• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Misc. Grab Bag Thread

HockeyPat

I personally know one Steve Logan supporter who turned on him because Logan told him, and I quote "You don't know what the hell you're talking about" Unquote.

I think he actually told the story on air one time.

Edit: Coach Logan was correct.

Paulie Walnuts

Logan was very good on the radio , I hope he goes back to at least doing Saturdays. I read somewhere online, I think it was SI. They said he was one of the best guys on radio in the country and I agree.

One of his best stories was that certain times of the year you can only recruit on the phone, not in person. So coaches would go to the kids house and talk to them on the phone while the kid was 10 feet away. Maybe the NCAA closed that loophole.

NoMich

For extremely valid reasons, I looked through the 2000 NHL draft for the Hurricanes picks. Oof! That was not a good draft. If it weren't for getting The Secret Weapon™ in round four, this one would have been the worst in franchise history. Right? I can't imagine another year being worse than that one.

Punzil

For extremely valid reasons, I looked through the 2000 NHL draft for the Hurricanes picks. Oof! That was not a good draft. If it weren't for getting The Secret Weapon™ in round four, this one would have been the worst in franchise history. Right? I can't imagine another year being worse than that one.
It may look worse than it really was. Wallin was certainly the prize, but Killer Kowalski was our emergency goaltender during the Cup Run, Bayda was awful but replaced Battaglia on the BBC line for a while, and the first rounder that we traded for Ozolinsh ended up being a bust for the Avs. Maybe JR would have reached and selected Justin Williams with that pick... probably not.

1988 is probably the franchise benchmark for worst draft ever. 11 rounds with picks... only Chris Govedaris ever even suited up for the Whalers for a legendary 33 games over three seasons. To be fair, he was picked after Marty Gelinas, Jeremy Roenick, Rod Brind'Amour, and Teemu Selanne, and the first round crashed hard after that for almost everyone.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
It may look worse than it really was. Wallin was certainly the prize, but Killer Kowalski was our emergency goaltender during the Cup Run, Bayda was awful but replaced Battaglia on the BBC line for a while, and the first rounder that we traded for Ozolinsh ended up being a bust for the Avs. Maybe JR would have reached and selected Justin Williams with that pick... probably not.
Rutherford straight up said, when he traded for Williams later, that he would have taken him in the 1st round if he hadn't trade the pick ... so ... yeah. Jimmy was never immune to reaching a bit, even in the early rounds.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Circling back to the Sports Illustrated chatter of a few days ago ... presuming I still understand how time works these days ... SI unceremoniously fired lead soccer writer Grant Wahl today. No severance, no layoff, no warning, no nothing ... just a you're fired email.

And there goes the last of my threads of interest in your increasingly BS publication. Enjoy whatever sad afterlife you can cobble together SI. Without top notch reporting, you're just a glorified blog.

Punzil

Rutherford straight up said, when he traded for Williams later, that he would have taken him in the 1st round if he hadn't trade the pick ... so ... yeah. Jimmy was never immune to reaching a bit, even in the early rounds.
Well great... now you have me imagining the 2001 playoffs with Justin Williams instead of Ozo.

Paulie Walnuts

N&O just laid off their publisher, she was also running other McClatchy newspapers on the east coast. She said she may retire.

Firing someone with no notice is not unusual but they should at least give 2-4 weeks severance. 60 day notice is just for big layoffs , I think more than 50 people at least here in NC. Other states might have similar laws.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Circling back to the Sports Illustrated chatter of a few days ago ... presuming I still understand how time works these days ... SI unceremoniously fired lead soccer writer Grant Wahl today. No severance, no layoff, no warning, no nothing ... just a you're fired email.

And there goes the last of my threads of interest in your increasingly BS publication. Enjoy whatever sad afterlife you can cobble together SI. Without top notch reporting, you're just a glorified blog.
He pretty well trashed them earlier in the week on Twitter. All I saw was the reaction to it, he deleted the tweet. But it was only a matter of time before he got whacked. If anyone has been watching CNN during the pandemic, he’s married to Dr. Celine Grounder.

