• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Latest rumor is top 8 teams get byes in round 1. Everybody else gets best of 5 series. Canes would play Rangers in round 1. Best of 7 after the 1st round.

I approve.

My biggest hang up with a lot of the proposals was the Leafs, with their subpar points percentage in the Eastern conference, being treated as an equal with the rest of the top 3 in each division while a team like the Canes, with a higher point percentage than the Leafs, had to play a series just to get into the playoffs. This proposal eliminates my beef with that. I consider this much more fair than 7 plays 10, 8 plays 9 while the top 3 in each division as of the stoppage are automatically in the playoffs. I expect a few Leafs fans will have a much different opinion.

Last edited:
Of all the teams in the East that would be in the playoff mix, the Rangers are probably the one team that the Canes match up against the worst, bar none. If you look at the recent history against the Rangers along with the goaltending that the Rangers have with Lundqvist and the Russians, the Canes in their own heads would hate this series. That's just a horrible matchup, give me the Islanders, the Leafs, the Blue Jackets, the Panthers...anyone but the freaking Rangers in a best of 5 play in set up. I just cannot recall many games ever in the past 4-5 years where the Canes played the Rangers where the Canes didnt shit the bed.

They did finally win up at MSG after a long time. But I'm sure the Canes would not look forward to this. NYC is not going to host the games so that's a plus.

Of all the teams in the East that would be in the playoff mix, the Rangers are probably the one team that the Canes match up against the worst, bar none. If you look at the recent history against the Rangers along with the goaltending that the Rangers have with Lundqvist and the Russians, the Canes in their own heads would hate this series. That's just a horrible matchup, give me the Islanders, the Leafs, the Blue Jackets, the Panthers...anyone but the freaking Rangers in a best of 5 play in set up. I just cannot recall many games ever in the past 4-5 years where the Canes played the Rangers where the Canes didnt shit the bed.

Well, we have 1 win at The Garden this century, right?

Rangers swept us this year, by a cumulative 17-9 score. Lundqvist played the first 3, Igor Shesterkin the 4th.

Players approved 24 team playoffs. Looks like play will start in late July. Probably would end late Sept. which probably pushes next season to start in Dec. They still need to figure out where to play. Edmonton making a big push to be a site.

The Carolina Hurricanes Foundation has set up an online auction with proceeds going to the Carolina Small Business Development Fund. Various items from last year’s playoffs and a few other things are included.

Waddell and Staal had a presser earlier today. Depending on the playoffs timetable, we could have Pesce back for part of it. He was seeing a surgeon today, he could be ready by early to mid-August.

Waddell also said negotiations on the AHL affiliate are “front and center“ and there should be a resolution next week.

Enjoying the replay of the clinching game of our 2002 ECF win over the Leafs on NHL Network this afternoon...I forgot how good Archie and CuJo were in this game!

CuJo was insanely good in that game 6. We should have won the game by a lot. Its also crazy to see all of the hooking and holding going on all over the ice. It was a different game back then for sure.

True on both points. I do NOT miss Obstruction Unlimited on defense, but it's easy to watch Archie doing his thing and miss that. I loved that little semi-autonomous trash can.

Canes wanted lower seeds in round 1 to win 4 games rather than 3. Obviously the lower seeds were not in favor of that plan. I wonder if that came from Waddell or Dundon? I don't see a problem with that idea.

Back