• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

I have to say that one thing I appreciate about the coverage of the Hurricanes in The Athletic has been the general evenhandedness with which they treat the market. When we deserve criticism, we get it ... when we don't, largely we don't.

It's hilarious whenever the 2006 Cup victory is mentioned over there, folks come out of the woodwork to put an asterisk on it.

Because of all of the injuries that Buffalo and Edmonton suffered and it still took the Canes the full seven games in each round to win. And apparently the fact that it was the first season after the locked out season plays into this as well. Not sure what, though

And I finally read that article about the 85-86 Whalers. Good stuff. It really is amazing how many coaches and front office folks that the team gave birth to.

I really liked that article as well. Shame that team only won a single, 3-game, playoff series in almost 20 years. Even given our long droughts as the Hurricanes, we've been really lucky/spoiled to see what we've seen here.

(but F any 2006 asterisk... that's just complete crap)

I have to say that one thing I appreciate about the coverage of the Hurricanes in The Athletic has been the general evenhandedness with which they treat the market. When we deserve criticism, we get it ... when we don't, largely we don't.

Maybe the reason is they stole all the legit writers from elsewhere? Burnside, LeBrun, Custance, Mirtle, Strang, etc.

Maybe the reason is they stole all the legit writers from elsewhere? Burnside, LeBrun, Custance, Mirtle, Strang, etc.
Yeah ... and the other side of that coin is that they didn't hire the clowns with the stupid hard baked stereotypical opinions. There are plenty of those guys left over at the Boston Globe, the Toronto Sun, and the Chicago Tribune, just to point out a few of the worst ... although the Edmonton sports market might actually boast the biggest collection of morons in a business literally overflowing with them. But I'm not sure anybody really cares about that crew anymore as they've grown increasing shrill and insular; manning their sinking ships and pretending they still matter. I know I really don't ... other than to point and laugh from time to time.

Marco Bombino, who is a Finland-based scout for the USHL Chicago Steel (Jaccob Slavin’s old team) and also contributes to Eliteprospects tweeted that Karpat started voluntary on-ice practices at the beginning of June and Sebastian Aho is one of a handful of NHLers participating.

New state of the art practice facilities matter to players quite a bit. Money obviously matters more when it comes down to deciding where to play and whether or not to stay for guys entering free agency, but the new practice digs at least will get the Canes back to level with other top teams in the league. You can bring a free agent to Raleigh and show him the WCC as a selling point, you didn't really want to show off the Canes practice facility before.

I know its wishful thinking and me just reading between the lines, but every time Dougie Hamilton provides comments about anything you can easily forget that he is 1 more season away from UFA status. His answers always makes it seem like he has a long term commitment here. Once we officially enter NEXT season, Hamilton's contract status and talks of what a Svech extension looks like will begin in earnest.

I know its wishful thinking and me just reading between the lines, but every time Dougie Hamilton provides comments about anything you can easily forget that he is 1 more season away from UFA status. His answers always makes it seem like he has a long term commitment here. Once we officially enter NEXT season, Hamilton's contract status and talks of what a Svech extension looks like will begin in earnest.

I don’t envy the braintrust having to make those decisions. Of the current roster, there are only 10 players under contract for 2021-22; Aho, Staal, Teravainen, Niederreiter, Trocheck, Necas, Slavin, Skjei, Gardiner and Pesce, for a $49.3 million cap hit. No goalies. Revenue will still be depressed for the 2020-21, so we may have a couple of years at the current $81.5 million cap unless the players are willing to escrow a higher percentage than they currently have. At least we’ll be free of Semin’s $2.3 million anchor that season.

For those that may have missed it over the weekend, Luke De Cock had a nice N&O article over the weekend with some help from the Canes analytics department breaking down Brindy's Hall of Fame credentials and I must admit, it's kind of disappointing when you see the side by side stats and accomplishments of players and wonder how Brind'Amour has not been elected yet. These four below things really stand out the most:

There are 36 players in NHL history who had 15 seasons with 49 or more points. Thirty-five of them are in the Hall of Fame. Brindy is the only one of those not in.

