• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Paulie Walnuts

if they don't have fans they can play games on practice fields. I assume every team has at least 1 practice field.

If Tom Brady lost his next 280 games , his career winning percentage would be above Tampa's all time winning percentage. :)

Last edited:

HNIM

Me geeking some more. Mods, if we had a "spoiler" function, I could use that to keep from annoying the uninterested. Or I could just shut up, but when does anyone do that on internet forums?

Germany may have just been able to test relatively more people and so their proportion of deaths to positive tests is lower. The difference in mortality rate may not have anything to do with how fatal the virus is in the two countries.
This.

I think the data analysts really need to slow their roll until words like "reported" and "confirmed" mean the same thing across every data set. Right now, they just don't ... and that means the data itself is unreliable, which means analyzing it is fairly well useless. Countries that are engaging in heavy, widespread testing are the only ones who have reliable core data. Everybody else is working on presumptions, which are poison for serious reflection.
I thought of that after I posted it. I mused over it for a while, and here are a thought and an observation.

1. Just because you test more doesn't mean you're going to increase the number of positives in a way that would have an impact on this particular observation. It certainly makes sense that you might, and from a public health standpoint you're happy to get a huge increase in negatives just to keep positives from falling through the cracks. And from a statistical and modeling standpoint, you want increased testing to supply a large number of negatives, to have confidence in whether the policies and methods for containment and mitigation are effective.

2. I can readily buy that the Italians have been undercounting cases, especially considering how big the initial explosion in cases there was. Probably the outbreak started a week or two earlier than WHO reports indicate, and testing has never caught up. But Germany's cases per million population have been comparable to France's and Spain's, whose outbreaks started just a day later than Germany's, and the death rates in the latter are closer to the norm of about 2-4% [my look at WHO data from situation reports]. So I don't think testing will eventually explain the German data.

Co-morbidities given as cause of death? I'm just looking for questions to ask. Cool my jets? That's like putting a doobie on the table in front of Willie and telling him he should wait until it's legal.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
BTW ... I should have inserted the words "amateur internet" in front of data analysts. Not accusing you of anything, HNIM, bu tI've seen a metric butt-ton on wild eyed speculative "analysis" of death and infection rates based on data that really don't support the person's position at all due to misunderstandings of what the data actually say and what some of the terms actually mean.

Getting a bunch of relatively current information without waiting for your government to "craft" public statements is a good thing about the internet age. Having to filter through a mountain of poorly (or emotionally) interpreted information is a decidedly bad thing about the internet age.

Paulie Walnuts

Hill Rom is in the small town of Batesville Indiana. Also there is Batesville casket company. Some people may be born in a Hill Rom bed, die in one and then get buried in a casket from the same small town. BTW Hill Rom used to own the casket company . :)

StormChaserBH

Me geeking some more. Mods, if we had a "spoiler" function, I could use that to keep from annoying the uninterested. Or I could just shut up, but when does anyone do that on internet forums?
FWIW, there is a spoiler function/button.... Insert > Spoiler from the 3-dot menu icon in the posting frame. They use it a lot in the American Politics thread on the Leafs sub-board.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
today on CBS, 12 noon 1982 BB title game. at 2 PM 1983 BB title game. I predict both are close games
And then at 4 is Duke v. Kentucky, the 1992 regional final. Tomorrow at 4 is Villanova v. UNC from 2016. I hurt myself jumping out of my recliner that night but I should be OK tomorrow.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
FWIW, there is a spoiler function/button.... Insert > Spoiler from the 3-dot menu icon in the posting frame. They use it a lot in the American Politics thread on the Leafs sub-board.
Look ... do this if you want, but be aware that it's hella annoying and if you use it as frequently as Zeke does on the Leafs boards, we WILL have words.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
As an expat Canadian I have to say...

They piss me off sometimes

Thanks for letting me vent

Cheers

hockeylover

I'm not really sure why people can't talk numbers here but if they want to, the Leafs board is open to whatever if it's on topic. I'm a bit of a nerd too and I like to look at numbers. Not like there's much else to do on my days off.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I'm not really sure why people can't talk numbers here but if they want to, the Leafs board is open to whatever if it's on topic. I'm a bit of a nerd too and I like to look at numbers. Not like there's much else to do on my days off.
I'm not sure why you would think you can't "talk numbers" on this thread. The only thing people have objected to is unattributed speculation. There has been some discussion on whether or not the numbers being tossed around mean what people say they do ... but that is, in fact, a discussion about the numbers ... so ... carry on.

Oh ... and I guess I objected to a steady stream of blue pill icons that you have to click through to figure out what they say. That works for in game discussions and maybe movie/TV spoilers, but otherwise it's just annoying.

Last edited:

Paulie Walnuts

and the 83 game is not on due to the virus update they can show it at a later date

game is on now, 10-8 Houston funny how short the shorts are but that was the style

Last edited: