• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

You STH guys can offset the rising cost of 2020/21 Canes season tickets by buying up a whole bunch of outdoor game tickets and reselling them for ridiculous prices to Caps fans on the open market!!!

Andy Strickland, who covers the Blues for Fox Sports Midwest, says there is “some speculation“ that the Canes will relocate their AHL affiliate to Chicago, after Vegas pulls out at the end of the season. The theory is that Waddell worked with the Wolves owners when they were the Thrashers affiliate. The owners founded the team in 1994 in the old IHL. But Waddell only worked with their GM, Wendell Young, for 2 years before Atlanta relocated.

As mentioned earlier, the Blues will be without an AHL affiliate next season. They‘re currently in San Antonio, but the Rampage were bought by Vegas and will relocate, pending league approval. They were in Chicago for 3 years prior to moving to San Antonio. Before that, they owned the Peoria Rivermen but sold them to a local businessman, who in turn sold them to the Vancouver Canucks, who relocated the franchise to Utica, bucking the trend of west coast teams moving their affiliates closer.

Last edited:
seems like they would need a really good reason to not have the AHL team a 3 hour car drive away. I know Chicago is not a long flight to RDU either.

Well that would kill the cross promotion opportunities. I suppose if there is money to be made/saved by moving the Checkers to Chicago it will happen, no matter how illogical that might appear on the outside.

Pierre LeBrun says the Canes have put 1 of their 1st rounders in play in an attempt to bring in a dman. It would not be for a rental; we know how Dundon feels about that. He specifically mentions Ristolainen and Montour from Buffalo. Both are 25 and right shots. Ristolainen has 2 years left at $5.4 million AAV, Montour is arbitration eligible after this season on a $3.4 million contract.

Well that would kill the cross promotion opportunities. I suppose if there is money to be made/saved by moving the Checkers to Chicago it will happen, no matter how illogical that might appear on the outside.
Chicago is a mature AHL market with an established team organization. It's a plug and play solution, whereas I understand the Canes feel the need to provide the Checkers with a fair amount of front office and marketing support. Not sure how much cost we're talking about, but that expense would go to $0.00 if you shifted the affiliate to Chicago ... so long as the current ownership group remains in place.

Not saying it's a great idea. But it's not without merits.

Yikes...Rasmus Ristolainen, he of -148 for his career?!?! (that is the worst of any active NHL player). Brandon Montour with a 1st round pick involved?!?!?! (again, Buffalo overpaid for him in the trade with the Ducks).

I know we might be pretty desperate, but man, I don't want to give a 1st round pick for either of those guys.

Chicago is a mature AHL market with an established team organization. It's a plug and play solution, whereas I understand the Canes feel the need to provide the Checkers with a fair amount of front office and marketing support. Not sure how much cost we're talking about, but that expense would go to $0.00 if you shifted the affiliate to Chicago ... so long as the current ownership group remains in place.

Not saying it's a great idea. But it's not without merits.

The Checkers website doesn’t list a GM, only a Sr. VP of Hockey Operations. I guess that means that Waddell is the de facto GM.

Yikes...Rasmus Ristolainen, he of -148 for his career?!?! (that is the worst of any active NHL player). Brandon Montour with a 1st round pick involved?!?!?! (again, Buffalo overpaid for him in the trade with the Ducks).

I know we might be pretty desperate, but man, I don't want to give a 1st round pick for either of those guys.
I'm sure playing in Buffahole land doesn't help your +/- but a fair point none the less

Addendum: I know that we would miss Dougie but the point position of the power play is a shell of what it used to be with him out there. Slavin is top of the heap Dwise but that ain't his calling and he's as predictable as my stop by Bojangles prior to canes home games.

Last edited:

Me neither. The price bar is being set by the demand though. TONS of teams need help on D right now.

I agree we need help on D however I don’t expect there’s a magic bullet to fix our issue(s).

this team has never been able to gain any consistency this season before and after Dougie. Last season they played well consistently. They played well and lost or played well and won but the quality of play was there for 3 periods aside from a couple games. This season they’ve won but without really playing well in many cases and there have been a lot of bad games and bad periods.

we have not been hard to play against aside from a few stretches. We don’t swarm.

that didn’t start when Dougie went out it started before that. That’s not because our goalies have been bad. To me it looks like we just don’t have that desire to out compete the other guy. We react instead of assert. We don’t win battles. We really don’t do anything particularly well.

we added Gardiner Haula and Dzingle. More skill but softer than who they replaced.

