• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Hurricanes Prospects and Checkers Thread

Presumably Helvig will end up suspended, pending further info. He's got another year on his contract after this one, so it's a little more complicated than just cutting him loose, should that prove the most prudent course. Either way, you guys know where I land on guys who get in physical conflagrations with women ... don't want 'em, don't need 'em, won't support 'em, don't really care how good or not good they are.

I wonder what the significance of adding dating violence is? It was after a game, so it probably wasn’t a date in the classic use of the word. Is it only used to convey that he hit a woman, regardless of the circumstances of their meeting? And does it carry extra weight under the criminal code?

I also wonder if there are provisions in the contract that would allow the team to terminate it.

Florida apparently has a couple of different statutes for male/female violent contact. The "dating violence" statute is intended for individuals with an ongoing relationship, as opposed to some sort of one-off interaction. Those statutes are generally intended to expand protection given to spouses in marriage relationships to those who are in relationships but not married. No clue how that applies here in terms of specific circumstances, but there ya go.

NC looked at one of these statutes awhile back, but it got stuck in committee.

here we have assault on a female and I don't know if it matters who the person is that is assaulted. Also in some cases if there is a fight the woman can also be charged with simple assault if she started the fight.

In NC, the domestic violence statutes can be imposed on couples in non-marriage relationships but it often gets complicated for ongoing relationships without cohabitation. That's where the "dating violence" statutes are designed to fill in the gaps. Prosecuting this stuff under the standard assault statutes gets real weird, real quick ... with women always bearing the brunt of the shortcomings.

there are DAs and a courtroom that only deal with DV in Wake county. I assume that is also true in other big NC counties like Durham, Forsyth, Guilford, etc . In some cases there is a 26 week class ( once a week) that people can take to get charges dismissed.

Noticed the Chicago Wolves have every game on TV which is rare for a minor league team. and their color man is Bill Gardner who did the Whalers/Canes until 1998 when he left to do Blackhawks games.

Wisconsin lost to Ohio St. in the first round of the Big 10 tournament, so Max Zimmer’s college career is over. He finishes with 19 goals, 26 assists in 115 games. Before the trade deadline, I would have said the Canes wouldn’t sign him but Charlotte has so many guys on PTOs, and not a lot of other forward depth from more recent drafts, it’s possible.

Luke Henman is the only CHL player that needs to be signed. Svech was the only other CHL player drafted that year. There are 4 forwards coming out of college; Zimmer, Luke Stevens from Yale, Matt Filipe and David Cotton, who is the only center in the college group.

Well, the Checkers signed Zimmer to an ATO. They did not sign him to his entry level contract though.

Well, the Checkers signed Zimmer to an ATO. They did not sign him to his entry level contract though.
Honestly, based on his college career, that's fair. He's a guy you evaluate further, not a guy you throw money at for three years because you're short on forwards.

Checkers last week:

Mar 6 Utica L 2-1 Kinkade with the loss. Alexis D'Aoust (AHL contract) with the goal.

Mar 7 Utica L 3-2 (OT) Kinkade with the loss. Mark Cooper and Ryan Bourque with the goals

4 home games this week Tue/Wed vs. Cleveland, Sat/Sun vs Providence. Checkers are 4 points ahead of 5th place Springfield in their division with 2 games in hand.

Gustav Forsling was suspended for 2 games due to a 'cross checking incident' He will miss their first 2 game this week. As already noted Max Zimmer signed and ATO with the Checkers, he is not yet signed with the Canes.

Last edited:
Canes draft picks and prospects Through 3/8:

=======================================

Ryan Suzuki C (1st round 2019 OHL Barrie/Saginaw):
With Barrie: 21 Games 5 Goals 18 Assists -9
With Saginaw: 23 Games 13 Goals 22 Assists +16

Jamieson Rees C (2nd round 2019 OHL Sarnia) 39 Games 18 Goals 43 Assists +4

Patrik Puistola F (3rd round 2019 Liiga Tappara + Jukurit + KooKoo/Mestis KooVee):
With Tappara 24 Games 0 Goals 2 Assists +1
With Jukurit 7 Games 3 Goals 2 Assists +1
With KooKoo 12 Games 3 Goals 2 Assists +5 *** Now with KooKoo
With KooVee 4 Games 1 Goals 3 Assists Even

Anttoni Honka RHD (3rd round 2019 Liiga JYP): 41 Games 3 Goals 14 Assists +5

Domenick Fensore LHD (3rd round 2019 Hockey East Boston U. Fr.): 34 Games 3 Goals 13 Assists +5 *** #6 BU plays #3 UMASS Lowell in round 1 of the Hockey East tournament this coming weekend

