• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

yes the area near the trail does not look as good as it used to. I guess that was inevitable considering the rapid growth of the triangle. One time on the trail someone asked me "Is Durham 80 miles from here?" Must have been a recent transplant.

NPR has released streaming audio from over 100 shows at DC's famed 9:30 Club on their music website. https://www.npr.org/sections/allson...j3wI1Pcb9_db7AJqSSybyxbkTonCtVNQMeIUzXz11BXqo

A couple of shows I was there to see in person ... an absolutely epic 20th Anniversary Show by Ireland's The Frames (Glen Hansard's band) from 2007, an emotional show from Wilco in 2008 and a sparkling set from Wye Oak in 2012. All personal highlights, all streaming for free. And there's a lot more there ... covering a ton of genres. All recorded direct from the soundboard in very high quality. Enjoy.

Word on the street has it that they were Banned in DC
HA! Best BB show I saw was at cats cradle. Bus allegedly had a flat and they were several hours late. Cranked up about 2 AM for a 45 minute show with none of the standard reggae interludes. One of the best shows I’ve been to, period!

The USL Championship Board of Governors, meaning NCFC, voted in favor of returning with a provisional start date of July 11.

Becuase Sara Civian is either liking or retweeting, my timeline is full of writers at The Athletic announcing that they’ve been laid off. It’s a total of 46 writers and editors. She hasn’t posted anything, so I assume she’s not on the list.

She might be safe since she's probably not paid much. (for example she has a roommate) they probably are cutting higher paid people first. She's around 28, she was 5 when the Canes moved here. Also possible she could be laid off in the next few days. She did not finish her degree so that might be an issue if she needs to get another job. Probably doesn't matter for sports media but it might if she goes into news.

They cut the Hornets writer so maybe they will let her cover them too.

Last edited:
Becuase Sara Civian is either liking or retweeting, my timeline is full of writers at The Athletic announcing that they’ve been laid off. It’s a total of 46 writers and editors. She hasn’t posted anything, so I assume she’s not on the list.
That's awful news, I did notice they were running that dirt cheap annual subscription deal an awful lot during the pandemic but it's never a good sign to see layoffs. Yet another reason why all these sports hopefully can safely return soon.

Here's the story on The Athletic layoffs...

Not terribly shocking to someone like me who works in media.
Nope ... honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long. They have a huge staff covering baseball, for example, when all the content required could be generated by a couple of sports business writers. With nothing much actually happening, it's tough to generate enough content to keep that model chugging.

How about a fence company? Bought a house

It's a seller's market for houses now. Most sell in 1 or 2 days. Normally there are 5k houses on sale in the Triangle in June. Now it's only 2800. Friend selling a townhouse got 8 offers in 1 day .

Last edited:
How about a fence company? Bought a house

It's a seller's market for houses now. Most sell in 1 or 2 days. Normally there are 5k houses on sale in the Triangle in June. Now it's only 2800. Friend selling a townhouse got 8 offers in 1 day .
Good luck with your new home.

These guys are awesome...a bit pricey, but worth every penny. They put a new deck on my house two years ago and we still love it. I'm sure their work on fences is of a similiar quality.

My neighbors across the street sold their house in the height of the shutdown for $20K over asking price.

Anyone know a good house cleaning person or service for Apex?
We are not customers because we already had a cleaning service when we met her, but the wife of a business colleague of mine has built a super-successful residential maid service that I would check out if our existing service was no longer an option.

P.S. You may want to join NextDoor for your new neighborhood for these kinds of referrals.

I live in a great neighborhood in Cary and houses usually sell very quickly due to the low cost of them ($300k, tops), but there's a nice one that has been on the market for a while now. The asking price is only $289k. Weird.

Back