• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Paulie Walnuts

talk this might last 18 months. Which means the 20-21 season would be cancelled unless they play with no fans. Same for NBA. Baseball would lose 2020 and 2021 seasons. NFL would lose 2020 season.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The English Premier League has extended its postponement until April 30. The Football Association board agreed to extend the season indefinitely beyond June 1.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Germany may have just been able to test relatively more people and so their proportion of deaths to positive tests is lower. The difference in mortality rate may not have anything to do with how fatal the virus is in the two countries.
This.

I think the data analysts really need to slow their roll until words like "reported" and "confirmed" mean the same thing across every data set. Right now, they just don't ... and that means the data itself is unreliable, which means analyzing it is fairly well useless. Countries that are engaging in heavy, widespread testing are the only ones who have reliable core data. Everybody else is working on presumptions, which are poison for serious reflection.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Grant Wahl says MLS is set to announce May 10 as the day it hopes to re-start the season.

Paulie Walnuts

The English Premier League has extended its postponement until April 30. The Football Association board agreed to extend the season indefinitely beyond June 1.
Also they said next season won't start until they finish this season. So it seems they still intend to play more games this season, maybe without fans.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
FWIW, my family's hotel management group has decided to shut down our properties (with two exceptions) starting 3/20. It's an indefinite closure, with a presumed re-open date of May 1 ... to be adjusted every two weeks. That's in line with most others in that business, so expect major hotel chain locations to be closing fairly soon. Independents and small chains will be your only option starting fairly soon. Just a heads up if you have unavoidable travel in your near term future.

cmaleski2

FWIW, my family's hotel management group has decided to shut down our properties (with two exceptions) starting 3/20. It's an indefinite closure, with a presumed re-open date of May 1 ... to be adjusted every two weeks. That's in line with most others in that business, so expect major hotel chain locations to be closing fairly soon. Independents and small chains will be your only option starting fairly soon. Just a heads up if you have unavoidable travel in your near term future.
Makes sense. I've seen some major chains talking about being only 10% booked. Doesn't make sense to try to stay open for that few people (other than trying to help your employees)

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I got an email from the Inn at Pine Knoll Shores about 2-1/2 hours ago telling me that all guest rooms are open and the restaurant is open for takeout.

HeyKurtz

I got an email from the Inn at Pine Knoll Shores about 2-1/2 hours ago telling me that all guest rooms are open and the restaurant is open for takeout.
A friend of mine needed to get away and is spending a few days at the Blockade Runner as I type this.

Paulie Walnuts

I can see taking a getaway but I don't think I would stay in a hotel now. I would do a day trip or maybe camp out for a night.

Ironically I am reading about another crisis, the German bombing of England in 1940. The Brits were thinking Germany was sure to invade but of course they did not. I assume had Germany invaded UK the USA would have jumped right into the war instead of waiting until Pearl Harbor.

perfectstormhits

Since there could be a shortage of hospital beds down the road, I wonder if some hotels in a similar situation could be used to add to the available room/beds?

Logistically it would probably be a nightmare however.

HeyKurtz

How about we slow down the speculations and take things week to week, month to month?
Thank you...and please, let’s provide links so that we can each our own conclusions about the sources of news of this magnitude. If your post starts with “Talk that...” or “I’ve heard...” and doesn’t include a link, I’m skipping right past it.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Since there could be a shortage of hospital beds down the road, I wonder if some hotels in a similar situation could be used to add to the available room/beds?

Logistically it would probably be a nightmare however.
That's a thing that could happen down the road. It's not being planned locally right now, as step one would be bringing in the National Guard to set up field hospitals.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
How about we slow down the speculations and take things week to week, month to month?
This ... please.

While it's actually reassuring to me that public contingency planners are running scenarios out to 18 months, those are CONTINGENCY plans. As basic citizens, we're safer seeing what unfolds week to week.

NoMich

Yep. Trying to guess what is going to happen months from now is a one way ticket to Nosleepsville. Ask me how I know

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
English soccer will not start the 2020-21 season until the current season is complete. Each team in the top 4 divisions has 9-10 matches left to play. If they abandon the FA Cup and play twice a week, say Tuesday/Saturday and Wednesday/Sunday, they could knock it out in 5 weeks, then the promotion playoffs. And they’d probably need to find alternate locations for the playoff finals because they’re all played at Wembley.