Tuukka Tieksola RW (4th round 2019 Liiga Karpat/Jr. A SM Liiga Karpat U20/Mestis Hermes):
With Karpat: 5 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -1
With Karpat U20: 43 Games 27 Goals 34 Assists +20 *** Currently with Karpat U20
With Hermes 2 Games 1 Goal 0 Assists +1

Kevin Wall RW (6th round 2019 Big 10 Penn St. Fr.): 26 Games 2 Goals 5 Assists +1 *** #1 Penn State plays #4 Minnesota in the Big 10 semis this Saturday

Blake Murray C (7th round 2019 OHL Sudbury): 63 Games 35 Goals 37 Assists +9

Massimo Rizzo C (7th round 2019 BCHL Coquitlam): 42 Games 19 Goals 25 Assists (no +/- stats) *** Coquitlam swept Langley in 4 games. Next up is Surrey
Playoff stats:
4 Games 4 Goals 3 Assists

Jack Drury C (2nd round 2018 ECAC Harvard So.): 28 Games 20 Goals 19 Assists +9 *** #5 Harvard eliminated #12 St. Lawrence in the ECAC tourney first round. Next up is #4 RPI this weekend

Luke Henman C (4th round 2018 QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand): 63 Games 25 Goals 49 Assists +12

Lenni Killinen RW (4th round 2018 Liiga Assat): 41 Games 7 Goals 10 Assists -2

Jesper Sellgren LHD (6th round 2018 SweHL Lulea): 45 Games 8 Goals 13 Assists +18

Dominik Bokk LW (Acquired via Trade SweHL Rögle BK Angelholm) 43 Games 11 Goals 6 Assists +4

Luke Martin RHD (2nd round 2017 Big 10 Michigan Sr.): 36 Games 1 Goal 8 Assists +10 *** #3 Michigan eliminated #6 Michigan St. in the Big 10 quarters. They play Ohio St. on Sunday in the semis

Ville Rasanen LHD (7th round 2017 Mestis Jokipojat ): 39 Games 3 Goals 14 Assists +10

Matt Filipe LW (3rd round 2016 Hockey East Northeastern Sr.): 30 Games 9 Goals 13 Assists +4 *** #7 Northeastern plays #2 UMASS this weekend in round 1 of the Hockey East quarterfinals

Max Zimmer LW (4th round 2016 Big 10 Wisconsin Sr.): 21 Games 8 Goals 3 Assists -8 *** #7 Wisconsin was eliminated by #2 Ohio St. in the Big 10 quarterfinals. Wisconsin is not going to make the national tournament. Zimmer's college career is over. As already noted he has signed and ATO with the Checkers. Not clear if the Canes will sign him before the August 15th deadline or not or allow him to become a UFA.

Luke Stevens LW (5th round 2015 ECAC Yale Sr.): 31 Games 7 Goals 5 Assists -11 *** #7 Yale (7th seed) defeated #10 Union in the ECAC tourney first round. They play #3 Quinnipiac in the semis this weekend.

David Cotton C (6th round 2015 Hockey East Boston College Sr.): 32 Games 15 Goals 24 Assists +15 *** #1 BC plays #8 Providence this weekend in round 1 of the Hockey East quarterfinals.

Pyotr Kochetkov G (2nd round 2019 KHL SKA St. Petersburg/VHL Neva St. Petersburg/KHL Vityaz/MHL (Juniors) Chekhov)
With KHL St. Petersburg 3-3-0 2.62 GAA .887 Sv%
With VHL St. Petersburg 2 Games 1.95 GAA .940 Sv%
With KHL Vityaz - 1-5-0 3.09 GAA .917 SV% *** Vityaz was swept by SKA. Kochetkov didn't play in any of the 4 losses. I think his season is over, not sure if he will end up being re-assigned to the VHL or MHL or who knows where.
With MHL Chekhov 2 Games, 3.50 GAA .908 Sv%

Eetu Makiniemi G (4th round 2017 Jr. A SM-Liiga U20-Ilves/Liiga Ilves/Mestis KooVee):
With Ilves U20: 1 Game 3.00 GAA .897 Sv%
With Ilves: 2-0-4 1.53 GAA .930 Sv% *** Now with Ilves
With KooVee: 14-4-8 3.01 GAA .900 Sv%

Jack LaFontaine G (3rd round 2016 Big 10 Minnesota Jr.): 9-9-6 255 GAA .919 Sv% *** #4 Minnesota eliminated #5 Notre Dame in the Big 10 quarters. They play #1 Penn State in the semis this Saturday. LaFontaine started all 3 quarter final games.

