• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Jet Blue adding a non-stop to LA to their RDU routes is a big deal if it turns out to be long term. The only other "budget" options to LA involved a lot of weird changes and complications. And as Andy notes, it might drive down pricing for Delta and American a bit ... which would also be good. I've had decent experiences with Jet Blue and find them to be on par with Southwest (or better, depending on the route) in the budget category.

Jet Blue adding a non-stop to LA to their RDU routes is a big deal if it turns out to be long term. The only other "budget" options to LA involved a lot of weird changes and complications. And as Andy notes, it might drive down pricing for Delta and American a bit ... which would also be good. I've had decent experiences with Jet Blue and find them to be on par with Southwest (or better, depending on the route) in the budget category.

When we’ve flown to Portland for Thanksgiving at my sister’s house, we’ve usually gone out a couple of days early through San Francisco on United’s early morning nonstop. That flight allowed us to be in a winery in Napa or Sonoma in time for lunch. JetBlue’s flight is a 6 pm departure, so if we want to use it as a jumping off spot for the wineries in Santa Barbara or San Luis Obispo, we’d lose that first day. Not this year though, the flight doesn’t start until December 18.

A 6PM would actually suit my purposes just fine. I'm happy with this ... but guardedly so because we see a lot of new routes come and go pretty quickly. About time you get used to it, it's gone.

Sunday will mark exactly six months since I last disembarked from a plane. As someone who has flow 50K+ miles per year for each of the previous 33 years, this has been quite an adjustment!

Sunday will mark exactly six months since I last disembarked from a plane. As someone who has flow 50K+ miles per year for each of the previous 33 years, this has been quite an adjustment!
Tell me about it. This travel agent hasn't traveled anywhere further than Banner Elk since March. It's a weird new world.

I think in the future a lot of travel might be converted to Zoom meetings now that people see the lower costs. REI built a new HQ and instead of moving in they are selling it since they will allow people to work at home all the time

I think in the future a lot of travel might be converted to Zoom meetings now that people see the lower costs. REI built a new HQ and instead of moving in they are selling it since they will allow people to work at home all the time

My wife doubts she’ll ever be back in an office. Her company already had a large number of remote employees, so they’ve successfully worked with that model.

I’d hate to be a commercial real estate broker. The market is about to be flooded with lots of office space.

We are officially working from home through the rest of this year, but we'll end up back in an office environment when our new tower at Six Forks and the beltline is complete. The team I'm on, though, will be allowed to work from home however long we want. Since Advance Auto just loooooves an open office plan, I'll continue to work from home.

I'm at the tower "next door" across the parking lot watching yours get built (well, not there since March, but, yeah).... if we are ever back in the office someday, lunch on me.. I miss lunch @ Chuy's, a 1 block walk away, though my waistline doesn't.

Alright Husky, I will let you know if I'm ever at the office. It won't be until next year some time, though

I’d hate to be a commercial real estate broker. The market is about to be flooded with lots of office space.

Yeah, but that's actually good for the right kind of pin-hooker. There's a layer of guys who make hay when things turn to the grubby stuff, it's just not the ones that get glossy write-ups in the TBJ.

My company is permanently moving to mostly-remote status. We are 100% remote right now, and when the pandemic is over, I have no intention of requiring all but a handful of my senior executives to come to a physical location, and even then it will only be for a few hours a week. We are stuck with four more years of an office lease and I am hoping another company looking to downsize is interested in subletting; the space is already listed with a real estate agent.

I do anticipate, however, that my life of extensive business travel will return to pre-pandemic levels at some point in 2021. My colleagues and I did one-on-one interviews with roughly three dozen of our most important clients and every single one of them said they still want us on-site and in-person when we deliver projects to them.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's actually good for the right kind of pin-hooker. There's a layer of guys who make hay when things turn to the grubby stuff, it's just not the ones that get glossy write-ups in the TBJ.

Dude, did you just copy that from a 1930s detective novel?

My company is permanently moving to mostly-remote status. We are 100% remote right now, and when the pandemic is over, I have no intention of requiring all but a handful of my senior executives to come to a physical location, and even then it will only be for a few hours a week. We are stuck with four more years of an office lease and I am hoping another company looking to downsize is interested in subletting; the space is already listed with a real estate agent.

I do anticipate, however, that my life of extensive business travel will return to pre-pandemic levels at some point in 2021. My colleagues and I did one-on-one interviews with roughly three dozen of our most important clients and every single one of them said they still want us on-site and in-person when we deliver projects to them.

I assume you can work cheaper for clients with less travel ? Clients pay for the travel costs right. Some clients might prefer to pay less and use zoom webex etc Do you really need to be there to tell them how to run their business?

Last edited:
I assume you can work cheaper for clients with less travel ? Clients pay for the travel costs right. Some clients might prefer to pay less and use zoom webex etc Do you really need to be there to tell them how to run their business?
Yes, our clients pay for our travel. As I said in my post, we interviewed three dozen of our most important customers and every single one said they want us on-site delivering projects when it is safe to do so again.

I guess I am different since I work in the tech world and the only time I travel is to a conference. Everything else we do on the phone or use webex or MS teams. People I work with are all over the east coast.

Back