• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

If one of our first-rounders is in play for a defenseman, then my guess would be it is Matt Dumba that is the target.

Wild seem to be coming to terms with the pending rebuild and their top-4 is crowded. He's available for the right price and we do have the assets to win out over any competition that doesn't get too crazy.

Dumba is under contract for three more seasons after this one at $6M/season, so definitely not a rental. NTC (10-team no-trade) doesn't kick in until season after next.

24 years old. Right-shot. Has the skill package for not only 5-on-5 but also power play unit duty although can't get past Suter and Spurgeon at the moment.

Good Dougie insurance for not only this season but in case contract extension talks do not go well.

So adding Dumba via a trade would require a few things to happen:

1) We would have to trade out around $1.9 million in NHL cap hit (aka TVR would have to go out to keep the Canes under the cap)

2) Good bye Joel Edmundson via UFA. There would be zero effort made to retain him. Dougie, Slavin, Pesce, Dumba, Gardiner would be your top 5 next season. Not sure who the other D man would be but they would be cheaper DMen (Bean? Fleury)?

3) Expansion draft? If we somehow re-signed Dougie (would seem less likely with Dumba in the fold) we would have 4 Dmen we would want to protect in the 2021 expansion draft (Dougie, Slavin, Pesce, Dumba). You can do that of course, but then you can only protect 4 forwards. Jordan Staal takes up one of those spots....then Aho, and Svech….and then? Turbo or Necas?

Something else eventually would have to give. Sure we could trade away one of those 4 Dmen (again assuming we retain Dougie), but you almost have to think ahead to the implications of your projected roster at the end of next season.

Dumba would require a pretty sweet package to shake loose. Definitely one of our 1st round picks + Jake Bean + TVR+ ??? Is he really worth that? We didn't think Faulk was worth paying the money Dumba makes. WHy would we think Dumba is worth that money?

Last edited:
I'm not advocating acquiring Dumba. But if a first is in play, then it would presumably be for a player with term, not a rental.

Now, keeping that player with term is another matter entirely. And I personally wouldn't miss Gardiner if he was odd man out.

Our non-draft off-season wasn't all that exciting now that the newness has worn off the acquisitions. Seems we picked some parts that just are not fitting.

Would not surprise me if Haula went at the deadline in a hockey trade before losing him to UFA (although just gaining salary cap room by not extending after the self-rental is also a good thing) and that two or more of Dzingel, Edmundson, and Gardiner became pieces of other deals, whether this off-season or before.

This is a wheeler-dealer bunch in search of performance value and building toward a contending team in the next couple of seasons. No one but the core is safe.

I almost think loading up one line is Brindys way of not punishing those 3 for the other 9 not doing their jobs. It’s not like we’ve faced a steady dose of Boston Pittsburgh Tampa Washington. We’re being made to look bad by mid pack teams.
Part of me thinks it's Brindy's way of challenging them to show him they've got better than what they've been giving. Look ... Staal and McGinn aside (because not being able to finish is their only problem, and not a new one), giving Necas a break because he's a child, and giving Williams a break because he's only been here a minute ... pretty much everybody else in that bottom 9 has been either hot garbage for a long stretch or has been so erratic as to be unreliable. That's a bunch of guys. You can't trade 'em all ... but you can trade one or two or them.

But, as LeBrun points out, the Wild got a roster player, a prospect and 1st rounder for Jason Zucker. Are you prepared to up the ante for Dumba?
Dumba is good. Really solid in all phases with a fair amount of upside still to tap. In my book he's miles better than Suter now, and is only stuck because their coach is a stubborn, stubborn man. And that contract is expensive but not stupidly so. I dunno, but I know that somebody's going to pay through the nose to pry him out of there. You don't get good right side D for cheap ... and Carolina has a really deep supply of quality assets in their pocket.

Any goalies out there that can be had for a prospect and a first rounder? Or do we wait on Ned? Someone on the Athletic slotted that DiPietro kid up there in Vancouver as trade bait, but he doesn't seem to be any sort of upgrade over Reimer and Mr Azek

Corey Pronman lists Julien Gauthier as a prospect who could be moved at the deadline. Like Fleury this year, Gauthier loses his waivers exemption next year and would probably be snapped up in a heartbeat if he didn’t make the team out of camp. Jesse Puljujarvi and Julius Honka are also on his list, as is Michael DiPietro, whose path in Vancouver is blocked by Demko and Markstrom, unless they choose not to extend him. They’re sitting right at the cap, thanks in part to the $3 million recapture penalty on Luongo, so they may decide to move on.

Corey Pronman lists Julien Gauthier as a prospect who could be moved at the deadline. Like Fleury this year, Gauthier loses his waivers exemption next year and would probably be snapped up in a heartbeat if he didn’t make the team out of camp. Jesse Puljujarvi and Julius Honka are also on his list, as is Michael DiPietro, whose path in Vancouver is blocked by Demko and Markstrom, unless they choose not to extend him. They’re sitting right at the cap, thanks in part to the $3 million recapture penalty on Luongo, so they may decide to move on.

