• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 English Premiere League Thread

Liverpool sign Jürgen Klopp to a 2 year extension through the end of the 2023-24 season.

Carlo Ancelotti, sacked by Napoli last week after guiding them to the UCL Round of 16, has been hired by Everton.

Carlo Ancelotti, sacked by Napoli last week after guiding them to the UCL Round of 16, has been hired by Everton.
Seems like a really weird fit, given their roster ... but whatever. It's aggressive. I guess.

Mikel Arteta will be introduced as Arsenal’s new manager on Friday. He won’t take charge of the team on Saturday at Everton, he won’t have conducted a training session before the match. He lost out to Unai Emery 18 months ago because he lacked managerial experience and didn’t have a back room staff readily available. He played in 149 matches for Arsenal from 2011-16 and was club captain his last 2 seasons, both of which were hampered by injury.

It only became official today, so the weekend kicks off at Goodison Park with both newly appointed managers watching from the Directors Box.

Mikel Arteta will be introduced as Arsenal’s new manager on Friday. He won’t take charge of the team on Saturday at Everton, he won’t have conducted a training session before the match. He lost out to Unai Emery 18 months ago because he lacked managerial experience and didn’t have a back room staff readily available. He played in 149 matches for Arsenal from 2011-16 and was club captain his last 2 seasons, both of which were hampered by injury.

I was in the Emirates the day Arteta retired. God, but they love that guy in the stands.

Big blow to Villa with McGinn out up to three months with a broken ankle plus the current run of bad form has put them back down in the relegation zone. I am no longer as confident that it won't be a relegation scrap again this season.

He actually played more matches for Everton than Arsenal.
Yeah, I know. And I suspect that he's got a Rod Brind'Amour-esque career in management in front of him. He was llways a serious thinker on the pitch and was deeply respected everywhere he played.

Big blow to Villa with McGinn out up to three months with a broken ankle plus the current run of bad form has put them back down in the relegation zone. I am no longer as confident that it won't be a relegation scrap again this season.
Villa fell into the classic EPL trap ... letting the toughest stretch of the schedule wear them down to the point where they forgot how to play. Now, they'll have to rebuild confidence on the fly in the world's toughest league.

Villa back on the good foot ... 1-0 over Norwich.

Other ... less important, of course ... Boxing Day results:
Spurs over Brighton 2-0
Southampton find a pulse over Chelsea 2-0
Palace beat West Ham 2-1
Everton beat Burnley 1-0
Man United beat Newcastle 4-1
Bournemouth drew Arsenal 1-1
Sheffield drew Watford 1-1

Liverpool currently leading Leicester 1-0

Liverpool hung 3 more on poor Leicester for a 4-0 final. Liverpool lead the Foxes by 13, Man City by 14, Chelsea by 20. And the Table is all bunched up, with only 14 points separating Chelsea in 4th and Villa in 18th.

West Ham have sacked Manuel Pellegrini. After a 10th place finish last year, he spent $230 million and sits 1 point above relegation.

West Ham have sacked Manuel Pellegrini. After a 10th place finish last year, he spent $230 million and sits 1 point above relegation.

And David Moyes replaces him, on an 18 month contract. Moyes guided the Hammers to safety on a 6 month contract from December 2017 to the end of the 2017-18 season. He wasn’t offered a new contract and was replaced by Pellegrini.

And David Moyes replaces him, on an 18 month contract. Moyes guided the Hammers to safety on a 6 month contract from December 2017 to the end of the 2017-18 season. He wasn’t offered a new contract and was replaced by Pellegrini.
Sure. Classic.

Villa have now lost Wesley and Tom Heaton for the season on top of John McGinn. They've added Danny Drinkwater on loan for the rest of the season for some portion of his outlandish wages (Chelsea initially demanded Villa pay his full wage bill, to which Villa replied "ha, no." Couldn't seem to find how much they will be paying but probably somewhere near half like Burnley were paying before). They're also linked with other pseudo washed up goalies and strikers as well to replace their other losses. The middle of the premier league is crazy with Villa being only one point above relegation, but only ten points behind fifth in the table. Liverpool, Leicester and City have separated themselves from the rest of the league, but everyone else is close with their being the same difference in points between first and fourth than fourth and last place which is absolutely wild.

Honestly, I think they'll be OK in goal but they BADLY need to figure something out with the No. 9. Kodija and Davis ain't gonna cut it.

Liverpool 2-0 Man U

It’s over, kids. Liverpool go 16 points up with 1 match in hand, against West Ham.

At this rate, Liverpool could clinch sometime in March ... which would be amazing. Boring, but amazing.

By the way, VDC ... Villa getting Pepe Reyna in goal actually worked for one week, at least. And it looks like they're signing another striker from Genk. It's scratch and claw time for our boys.

Back