I almost feel like they’re making things too fun. Maybe instead of enjoying Vegas they needed to be resting or practicing.

I almost feel like they’re making things too fun. Maybe instead of enjoying Vegas they needed to be resting or practicing.

I mean, they played golf ... which is a rest day ... and had a normal practice in their two days in Vegas. It was hardly a beach vacation. More like a regularly scheduled day off that happened to fall when they were in Vegas. They could have gone to Dallas and done the same thing.

And bottom line ... grinding these guys' legs to dust with extra practice sessions won't fix their problems. The D group just doesn't have 6 guys who can make up three fuctioning pairings and the forwards are sort of a mishmash of ill fitting bits right now. I was worried about powering up that first line for good reason. I don't like the message or the mix it leaves behind. This roster was meant to be balanced, and that move unbalances things up front fairly significantly.

Pierre LeBrun says the Canes have put 1 of their 1st rounders in play in an attempt to bring in a dman. It would not be for a rental; we know how Dundon feels about that. He specifically mentions Ristolainen and Montour from Buffalo. Both are 25 and right shots. Ristolainen has 2 years left at $5.4 million AAV, Montour is arbitration eligible after this season on a $3.4 million contract.

If one of our first-rounders is in play for a defenseman, then my guess would be it is Matt Dumba that is the target.

Wild seem to be coming to terms with the pending rebuild and their top-4 is crowded. He's available for the right price and we do have the assets to win out over any competition that doesn't get too crazy.

Dumba is under contract for three more seasons after this one at $6M/season, so definitely not a rental. NTC (10-team no-trade) doesn't kick in until season after next.

24 years old. Right-shot. Has the skill package for not only 5-on-5 but also power play unit duty although can't get past Suter and Spurgeon at the moment.

Good Dougie insurance for not only this season but in case contract extension talks do not go well.

If one of our first-rounders is in play for a defenseman, then my guess would be it is Matt Dumba that is the target.

Wild seem to be coming to terms with the pending rebuild and their top-4 is crowded. He's available for the right price and we do have the assets to win out over any competition that doesn't get too crazy.

Dumba is under contract for three more seasons after this one at $6M/season, so definitely not a rental. NTC (10-team no-trade) doesn't kick in until season after next.

24 years old. Right-shot. Has the skill package for not only 5-on-5 but also power play unit duty although can't get past Suter and Spurgeon at the moment.

Good Dougie insurance for not only this season but in case contract extension talks do not go well.

But, as LeBrun points out, the Wild got a roster player, a prospect and 1st rounder for Jason Zucker. Are you prepared to up the ante for Dumba?

But, as LeBrun points out, the Wild got a roster player, a prospect and 1st rounder for Jason Zucker. Are you prepared to up the ante for Dumba?
Toronto's first (assumed to be acquired to trade for a player with term), Suzuki (they need a young center for the rebuild), and Haula (a center for now...extend or not).

Those may not be the pieces, but as long as the fan's crazy talk of including Necas is nipped in the bud, the answer would be yes.

I mean, they played golf ...

Yeah I get that. Just in general. This team seems unfocused on the details. I just get a sense that they think everything should be fun - and it’s a game they’re right but they have to put in the work.

Not suggesting grinding them into the ice.

You can’t explain away the issues we’ve had this season by Dougie being hurt. The top line being too stacked. The goalies not being good enough. Those are all valid issues but the problems have been present all season. And more concerning, things seem to be deteriorating instead of improving.

our D pairings are not ideal with TVR AND Fleury both in the lineup but that doesn’t explain the wheels coming off. Both of them are legitimate NHL defensemen AND the issues aren’t the guys not being talented enough.

I almost think loading up one line is Brindys way of not punishing those 3 for the other 9 not doing their jobs. It’s not like we’ve faced a steady dose of Boston Pittsburgh Tampa Washington. We’re being made to look bad by mid pack teams.

Back