I know we have talked at length in the past about Puljujarvi but if the Canes are not going to really give Gauthier a shot as a full time player soon why not just do a hockey one for one swap of Jesse P for Gauthier and see what Puljujarvi might have next season playing with his fellow Finns? That type of trade would seem to be fair from both sides, two first round picks swapping teams, the Oilers love big wingers and the Canes love the Finns.

Dumba is good. Really solid in all phases with a fair amount of upside still to tap. In my book he's miles better than Suter now, and is only stuck because their coach is a stubborn, stubborn man. And that contract is expensive but not stupidly so. I dunno, but I know that somebody's going to pay through the nose to pry him out of there. You don't get good right side D for cheap ... and Carolina has a really deep supply of quality assets in their pocket.
I hope they make a solid run at him, even if it costs us a pick and some decent talent. Still continuing to mature and solid. Anybody that has the cajones to slash Ryan Reeves hard enough to get a fine says something.

I know we have talked at length in the past about Puljujarvi but if the Canes are not going to really give Gauthier a shot as a full time player soon why not just do a hockey one for one swap of Jesse P for Gauthier and see what Puljujarvi might have next season playing with his fellow Finns? That type of trade would seem to be fair from both sides, two first round picks swapping teams, the Oilers love big wingers and the Canes love the Finns.
I think you avoid that move because you'd be acquiring a guy with the same issues as they one you're giving up. Both are purely one way players with a good, but limited skill set and a solid physical makeup. If you can't find a role in the NHL for Gauthier, then you aren't finding a role for Puljujarvi.

So adding Dumba via a trade would require a few things to happen:

1) We would have to trade out around $1.9 million in NHL cap hit (aka TVR would have to go out to keep the Canes under the cap)

2) Good bye Joel Edmundson via UFA. There would be zero effort made to retain him. Dougie, Slavin, Pesce, Dumba, Gardiner would be your top 5 next season. Not sure who the other D man would be but they would be cheaper DMen (Bean? Fleury)?

3) Expansion draft? If we somehow re-signed Dougie (would seem less likely with Dumba in the fold) we would have 4 Dmen we would want to protect in the 2021 expansion draft (Dougie, Slavin, Pesce, Dumba). You can do that of course, but then you can only protect 4 forwards. Jordan Staal takes up one of those spots....then Aho, and Svech….and then? Turbo or Necas?

Something else eventually would have to give. Sure we could trade away one of those 4 Dmen (again assuming we retain Dougie), but you almost have to think ahead to the implications of your projected roster at the end of next season.

Dumba would require a pretty sweet package to shake loose. Definitely one of our 1st round picks + Jake Bean + TVR+ ??? Is he really worth that? We didn't think Faulk was worth paying the money Dumba makes. WHy would we think Dumba is worth that money?
Great points Cmal on the expansion draft protected list, you have to start worrying about those lists now and the roster balance when it comes to your key guys. I love how Dumba plays the game but I agree that the cost to acquire him might be too steep to make sense.

I think you avoid that move because you'd be acquiring a guy with the same issues as they one you're giving up. Both are purely one way players with a good, but limited skill set and a solid physical makeup. If you can't find a role in the NHL for Gauthier, then you aren't finding a role for Puljujarvi.
I still wonder why Gauthier is not really given a fair shake to stick with the big club but they can bring in a guy like Dzingel and overpay him to be a bust here. I'd almost rather have them trade away Dzingel for whatever you can get and let Gauthier have his roster spot to show what he can do for more than a 3-4 game audition.

I still wonder why Gauthier is not really given a fair shake to stick with the big club but they can bring in a guy like Dzingel and overpay him to be a bust here. I'd almost rather have them trade away Dzingel for whatever you can get and let Gauthier have his roster spot to show what he can do for more than a 3-4 game audition.

Signing him really closed off the possibility of more than 1 Checker making the jump, and that was really dependent on Williams not coming back.

RBA said Dzingel was a little nicked up and is expected to play tomorrow

I mean, he got more minutes in the pre season than any other forward, so he got the chance to show what he had. And what he has is a very specific game in the offensive zone that Brindy doesn't think fits with the team setup. Personally, I get that.

That’s true but half of our forwards don’t seem to be working with the team setup.
Correct ... which I was discussing above/on the previous page. This is the kind of scenario that gets coaches fired even when things may or may not be their fault. This roster just isn't gelling on the ice, even though the guys seem real close off of it.

Personally, I think the Canes have been soft and easy to play against this year, last year they were relentless on the forecheck and gave the opposition no time and space, this year I find them to be a little too much on the skill and not enough on the physical, grinding style, but that's what you get with Dzingel, Necas, Huala,etc added. They could use a bit more size and grit up front and need to be harder to play against most nights.

Back