• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Misc. Grab Bag Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Don't get me wrong ... the money and his health combine to make it likely that the Panthers cut Newton this summer, but I have no inkling that it would make sense for them to pursue one of these veteran QBs, aside from maybe Bridgewater. I doubt they're even going to try. I figure they try to draft a QB that would fit the new system ... whatever it might look like ... and take their lumps early while they rebuild a team under this new staff. That's why they gave the new coach so much money and term ... it's gonna take a minute or two for them to be competitive again. No reason to dream about an old timer with one more good run in his legs when you need a lot more than that.

For me at least, Bridgewater makes more sense because he could probably give you a couple of years of workmanlike service while you figure out the long term play. Looks like a couple of other teams are thinking along those lines ... primarily the Bears.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Carolina Panthers said goodbye to Greg Olsen today. No Luke, no Olsen...is Cam next?

HNIM

0-16 is looking imaginable. Could be an opportunity for those so inclined to pick up a PSL for cheap.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
The Carolina Panthers said goodbye to Greg Olsen today. No Luke, no Olsen...is Cam next?
Honestly, Olsen hasn't given them much on the field the last three seasons anyway. They'll miss him more In the locker room. His loss isn't a sign of the end times to the degree that Kuechley's was, but it does sort of set the stage for a clean break and a re-set if they do what I expect and walk away from Newton as well.

Paulie Walnuts

played roller hockey and a goalie in the league wore football helmet and baseball glove. as you might imagine he was not good and I guess also very cheap.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm shifting the soccer talk to this thread, FWIW.

Here's a tidbit I found interesting. Nashville is struggling to get their stadium construction off the ground ... to the point where MLS has formally reminded them that their expansion franchise award can be pulled if they haven't actually begun construction by March 31st. There's a lawsuit pending from a local group seeking to preserve the Fairgrounds property where the new soccer-specific stadium is to be built. Nashville's bid for an MLS franchise was predicated on using the Titans' stadium as a temporary home while the new facility is built and apparently MLS inserted a CYA clause in case the construction proved to be a problem ... seeing as how that rug has been pulled out on them several times before in other markets.

Remember how I was talking about the "secondary" expansion market and the importance of being patient? Yeah. This might not work out for Raleigh, but pretty much every MLS expansion franchise is a candidate for relocation or re-award until they're fully functional for about 5 years. Caveat ... I'm not saying MLS is going to yank the Nashville franchise this year. They've sold a ton of tickets and have a home opener coming up on Wednesday. They will however keep tabs on the situation and if the club still can't get the stadium project going fairly soon, the league has a fairly big stick with that cancellation clause.

Last edited:

Paulie Walnuts

local college baseball teams start this week if you want to see live baseball. All 3 teams have 3 home day games starting Friday. They play during the day until it gets warmer at night. Bulls and Mudcats start first week of April.

NoMich

Ugh, that means no metal on Friday nights on WKNC until *after* the State baseball game is done.

Paulie Walnuts

they don't play night games for a while. First NCSU night home game is March 10th. After that most games are at night except Sundays so the visiting team can leave town early.

Paulie Walnuts

Rage against the machine playing PNC August 2nd. Also Backstreet Boys on Sept 21st. :)

PNC redid their website , first change in a long time.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Rage, with Run the Jewels opening? Yeah ... why do I feel like that's an audience with a very specific demographic?

Worth noting that while I almost never go to shows at the PNC, it's nice to see Dundon continuing to max out his revenue stream by keeping the building booked.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
If/when David Beckham ever gets his soccer club off the ground, it probably won’t be named Inter Miami. MLS lost a round at the US Patent and Trademark Office to Inter Milan. Inter trademarked that name in the US in September 2018, the MLS filing cane about 3 weeks later.