• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

I guess I am different since I work in the tech world and the only time I travel is to a conference. Everything else we do on the phone or use webex or MS teams. People I work with are all over the east coast.
I mean, yeah ... tech stuff is MUCH more likely to be open to being handled remotely than some other industries. It's hard to do a travel conference without actually traveling, for example. Construction and Real Estate require hands on participation for their trade conferences on some levels. Just because your business can flip a switch and go online for most things doesn't mean everyone can.

I mean, yeah ... tech stuff is MUCH more likely to be open to being handled remotely than some other industries. It's hard to do a travel conference without actually traveling, for example. Construction and Real Estate require hands on participation for their trade conferences on some levels. Just because your business can flip a switch and go online for most things doesn't mean everyone can.
Ours falls somewhere in the middle. We can operate our business 100% remote with little difficulty; we've been doing that since March 13th and it has gone nearly flawlessly. As I mentioned previously, we will be moving to that approach on a semi-permanent basis.

However, our clients rely on our advice and then we collaborate on strategies and tactics that flow from that advice and that collaboration still works best when we are all in the same room together focused on the mission at hand. Even in the pre-pandemic days when there was inevitably one or two people participating remotely, their input was never as valuable as the input from those in the room working together and not distracted by other things.

I am a huge believer in the transformative power of technology on business; however, there will always be some things that demand in-person collaboration.

I am a huge believer in the transformative power of technology on business; however, there will always be some things that demand in-person collaboration.
At the end of the day, that's going to prove true for most businesses, I suspect. In the short term, you can take a break from face to face meetings on the road, but some level of demand for that is going to rekindle eventually.

Only 4 names left...Sally, Teddy, Vicky and Wilfred, before the names revert to the Greek alphabet. We went 6 deep into the alphabet in 2005 and 5 names were retired; Dennis, Katrina, Rita (the previous earliest R named storm), Stan and Wilma. That wave coming off the African continent will probably be Sally and they’re already predicting that we’ll need to keep our eyes on that one.

And then there was 1. Teddy and Vicky formed today, leaving Wilfred as last name left. Sally will hit the gulf coast tomorrow, possibly as a category 2, and will bring us rain for the weekend.

Nope... and as an FYI the Greek Letters are unretireable... so if we had Hurricane Alpha come inland doing billions of dollars it'd just be Hurricane Alpha 2020 and next time we ran out there would be another Hurricane Alpha. BTW only once have we had to go to Greek letters and that was 2005.
and only once have there been 5 TD+ storms at the same time in the Atlantic. The other I wasn't alive yet. 1971.

Nope... and as an FYI the Greek Letters are unretireable... so if we had Hurricane Alpha come inland doing billions of dollars it'd just be Hurricane Alpha 2020 and next time we ran out there would be another Hurricane Alpha. BTW only once have we had to go to Greek letters and that was 2005.
and only once have there been 5 TD+ storms at the same time in the Atlantic. The other I wasn't alive yet. 1971.
My first hurricane was Agnes in Corning, NY in June 1972. I was 10 at the time.

I'm from NC, man ... if anybody thinks I can remember my first hurricane they're nuts. It's like trying to remember your first heavy thunderstorm.

My first hurricane was Hurricane Matthias and it melted my face off with it's hot as hell riffs in Rock You Like a Hurricane

I'm from NC, man ... if anybody thinks I can remember my first hurricane they're nuts. It's like trying to remember your first heavy thunderstorm.
I don't think I knew the word until Agnes hit. Not your normal everyday occurrence in NY, PA, OH and IN, which is where I had lived up to that point.

My first extended time in a hurricane-prone area was in college in Houston from '73 to '77, and I don't recall a single one in that time. And none in grad school here from '81 to '86. So really, Fran was my first that made any impact on me.

I don't think I knew the word until Agnes hit. Not your normal everyday occurrence in NY, PA, OH and IN, which is where I had lived up to that point.
I remember Agnes well, even though I was only 6 years old at the time...it went straight over my house on Long Island. We evacuated to my Dad's printing factory about ten miles inland and spent the night there with about 20 other people. I remember going outside when the eye passed over; that is a surreal experience.

Last edited:
I was wicked sick with mono in bed during Hugo just a few months after moving here, slept right through it; they told me about it later. The worst was of course west of here, but I wouldn't have known if it went right over me. My future wife was looking after me or my mother probably would have hopped a plane down here to do it. We happened to be out of state during Fran, had to call back here to neighbors for damage reports, and my son was born the day Floyd went over us.. had to call somewhere (police? memory is foggy) to make sure it was safe to go out to the hospital when it "was time" and had to dodge quite a bit of debris on the roads. I remember quite a few of these for reasons that are only marginally related to the hurricane itself, lol....

I mean ... I just grew up thinking that hurricane-related weather was a thing that happened in September. Because it generally did/does around here. I was probably 10 or so before I even noticed that they named those things. And I've been through so many of them at this point that the specific names barely register.

I know a lot of folks around here probably aren't into the NBA but there's a game 7 tonight that features Kahwi. I'll for sure be tuning in the second half. I don't care what the sport is, a game 7 is a game 7 and I try to watch those as much as I can.

How that Toronto/Philly game 7 ended last year is one of the greatest sports things I've witnessed. Kawhi dribbles it around for a few seconds, puts it up from a corner, buzzer sounds, doink doink doink doink on the rim before finally falling in.

According to Pete Thamel from Yahoo Sports, the Big Ten will announce today that they’re starting football season on October 24. It will include daily, rapid testing as part of the plan.

Back