• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Paulie Walnuts

all that matters with a coach is he wins. As I mentioned before perfect example is Bobby Knight, grade A a**hole. Coach K is not a choir boy either.

Coach to fans : Will you still love me if I don't win? Fans: sure we will but we will also miss you.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The KC - Houston game was nuts. Houston scores 24 quick points and then KC responds with 41 straight points, Houston closes to within 10 and KC tacks on another 10 to win 51-31. KC is the first team to be down by at least 20 and win by 20.

HNIM

The KC - Houston game was nuts. Houston scores 24 quick points and then KC responds with 41 straight points, Houston closes to within 10 and KC tacks on another 10 to win 51-31. KC is the first team to be down by at least 20 and win by 20.
THAT was entertainment.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Major League Baseball lowered the boom on Houston for using technology to cheat during the 2017 season. GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for 1 year. The team was fined $5 million and lost its first and second round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts. Former assistant GM Brandon Taubman was placed on the ineligible list. He had been fired in October for making inappropriate comments he made around a group of female reporters after the ALCS.

The league will announce punishment for bench coach Alex Cora, said to be the mastermind, after the league’s investigation of similar allegations of the Red Sox is completed.

Last edited:

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Astros should have had their WS title vacated. Red Sox are accused of similar cheating in 2018 season.
I’m not a fan of vacating games/Championships. What purpose does it serve?

If the Sox are found guilty, Cora could see himself with a 2 year suspension or placed on the ineligible list.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Major League Baseball lowered the boom on Houston for using technology to cheat during the 2017 season. GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for 1 year. The team was fined $5 million and lost its first and second round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.
Apparently one of the first things Cora did when he got to Boston was set up a carbon copy of the Houston scheme. Frankly, I hope they pop the crap out of these guys, but I agree with you about vacating wins. That does nothing.

CanadaCanes

Major League Baseball lowered the boom on Houston for using technology to cheat during the 2017 season. GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for 1 year. The team was fined $5 million and lost its first and second round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts. Former assistant GM Brandon Taubman was placed on the ineligible list. He had been fired in October for making inappropriate comments he made around a group of female reporters after the ALCS.

The league will announce punishment for bench coach Alex Cora, said to be the mastermind, after the league’s investigation of similar allegations of the Red Sox is completed.
Alex Cora looks like he will get the 2020 season off as well, maybe more. You have to love MLB lowering the boom on this kinda stuff, this is Pete Rose level stuff, and I agree with Paulie that the cheating certainly helped the Astros ability to win the World Series and that should be taken away as well, but Manfred probably did not want to take it that far and have to clean up that mess.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Trey could have punished Houston monetarily instead of taking away they World Series. Set the fine at $5 million baseline and then fine them the amount of gate receipts for the entire post season and the winners share of the ALCS and World Series.

The 2017 World Series entry on Wikipedia has been updated. The World Series MVP is listed as the Astros center field cameraman.

Paulie Walnuts

Vacating a title, in theory, should make people stop cheating in the future. I guess we can see how Louisville BB behaves after their title was stripped a few years back.

What about Olympics taking away medals for steroids? Everybody OK with that?

$5 mil is the maximum fine in MLB

If they don't take away the title, they should ban them from the playoffs for a year or 2.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Olympics is different ... but I don't think it does near as much good as bans. Nobody got the Russians' attention until they started chucking them out of international competitions and barring them from hosting in future ... presuming that worked. Jury's out, but it certainly got their attention.

Paulie Walnuts

In college many times the players and coach who caused the postseason ban were not involved in the rule violations. Not sure how to avoid that since players stay 4 years max and many times the coach gets fired. the coach can be banned by the NCAA for the violations.