• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 English Premiere League Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
If you had Javi Gracia as the first manager to be sacked, collect your winnings. After guiding Watford to their best ever Premier League finish and the FA Cup Final, he was sacked yesterday, along with his entire staff. He was replaced by the man he replaced, Quique Sanchez Flores.

So ... Watford, in obvious discomfort over having spent most of last season playing watch-able football for the first time in forever, have over-reacted to a slow start in order to return to their comfort zone. Bland, safe, reactive, boring ... but probably good for the lower middle of the table. Congrats.

Villa with it's second positive (or non loss at least) result of the season with a 0-0 blah affair against West Ham. My entire feelings on Jack Grealish are summed up in his scoring attempt where he made a great run to get on the end of a ball in front of goal and then could not make any meaningful contact with the ball and had it roll harmlessly out of bounds. He has some real brilliance in how he plays and what he can do, but the final effort to put it all together and take it home always come up lacking which coincides with his 15 goals total for Villa in 125 appearances. He does a lot of good as well and he gets fouled a TON which is both a skill and the mark of a skilled player, but I keep hoping that he's going to put it all together and really step up a level.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Jackie just isn't a finisher. That's why his best play as a Villan was last season when Smith moved him back into central midfield in a 3 man setup. It gave him room to create with the dribble drives and to make quick 1/2s with the wing ... he lit up like a Christmas tree when he came back from injury last spring. Playing in the Prem, they've snuck him further and further forward to support that striker and it tends to show up his lack of finish.

One thing I've ended up liking about Dean Smith is that the guy is a pragmatist. He'll sort out the best shape over time. I just like they they've tightened up in the back after a leaky first few games.

They've been in every game I've watched and seem well organized for the most part, so there are some positives to take away from the slow start. I feel like Wesley's ability as a target man and his hold up play is inviting Jack to push up further into a second striker role to take advantage of Wesley's game, but he's just not that kind of a player. I do have some faith though in them adjusting and figuring it out hopefully. I really just want to spend the second half of the season in a boring mid table campaign rather than having to worry about relegation every week.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... Grealish is smart and so is his manager. They'll figure out what works best over time, I'm fairly certain of it. In that kid's career, he has generally been more effective after Christmas when he's had a chance to find the right seams in which to do his thing.

If that back four stays dependable and they can get through the end of the calendar year grind without too much attrition, I like them for a lower half of the mid table resting place.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Man City 8-0 Watford. And it could have been worse. They hit 2 posts and had a couple just slide by the post.

Everton are in a world of hurt, losing 2-0 at home to Sheffield.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Dammit Villa.

Ugh ... blew a 2-1 lead at home against Arsenal ... 10-man Arsenal. Pardon me while I go take it out on a few chores.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Dammit Villa.

Ugh ... blew a 2-1 lead at home against Arsenal ... 10-man Arsenal. Pardon me while I go take it out on a few chores.
It was behind NBCs paywall so I didn’t see it. Giving up a goal to Calum freaking Chambers is an indication that it’s not your day though.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
In retrospect, Villa's collapse was a bit flukey. But a better team controls out that game ... no doubt about that. The subs bench simply isn't up to Premiere League quality despite all the additions.