• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Considering that David Cotton was worrying people (including me) that he might not want to sign with the Canes, the fact that in the end he did is a good sign. It probably didn't hurt our case that we cleared out a pile of prospects and he would likely slide right into an AHL top 9 role immediately. If signing his brother too helped seal the deal then fine, they can hang out for a season in Charlotte.

Consider David Cotton to be another dart at the dartboard.

Last edited:
Yeah ... and again, be careful not to over-value a player simply because of college success, especially forwards. Cotton was a very, very good college forward playing a leadership role on a good team. He's solid in all phases, although maybe a bit more solid in the offensive zone, but not a standout at any one thing. He's a classic college all-purpose forward and those guys generally end up looking more like Craig Adams than, let's say Danny Heatley. He's just the first big time scored to come out of college that popped to mind.

Still ... it's good to have guys like that in the system. You need pluggers who can step up. Guys like McGinn or Martinook (or the aforementioned Adams) make a team tick on a lot of levels. Here's hoping Cotton the younger turns into a guy like that ... or better. That would be cool too.

As a 9th round pick, I thought Adams might have been the last draft pick by the Whalers (as they were the Hurricanes the following draft year), but alas, that honor goes to the legendary Askhat Rakhmatullin drafted 8 spots later.

What did Karmanos do about pay during the lockouts? I don't recall him cutting pay but I could be wrong.

NHL postpones combine, draft and awards.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28954597/nhl-postpones-draft-combine-awards-due-coronavirus
Nobody got paid during lockouts except for hockey staff and the building operations guys who were on salary. So ... basically the same thing Dundon is doing. Back then it was accepted practice. Now, it's Twitter War.

And FWIW, when the Federal stimulus package passes on Friday ... presumptively ... those arena workers will be doing fine with unemployment payments jacked up by the new bill. But right now the optics seem to matter a lot more than any practical concerns. I feel for the people who are losing income due to the leagues shutting down, but it's not like the leagues made this decision willingly to try and screw their workers. Also, it's not like they are alone ... these shutdowns cross a ton of industries and I don't see all these white knights charging in to demand that residential roofers get covered out of their companies' pockets ... or whatever other example you want to use. The fury seems to be focused largely on entertainment companies and sports teams. It's turning into a weirdly specific class fight.

Last edited:
since many arenas are shared with the NBA it would make sense for both NHL and NBA to do the same thing in terms of when they resume. They don't both have to start with the playoffs , they can decide that on their own.

Jordan Staal did a video conference call today, I assume it was for team captains. He said it's tough not knowing when he needs to be in top shape. He probably has home workout equipment and maybe a bike to ride outdoors.

That's so cute, I'm not even going to make a joke about his son having more skill then him. No sir, I'm not going to go there.

Eddie lack retired at 32. Last few years he has only played in a few games at the AHL level. He also coaches Arizona St. team. They are 22-11-3 this season .

Eddie lack retired at 32. Last few years he has only played in a few games at the AHL level. He also coaches Arizona St. team. They are 22-11-3 this season .
For clarity ... Eddie was a volunteer goalie coach for ASU. Awesome guy, and I wish him the best. Shame he was one of Francis' failed goalie gambles in Raleigh. If he had worked out here he would have been a freaking legend because of his personality.

For clarity ... Eddie was a volunteer goalie coach for ASU. Awesome guy, and I wish him the best. Shame he was one of Francis' failed goalie gambles in Raleigh. If he had worked out here he would have been a freaking legend because of his personality.
I blame Peters

Solid default position, I'll admit. He certainly didn't help matters, but I'm not sure Eddie was really ever going to be a quality starter in this league.

I thought the consensus here was that it was David Marcoux’s fault because he tried to change just about everything?

The Athletic ranked the NHL's broadcast teams according to in-market and out-of-market fans' opinions. John & Tripp took the top honors. I think you already know who finished dead last: The Jack Edwards Show.

The Athletic ranked the NHL's broadcast teams according to in-market and out-of-market fans' opinions. John & Tripp took the top honors. I think you already know who finished dead last: The Jack Edwards Show.

Just to amplify, John and Tripp finished first in both the local and out of town polls. The biggest surprise to me was how high Washington finished, 16th overall, 16th locally and 13th out of town. IMO Beninati is an eyelash better than Edwards, but Laughlin is brutal, I’d take Brickley over him any day.

That Edwards finished last isn‘s surprising. What is a mild surprise is that even his home town viewers don’t like him much, he was 27th locally.

Back