Thirty-seven players had more than 1,100 points and won a Stanley Cup. Thirty-five are enshrined in the Hall. Vincent Damphousse is one of the two. Brindy is the other.

Brind’Amour is the all-time leader in faceoff percentage since those stats have been kept. He’s the oldest player to win the Selke Trophy. Seventeen players have played more than his 1,484 games. All 17 are in the Hall of Fame.

Every eligible player with more than 700 points and a Selke Trophy is in the Hall of Fame, except one...Brindy!

I hope this is the year...Jarome Iginla seems like perhaps the only front runner, but this would seem like the year that Roddy does finally get his recognition.

For those that may have missed it over the weekend, Luke De Cock had a nice N&O article over the weekend with some help from the Canes analytics department breaking down Brindy's Hall of Fame credentials and I must admit, it's kind of disappointing when you see the side by side stats and accomplishments of players and wonder how Brind'Amour has not been elected yet. These four below things really stand out the most:

There are 36 players in NHL history who had 15 seasons with 49 or more points. Thirty-five of them are in the Hall of Fame. Brindy is the only one of those not in.

Thirty-seven players had more than 1,100 points and won a Stanley Cup. Thirty-five are enshrined in the Hall. Vincent Damphousse is one of the two. Brindy is the other.

Brind’Amour is the all-time leader in faceoff percentage since those stats have been kept. He’s the oldest player to win the Selke Trophy. Seventeen players have played more than his 1,484 games. All 17 are in the Hall of Fame.

Every eligible player with more than 700 points and a Selke Trophy is in the Hall of Fame, except one...Brindy!

I hope this is the year...Jarome Iginla seems like perhaps the only front runner, but this would seem like the year that Roddy does finally get his recognition.

I linked Luke’s article and one from Steve Dryden at the Miscellaneous thread. Dryden lists 8 players, guess who isn’t on the list? Carbonneau getting in last year should have paved the way for Brind’Amour.

Luke also raises Bernie Federko as a comparable. In a 2006 mailbag column, John Buccigross compared Ron Francis to FederKo, when an emailed complained about the slobbering coverage that ESPN gave to Messier’a Jersey retirement and nearly none to Francis.

John:

Please explain to me why the Rangers retire Messier's jersey in an overblown 90-minute mockery of a tribute and get two weeks of front-page coverage, a seemingly permanent link on ESPN.com and a round-the-clock repeat on XM radio. Meanwhile, the Hurricanes retire the number of an equally great player, Ron Francis, and get a sideline wire story without a photo. Puhleeze. Are the boys in Connecticut still mad that we stole their little team?

Shame on ESPN. What do you think?

John Burns
Raleigh, N.C.

Stanley Cups: Messier 6, Francis 2
MVPs: Messier 2, Francis 0
Conn Smythe Trophies: Messier 1, Francis 0
All-Star Games: Messier 14, Francis 4
100-point seasons: Messier 6, Francis 3
30-goal seasons: Messier 11, Francis 3
First-Team All-Star teams: Messier 4, Francis 0
Second-Team All-Star Teams: Messier 1, Francis 0
Slumber Parties with Madonna: Messier 1, Francis 0

Messier played 10 years in New York City. He fought, speared, slashed, guaranteed and delivered. He was good television. Like Curt Schilling, he helped break the curse. He won two MVPs. Ron Francis won three Lady Byngs and a Selke and played in Hartford, Pittsburgh and Raleigh. He played in four All-Star games. Francis was never a first- or second-team All-Star center. He was a very, very good player for a very long time. He is not Messier's equal -- as a player or as a popular culture figure -- thus, the difference in coverage. Ron Francis was Bernie Federko. They played in similar eras. Federko played in exactly 1,000 games in his career and had 1,130 points. Following the lockout year of 1994-95, Ron Francis had played in 1,008 games and had 1,138 points. Eight more games than Federko and eight more points.

Last edited:
Back