• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

As someone who has spent more than 1,400 nights of his life in Marriott properties, I am offended by this statement! :)

TBF, I‘ve stayed at some Marriott properties that far exceed the “quality” of service I received at the Dolphin. Those 2 properties are the red headed step children of the on-site hotels.

I've decided it's dumb to play without fans. But since it's all about the money I know that's why they are playing.

I mean, that's fine if you decide it's dumb. But in some specific cases, that money that you deride is all that's standing between some leagues and their ultimate survival. So, dumb as you think it is, they really have little choice but to do what they can to try and salvage their operations. Soccer in North America is what I primarily have in mind here. The NWSL is now, and has been throughout its existence, on precarious financial footing. They had finally managed to get themselves poised to expand and take advantage of the wave of support following a Women's World Cup for the first time, and to get their TV house in order to some degree and ... boom. A global pandemic comes along and cuts their feet out from under them. If they simply try to wait it out, they would have been forced to cut operations to the bone and basically shutter the league in hopes that somebody would still be there when they got back. Meanwhile the talent drain to Europe would have been dramatic and there's a VERY good chance that there wouldn't be anything left to salvage when they could resume normal operations. So, yeah ... running the tournament in Utah is fairly dumb on the face of it. You're replacing the 2020 season with a month long tournament where the teams will only play a maximum of 7 games, and that's just no replacement. But they're also replacing no television revenue with enough television revenue to allow the league to hunker down and survive to next season. That's not dumb and it's not insignificant. MLS is on slightly less precarious financial footing, but they need whatever TV revenue that they can get too ... MUCH worse than the NHL or NBA do. They also have the terrible timing of US Soccer getting out of the youth development business and dumping that burden in their laps as well. With no added revenue to offset those costs, a lot of the teams are basically just throwing up their hands and furloughing their development programs ... which will potentially be a major setback to the US Men's program in 5-6 years.

I have come to the conclusion that golf without fans may be more enjoyable on TV than with fans. No idiots yelling "Baba Booey" every time someone tees off is a welcomed change!

And the ability to hear the exchanges between player and caddy.

Never stayed at Swan or Dolphin but I thought there were some of the more expensive places there?
Nah. They are moderate by Disney's pricing standards (deluxe hotel rooms run in the $550-750 a night range, depending on time of year ... moderates are more like $250-400 a night) and probably on par with that in terms of the level of service. Since they are Starwood Properties, a good chunk of the guests are there on rewards points, and those are the only two resorts on Disney property where you can use rewards points for rooms. They're decent commercial hotels, but nothing like the 3 Disney properties that are also located at the Boardwalk area. The upside for the MLS teams is that Swan and Dolphin do offer a fair amount of meeting room space. That's a big factor for teams shacking up at Disney, since teams use meeting rooms for team meetings, video sessions and walkthroughs. The NBA got first dibs on the better properties because they started negotiating first and are probably paying more money as well.

US men's soccer going downhill ? You mean they won't be able to beat Trinidad and Tobago? And other countries with less people than Cary.

Trinidad and Tobago sounds like 2 diseases or a dish at a Mexican eatery.

US men's soccer going downhill ? You mean they won't be able to beat Trinidad and Tobago? And other countries with less people than Cary.

I’ve been to both Trinidad and Tobago, albeit 35 years ago. Trinidad is the commercial and capital island, Tobago has more scenery and a beautiful reef so close to shore that you can walk in from the beach and shallow enough that SCUBA isn’t necessary, it can be seen well with just a snorkel.

Former Whalers play by play man Rick Peckham is headed to the Hockey Hall of Fame as this year’s recipient of the Foster Hewitt award. He left the Whalers for Tampa in 1995 and has been there since.

Very helpful .... about 10 miles off of the point, and of course don't to forget to slag off a small country. Solid work

Nats Ryan Zimmerman also opts out with a newborn, 2 other kids and a mother at high risk. He clarified that he’s not retiring; he hasn’t decided anything post-2020.

Nats Ryan Zimmerman also opts out with a newborn, 2 other kids and a mother at high risk. He clarified that he’s not retiring; he hasn’t decided anything post-2020.
Wise man. Given how things have gone since we loosened up restrictions I wouldn't think it will end up being a small group that opts out.

I want to see if the Rays former Cy Young award winner Blake Snell backs up his earlier comments about backing out. The top of the rotation type players like Snell opting out will really set the table for how this all plays out in these abbreviated seasons.

Nah. They are moderate by Disney's pricing standards (deluxe hotel rooms run in the $550-750 a night range, depending on time of year ... moderates are more like $250-400 a night) and probably on par with that in terms of the level of service. Since they are Starwood Properties, a good chunk of the guests are there on rewards points, and those are the only two resorts on Disney property where you can use rewards points for rooms. They're decent commercial hotels, but nothing like the 3 Disney properties that are also located at the Boardwalk area. The upside for the MLS teams is that Swan and Dolphin do offer a fair amount of meeting room space. That's a big factor for teams shacking up at Disney, since teams use meeting rooms for team meetings, video sessions and walkthroughs. The NBA got first dibs on the better properties because they started negotiating first and are probably paying more money as well.
Spend a number of exciting nights (kidding) there with family for my daughters cheer competitions. Bluezoo restaurant is pretty good though.

I want to see if the Rays former Cy Young award winner Blake Snell backs up his earlier comments about backing out. The top of the rotation type players like Snell opting out will really set the table for how this all plays out in these abbreviated seasons.

Pitcher Joe Ross, expected to be the Nats’ 5th starter, has also opted out.

Players who opt out but aren’t considered to be in a high risk category will forfeit their 2020 salary and will not receive service time credit for the season.

Spend a number of exciting nights (kidding) there with family for my daughters cheer competitions. Bluezoo restaurant is pretty good though.
Bluezoo is indeed quite good, and the Mediterranean Market has perhaps the most under-rated breakfast buffet on Disney property ... both at the Dolphin. The Swan has a Shula's steakhouse and a decent Italian restaurant in Il Mulino. Nothing wrong with either hotel, but Swan and Dolphin are very corporate in a setting where Disney has plussed up their own properties in such a way as to make those two flat out boring.

Back