• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Hurricanes Prospects and Checkers Thread

He’s back, sort of.

The Springfield Thunderbirds, AHL affiliate of the Panthers, have assigned Cliff Pu to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. The Panthers apparently don’t have an ECHL affiliate.

I remember seeing somewhere that Florida was going to share an ECHL affiliation with us this season.

Can't find a source for that now, but believe I saw it on Twitter from a fairly reputable source.

And NHL Records does list the Greenville Swamp Rabbits as Florida's ECHL affiliate.

I remember seeing somewhere that Florida was going to share an ECHL affiliation with us this season.

Can't find a source for that now, but believe I saw it on Twitter from a fairly reputable source.

And NHL Records does list the Greenville Swamp Rabbits as Florida's ECHL affiliate.
That's right. Carolina and Florida both have contracts to supply the Swamp Rabbits with players. IIRC Carolina's deal with them allows the Rabbits to market themselves as a Hurricanes affiliate, and you'll probably have noticed them really leaning into that on their social media accounts.

The Checkers posted video from their practice this morning and Stelio Mattheos is out of his yellow jersey. Good news.

Here’s and article from College Hockey News about the trials and tribulations of Jack LaFontaine.

Patrik Puistola has been loaned to KooVee in Mestis. He was playing limited minutes for Tappara. It looks like Eetu Makiniemi is at KooVee too.

Roland McKeown has been named captain of the Checkers. The alternates will rotate among Clark Bishop, Brian Gibbons and Fredrik Claesson.

His rather large fanbase in Charlotte will be happy that McKeown is their Captain. But they need to knock off the Prince Pretty crap. It's hockey, dang it.

Canes draft picks and prospects Through 10/6 *** Means their season has yet to start
=======================================

Ryan Suzuki C (1st round 2019 OHL Barrie): 4 Games 1 Goal 4 Assists +4

Jamieson Rees C (2nd round 2019 OHL Sarnia) 1 Game 0 Goals 0 Assists +1 * As already noted, he is suspended for 6 games

Patrik Puistola F (3rd round 2019 Liiga Tappara/Mestis KooVee):
With Tappara 10 Games 0 Goals 1 Assists +2
With KooVee 1 Game 0 Goals 0 Assists * As noted, loaned to KooVee. Mestis is step below Liiga

Anttoni Honka RHD (3rd round 2019 Liiga JYP): 10 Games 0 Goals 2 Assists Even

Domenick Fensore LHD (3rd round 2019 Hockey East Boston U. Fr.): ***

Cade Webber LHD (4th round 2019 BCHL Penticton): 10 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists Even

Tuukka Tieksola RW (4th round 2019 Liiga Karpat/Jr. A SM Liiga Karpat U20):
With Karpat: 3 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even
With Karpat U20: 7 Games 5 Goals 7 Assists +5

Kirill Slepets W (5th round 2019 VHL Voronezh): 11 Games 4 Goals 6 Assists +5

Kevin Wall RW (6th round 2019 Big 10 Penn St. Fr.): ***

Blake Murray C (7th round 2019 OHL Sudbury): 7 Games 4 Goals 5 Assists +3

Massimo Rizzo C (7th round 2019 BCHL Coquitlam): 2 Games 1 Goal 1 Assist Even

Jack Drury C (2nd round 2018 ECAC Harvard So.): ***

Luke Henman C (4th round 2018 QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand): 7 Games 1 Goal 5 Assists -4

Lenni Killinen RW (4th round 2018 Liiga Assat): 6 Games 0 Goals 3 Assists +1

Jesper Sellgren LHD (6th round 2018 SweHL Lulea): 3 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists +3

Dominik Bokk LW (Acquired via Trade SweHL Rögle BK Angelholm) 8 Games 0 Goals 1 Assist +2

Luke Martin RHD (2nd round 2017 Big 10 Michigan Sr.): ***

Ville Rasanen LHD (7th round 2017 Slovakia HC Banska Bystrica): Has not played yet

Matt Filipe LW (3rd round 2016 Hockey East Northeastern Sr.): ***

Max Zimmer LW (4th round 2016 Big 10 Wisconsin Sr.): ***

Luke Stevens LW (5th round 2015 ECAC Yale Sr.): ***

David Cotton C (6th round 2015 Hockey East Boston College Sr.): ***

Pyotr Kochetkov G (2nd round 2019 KHL SKA St. Petersburg/VHL Neva St. Petersburg)
With KHL St. Petersburg 3-3-0 2.62 GAA .887 Sv%
With VHL St. Petersburg 2 Games 1.95 GAA .940 Sv% *** Now playing in the "KHL Minors"

Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 Hockey East Providence Fr.): ***

Eetu Makiniemi G (4th round 2017 Jr. A SM-Liiga U20-Ilves/Mestis KooVee):
With Llves U20: 1 Game 3.00 GAA .897 Sv%
With KooVie: 3 Games 2.67 GAA .912 Sv%

Jack LaFontaine G (3rd round 2016 Big 10 Minnesota Jr.): ***

Checkers last week:

Oct 5 @Hartford L 5-3 Ned with the loss. Kuokkanen, Gauthier and Dave Gust (AHL contract) with the goals

Oct 6 @Springfield W 4-2 Forsberg with the Win. Anthony Louis (AHL Contract), Lorentz, Gauthier and Geekie with the goals

2 Home Games this Friday and Saturday both against Bridgeport

Love that Gauthier responded to being sent back down by scoring in his first two games. That's 100% what you want to see.

Gauthier Martinook and Gibbons? That line could do some damage
See the other thread, but Martinook is out for more than a month with an injury. I could see them bringing Gibbons on the roadie for an extra hand ... or not. They might opt for someone who's waiver exempt like maybe Kaukkanen. Geekie is centering Charlotte's first line so I suspect they'll leave him alone for awhile.

Shucks, that sucks about Marty. So Walmark is ok then (in) and who else. Are we full staff or missing a winger? Gibbons is... a healthy or in Charlotte?

Shucks, that sucks about Marty. So Walmark is ok then (in) and who else. Are we full staff or missing a winger? Gibbons is... a healthy or in Charlotte?

We were only carrying 12 forwards. Gibbons was sent down at the end of camp. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was recalled on Sunday, with the west coast trip next week.

Back