• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Megadeth and Lamb of God downtown 6/14. A mere $100 for front of stage.

Pretty sure my 1977 Zeppelin ticket was under $15.

I have been trying to explain to my kids that $100 for any concert ticket is outrageous compared to what tickets used to go for. Then again before the streaming world many groups could make some money off of recorded music sales or record contracts. Now most of the money they make are from tours. $100 for PNC nose bleeds for Paul McCartney last May. $150 for decent seats at Walnut Creek to see Maroon 5 this Sept. $279 for BTS floor seats (anyone else have KPop fans in your family?) $90 for Queen + Adam Lambert upper level seats? (that is all before TicketScalper tacks on their ridiculous fees).

Its crazy how expensive concert tickets are today. Crazier if you have to buy more than one ticket for a show. I remember paying like $30 for decent tickets to see my favorite bands in the 80s and 90s. Now if you want front row tickets to a show for a significant artist its over $500, $750, $1000 for VIP packages attached to those prime seats.

Last edited:
Megadeth and Lamb of God downtown 6/14. A mere $100 for front of stage.

Pretty sure my 1977 Zeppelin ticket was under $15.

My 1976 Elton John ticket was $20 from a reseller. My 1977 Billy Joel ticket was $17.50 and included round trip charter bus from the broker’s lot in Wayne, NJ to Nassau Coliseum. In PNC terms those seats were bottom 2/3 of the way down in section 118

BTS show #3 for my daughter in Atlanta this year. She is 15 so she can't finance the whole deal her self yet. I went to the first show and endured 2.5 hours of the girl next to me screaming in my ear. I swear I still have hearing damage from it. My wife has covered since then (she enjoys it far more than I did).

Its a phenomenon for sure. Hard to explain if you don't know anything about it. Boy band madness at a whole different level (and price point) and mostly in a different language.

anybody heard of this thing called inflation adjustment for things bought a while back? I'm making about 6x more than I did back then so I don't expect things to be the same price now as back then.

On the other hand I remember paying $4 a gallon for gas and now it's $2.

Part of the reason for higher concert ticket prices is many people now don't pay for recorded music. They get it from some illegal site or they can listen for free on Youtube or other legal sites.

anybody heard of this thing called inflation adjustment for things bought a while back? I'm making about 6x more than I did back then so I don't expect things to be the same price now as back then.

On the other hand I remember paying $4 a gallon for gas and now it's $2.

Part of the reason for higher concert ticket prices is many people now don't pay for recorded music. They get it from some illegal site or they can listen for free on Youtube or other legal sites.

My $20 Elton John ticket in 1976 would be $89.86 now. But that was bought from a broker, not face value.

Lest we forget how much a good lower bowl seat for our canes cost. Paid a fair amount for the recent Elton John concert and it was worth every penny.

I paid $75 for a GA ticket for Live Aid from a scalper, advertised in the classifieds in Newsday. Damn near bankrupted me! Not exactly sure how I got the actual tickets. Probably mailed the guy a check and got the tickets back by mail two weeks later. Crazy!

Given what hedge fund ownership has meant for several other media outlets, that's the bad news. The other bit was only a matter of time, sadly.
ditto on hedge funds. once they get in, it's squeeze the juice outta the lemon and move on. Media, Pharma (my neck of the woods) and many other businesses are good examples of their modus operandi. Truth be told though, serve a purpose sometimes as they hasten the demise of businesses that should be packing up anyway.

I'm shifting the soccer talk to this thread, FWIW.

Here's a tidbit I found interesting. Nashville is struggling to get their stadium construction off the ground ... to the point where MLS has formally reminded them that their expansion franchise award can be pulled if they haven't actually begun construction by March 31st. There's a lawsuit pending from a local group seeking to preserve the Fairgrounds property where the new soccer-specific stadium is to be built. Nashville's bid for an MLS franchise was predicated on using the Titans' stadium as a temporary home while the new facility is built and apparently MLS inserted a CYA clause in case the construction proved to be a problem ... seeing as how that rug has been pulled out on them several times before in other markets.

Remember how I was talking about the "secondary" expansion market and the importance of being patient? Yeah. This might not work out for Raleigh, but pretty much every MLS expansion franchise is a candidate for relocation or re-award until they're fully functional for about 5 years. Caveat ... I'm not saying MLS is going to yank the Nashville franchise this year. They've sold a ton of tickets and have a home opener coming up on Wednesday. They will however keep tabs on the situation and if the club still can't get the stadium project going fairly soon, the league has a fairly big stick with that cancellation clause.

Nashville SC and the city have resolved their differences and demolition at the Fairgrounds will start immediately.

Good for them ... the funding model had to shift to 100% privately generated funds (supported with public loans, but whatever) to get the deal done. Still, if the Mayor was holding construction hostage for this deal, he could have actually told somebody that up front instead of playing brinksmanship games.

Backtracking to the conversation on the cost of concert tickets ... I just scored tickets to see Jason Isbell at the DPAC in June. Over $100 each after fees and taxes. Is it too much? Yes. Do I care? I would, except I've had to miss Isbell two or three times in the recent past and I'll be danged if I'm missing him again. So ... yeah.

Back