They outsourced at lot of their hockey reporting to The Hockey News earlier. Robert Klemko, who had taken over the MMQB subsite when Peter King left for NBC is with the Washington Post now. They have a lot of “who are they” on the staff now. It’s sad. The magazine of Dr. Z, Dan Jenkins, William Nack, Walter Iooss, Jr. etc. is garbage now.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Yeah ... SI is dead. The new publisher, Maven is run by the same jerk who used to run Rivals and will eventually rip away anything that intelligent sports fans used to love about SI to turn it into a clickbait farm. It's taken them less than a year to divest themselves of anybody who gets paid above cub reporter level ... so congrats on that. This is the modern era in publishing ... God help us all.

As self respecting sports fans we should demand more and better than what we get from these internet-centric sources. Barstool, Rivals, Yahoo Sports, now the new version of SI ... IMO, we should be actively avoiding their content, as they are playing a huge role in legitimizing the kind of trollish sports fans that can, and probably will ruin sports for everyone. Support your local and regional media. Support thinking sources like The Athletic. Expect more ... but remember to pay for it. This weird modern expectation that you can get quality stuff for free is choking our media to death.

Paulie Walnuts

Bleacher report used to be run by Time Warner maybe it still is. It's pretty lame, they don't have any stats, standings, etc. Just articles.

An article somewhere said Wahl made $350k per year but he denied that .

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Bleacher report used to be run by Time Warner maybe it still is. It's pretty lame, they don't have any stats, standings, etc. Just articles.

An article somewhere said Wahl made $350k per year but he denied that .
That came from a completely brain dead release directly from Maven. Wahl said it included bonuses and hs base salaries, which Macen inferred, was much lower.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Even if it includes bonuses to me that's a lot of cash for a sportswriter especially now when print is almost dead.
The last 12-15 calendar months were huge for soccer. Liverpool won the Champion's League for the first time in 14 years. And then they started the Premier League season with a 27 match unbeaten run and were headed towards their first ever Premier League title. The US won the Women's World Cup again. Even this year, he was also posting about every other day to the website and was all over Twitter. As Jeff said, he was basically all that was left over there to drive traffic.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Even if it includes bonuses to me that's a lot of cash for a sportswriter especially now when print is almost dead.
So what? Wahl didn't hold a gun to anyone's head. He got paid is base contract and bonuses because the company felt that he earned them. He was also one of their more prolific writers and also generated electronic content ... with a popular podcast and a lot of blog and Twitter content under their banner, so management is clearly lying in that memo in order to justify actions that make them look bad. They're baiting you into saying "wow, that's a lot of money" and you're falling for it.

Paulie Walnuts

$350k is not a lot of money? It's more than 95% of US people.make. I guess his contract did not have anything about severance pay which he should have asked for. But maybe he asked and they said no.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
$350k is not a lot of money? It's more than 95% of US people.make. I guess his contract did not have anything about severance pay which he should have asked for. But maybe he asked and they said no.
Maven’s stance is probably that he was terminated for cause, because he trashed them on Twitter. You don’t get severance if you’re terminated for cause, unless there was an employment contract that mandated it.

And yes, $350k is a lot of money. Money that Maven and SI willingly paid him for his perceived value to what was left of the magazine and to the website and multiple podcasts. As we’ve noted, he was incredibly prolific. Maven is trying to make him look like the bad guy for a salary and bonus that they had no problem paying until the pandemic hit.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Anyone who was worried about Christian McCaffrey on a rebuilding Panthers team can stand down. He signed a 4 year/$64 million extension, making him the highest paid RB in the NFL.

Paulie Walnuts

I was terminated for cause and got severance so I guess it depends on the employer. I think in that case most people get 2 weeks unless they do something weird like beat someone up. I think smaller places probably are less likely to give severance no matter what. And some places if you quit they tell you to leave that day and give you 2 weeks pay. the people who are still there have to take over your stuff without any help from you.

NoMich

Anyone who was worried about Christian McCaffrey on a rebuilding Panthers team can stand down. He signed a 4 year/$64 million extension, making him the highest paid RB in the NFL.
100% deserved. He ain't no run of the mill running back. That dude does it all.