then. The other 2 Bergenfield boys on the trip and I were quite glad to see it in the same place and condition we left it. Dumped all our fresh NYC bagels on the damned carpet when we pulled out. Tragic loss to start the return trip!

My wife and I lived just upriver from there from just before we were married in 1990 until we built and moved into a house in the New Jersey burbs in early 1994. The Jersey towns on the Palisades across the river from Lower and Midtown Manhattan run--south to north--from Jersey City to Hoboken to Weehawken to Union City to West New York to Guttenberg to North Bergen and we lived in a high-rise apartment building in West New York, across from roughly West 60th Street in Manhattan. It was--especially without kids and with jobs in Manhattan--an awesome place to live. It was also a very different life from the one we've lived since moving to Raleigh in 1995.

I lived in Fairview which is on the river and then Piscataway which is next to New Brunswick(which is where most of Rutgers is located. )

I worked for J&J in the early-mid 80s. Started in Piscataway and moved to New Brunswick when the new headquarters was built. Stromboli’s at Stuff yer Face, ice cream and fudge covered Oreos next door at Thomas Sweets, cheesesteaks at Greasy Tony’s, post softball pizza and beer at place on Easton Ave. whose name escapes me..,good stuff.

Rutgers had a rare football game on TV years ago and the broadcaster pronounced it Pis-cah-TAH-way instead of Pis-CAT-a-way.

OK ... once again. I created the grab bag thread for this stuff. So maybe, perhaps ... PLEASE ... we could keep the completely off topic stuff there? And yeah, I'm guilty too. I'll do better.

Back to misc Canes news ....

Some things I’d like to see changed.

don’t ever use the anthem singer from last night again. The songs have words not just vocalizations approximating words. And also a tune-if you change the tune and don’t say the words then it’s not the anthem, it’s something else. The guy from Sunday was phenomenal.

get a new person to do the post game radio. That guy is hard to listen too. He has too many opinions that are just inaccurate. If I want analysis it’s should be someone with some ability and actual information instead of pure speculation.

don’t ever use the anthem singer from last night again. The songs have words not just vocalizations approximating words. And also a tune-if you change the tune and don’t say the words then it’s not the anthem, it’s something else.

I thought she was trying for the record for most inadvertent key changes in a single rendition. To be honest, she actually looked embarrassed after the Canadian anthem. I hope the Jets' moms don't think that we butcher their song like that all the time.

Dougie Hamilton was placed on IR yesterday. RBA said they don’t expect him back this season. I don’t know if that includes the playoffs or not; the theoretical recovery time frame would put him somewhere around the conference finals.

He was in the locker room last night.

I'd like to think we could do better in terms of anthem singers in general if it was a priority. There's PLENTY of vocal talent in this town.

On Dougie ... I think they're gonna play it soft on expected return time until he's had the first real evaluation after setting. That's usually in about a month, and it wouldn't shock me if they soft play it then too ... even if it's good news. No reason to make a big deal out of "maybe." However, the management team needs to take the break to settle on the path forward. Even with the existing 6 playing fairly well against the Jets last night, I'm not at all sold that just proceeding with those guys is a good idea. They'll need to figure out the other options in the system ... Bean most likely, or McKeown or Priskie, but probably just Bean ... and see what could be done outside the system as well. You're not going to replace Dougie, but you can make a choice of which of Fluery or TVR you want to live with and find somebody to compliment that guy a bit better. Then you hope that Slavin, Gardiner and Pesce can all chip in a little more on the offensive side.

I hope they don’t trade a first for a short term fix.

Fleury looked good last night.

If we could be sure 74, 22, 6, or 51 doesn’t miss time I’d be comfortable staying within the organization. But we can’t. So maybe pick up a steady 3rd pair guy and count on the offense coming from pieces we already have. I guess if 74 goes down that’s a non recoverable issue with 19 already out.

If we could be sure 74, 22, 6, or 51 doesn’t miss time I’d be comfortable staying within the organization. But we can’t. So maybe pick up a steady 3rd pair guy and count on the offense coming from pieces we already have. I guess if 74 goes down that’s a non recoverable issue with 19 already out.
Stating the obvious here but the PP sure looks a helluva lot different with out Dougie. The killers really back off into a "zone" look and almost dare our defense to fire the puck. Gotta get better there or maybe go with one defenseman and a forward on the points.

In general, I agree ... but Fluery looking good last night shows up the real problem. No matter how solid he plays, he just doesn't have anything to offer besides the basics. And neither does TVR. They're a vanilla 3rd pairing at best, and the question is whether or not that's good enough. In order to play the way they're built to play, this team needs the back end to participate in the offensive zone in fairly significant ways. Not sure that pairing can realistically do that on the regular.

I thought she was trying for the record for most inadvertent key changes in a single rendition. To be honest, she actually looked embarrassed after the Canadian anthem. I hope the Jets' moms don't think that we butcher their song like that all the time.
I didn't like her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner from a previous game, either, as it drags on and on (I just like it sung in the more traditional style, although I also enjoy a few variations). But it seemed she got lost in vocalizing the Canadian anthem and couldn't find her way home. The smattering of applause from the crowd said it all. And yes, she did look embarrassed - and I felt sorry for her.

For y'all who don't sing (in public), do note that both of those anthems are fairly difficult to perform ... in completely different ways. The American anthem requires a ton of range and has a really awkward melodic pathway. You really have to pay attention to technique or else you can crash and burn awfully easily. The Canadian anthem is "easy" technically, but there's just nothing there to dig into for the soloist. So when you try and go on vocal runs, you have to be super technical to avoid landing in the wrong place ... when everything about the melody is telling you to relax and take it easy. In both cases, most listeners are happy enough to sing along while the soloist keeps it crisp and simple ... but singers have an innate need to showboat. Thus the MANY horrible renditions of the anthem at sporting events.

Back