DONE FOR SEASON (not counting any potential games for the Checkers):

Cade Webber LHD (4th round 2019 BCHL Penticton)
Kirill Slepets W (5th round 2019 VHL Voronezh/KHL Riga)
Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 Hockey East Providence Fr.)

On the Canes Prospects blog, Matt Somma says that LaFontaine would have to be signed by August 15 or the Canes lose his rights. He's listed as a junior on the Minnesota roster, but spent last year in the BCHL, which must have affected his signing status. So eithernhe gives up his senior yearane signs or he rolls the dice and becomes a UFA.

Hmm...I will check the CBA tomorrow to see if that explains Lafontaine's situation. But that does make some sense considering he would be a senior if he didn't leave college for a year. I think the clock basically starts their first year in school and goes 4 years to Aug 15, even if they drop out of college.

Hmm...I will check the CBA tomorrow to see if that explains Lafontaine's situation. But that does make some sense considering he would be a senior if he didn't leave college for a year. I think the clock basically starts their first year in school and goes 4 years to Aug 15, even if they drop out of college.

While you’re checking, will we have the same issue with Rizzo and Kucharski? They both stayed in junior for another year after the draft before they started college. Or is the rule 4 years after enrolling?

Well, I don't see anything in the CBA that specifically covers Jack LaFontaine's circumstance, where a player leaves college, plays somewhere else but retains eligibility, and then comes back. In fact, I would be more inclined to disagree with Matt Somma.

All of this info is being pulled from the nhlpa.com CBA linked here: https://nhlpa.com/the-pa/cba

The CBA defines 'graduating class' as:

For purposes of the above provisions, the term "graduation of his college
class" shall mean the class with which the Player is scheduled to graduate
during his final semester of attendance (as opposed to his matriculating
class (the class with which he is expected to graduate as of the date of his
original enrollment)). For purposes of clarity, a Player's graduating class
may change during his tenure in college.

As far as the NCAA in concerned, Jack Lafontaine is a junior. That means his graduating class would not graduate until next year. That being the case, we would hold his exclusive negotiating rights until August 15 of 2021. There is another clause that covers situations where kids are no longer bonafide college students, but that doesn't cover anything having to do with what happens if they become a college student again. If that clause is applicable, that would lead to the deadline being the 4th June 1st after the draft given LaFontaine's circumstances (aka the coming June 1st). I don't see anything in the CBA document that would lead me to an August 15th 2020 deadline for signing LaFontaine. I read the CBA as the date being August 15, 2021. But all I have is the CBA document, Matt Somma might have confirmed the reality with someone else. Certainly the original CBA has no clause that specifically covers a kid being a college student, leaving college, and then going back to college.

I will note finally though that the CBA says this at the end of the exclusive rights college section:

As a general matter, the above provisions were not intended to cut off, and
shall not have the effect of cutting off, a Club's exclusive negotiating
rights during the period that a Player remains in college.

Given LaFontaine's situation, I take that clause to mean that LaFontaine and the Canes should not be in a situation where LaFontaine has to choose between signing with the Canes or staying at Minnesota for his senior year with the Canes losing his negotiating rights. That is how I read the CBA, I could of course be completely incorrect or the CBA could have been modified or clarified.

Rizzo and Kucharski and Cade Webber I believe are a bit easier. They should fall under the basic college student clause:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time
of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student
prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft
, and
remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college
class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for
his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation
of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such
Player to retain such rights.

Kucharski actually left the USHL early last season and enrolled in Providence for the Spring semester. Rizzo is heading to the University of North Dakota after this season. Cade Webber is going to Boston University under the same circumstances. Now I suppose one could ask 'when do these players actually become bona fide college students and does that really happen before June 1st'? Of course the CBA never defines at what point a player becomes a bona fide college student. But Rizzo and Webber were committed to their college teams for next season before the BCHL season even began. Kucharski was attending classes at Providence last spring. So to me they all fall under that basic 8.6.c.i clause as long as they remain college students.

Last edited:
One question would have about those Capfriendly dates. Why is Rizzo's date Aug 15, 2023 and Cade Webber's date is Aug 15, 2024? Both drafted in 2019, both played in BCHL, both heading to their first year of college 'next season'.

One question would have about those Capfriendly dates. Why is Rizzo's date Aug 15, 2023 and Cade Webber's date is Aug 15, 2024? Both drafted in 2019, both played in BCHL, both heading to their first year of college 'next season'.

Unless Webber is staying in the BCHL another year because he missed most of the season?

I'm not sure how that would work as that would involve Webber not becoming a bonafide college student prior to the June 1st after his draft year. If he goes back to juniors he would have to be offered a contract by June 1 2021 or he would go back into the draft.

Back