• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous News Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
I guess by quitting he does not get any more money, or not the full amount of the contract?
It's clearly a negotiated resignation. As such, it might well have come with some sort of consideration attached ... monetary or otherwise.

I'm far from convinced that firing a guy "for cause" based on his actions prior to the start of his current contract is as easy as people seem to think it is. In fact, I think it's danged near impossible. The onus of due diligence is on the employer, not the employee ... unless the employee actively tries to deceive regarding prior actions. That wouldn't seem to be the case here at all. Based on his "apology" I'm not convinced Peters thinks he did anything wrong at all ... ever ... like in his whole life. It's on the Flames to know who and what they're hiring, not on a prospective coach to bring up past actions that may or may not present a problem to the team at some point in the future.

TheBigKahuna

Ron Francis is being blamed by everyone associated with the team when this all happened. He's toast too. His indecisiveness is going to be his demise.

Paulie Walnuts

I think Francis can possibly survive. I would guess now he's meeting with PR people to figure out what to say and not say.

He's going to get the famous question "what did you know and when did you know it?"

Punzil

In one article, Aliu points to the incident and claims that he could probably have become a better player (7 NHL games to date) with a better coach. It does kind of make me wonder in hindsight what Jordan could have blossomed into under Brind'Amour instead of Peters... if anything.

ThinIce

I don't think they'll be any real blowback on Francis. He's got a stellar resume with the NHL and a HoFer. Significantly, this wasn't well-known around the league and the thing with Michel Jordan happened after Peters was hired.

TheBigKahuna

I think Francis can possibly survive. I would guess now he's meeting with PR people to figure out what to say and not say.

He's going to get the famous question "what did you know and when did you know it?"
Francis is going to have a hard time shaking the stink off, after choosing to do nothing. Again.

Paulie Walnuts

since Francis is with an expansion team they are not expected to win for a few years. If he was with any other team that would not be the case.

CarolinaPen

Ron Francis is being blamed by everyone associated with the team when this all happened. He's toast too. His indecisiveness is going to be his demise.
I agree that Francis's job is on the line now. Depending on how he handles this and what he says over the next week will likely determine if he gets to build the Seattle team or continues into retirement. Anyone else find it interesting how fast Old Petey threw Francis under the bus?

dwind

I don’t see how RF can be guilty of anything. He obviously didn’t know about the ice hogs incident And the others, the punch and kick I’m sure he ‘discussed’ this with peters and doubtful there was a repeat incident.

CanadaCanes

Francis not speaking at all on the issue is gutless, and the heat is being turned on when you have Seattle media now ringing Karmanos phone on the topic and Karmanos saying Francis didn’t say a word about the Peters incidents to him. Francis is hoping this just goes away but he really will take a hit if he just thinks staying silent is his best course of action. Count me in the camp that thinks Francis is going to be in some hot water, after all, the NHL continues to investigate both incidents regarding Peters and the Canes incident had Francis at the controls, so that’s not a free pass.

Last edited:

dwind

Because he’d need his approval to fire him. Which is what he should have done as soon as he was told about it.
Why would he fire him? actually he should have for a different reason - impersonating a hockey coach - but that is off topic.
what was said about the kick and punch? What did the players say? What did Francis and peters agree to? And a gm doesn’t take every problem to the owner. The gm handles them.
now, if he’d used the slur during RFs watch then it’s a different story.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Why would he fire him? actually he should have for a different reason - impersonating a hockey coach - but that is off topic.
what was said about the kick and punch? What did the players say? What did Francis and peters agree to? And a gm doesn’t take every problem to the owner. The gm handles them.
now, if he’d used the slur during RFs watch then it’s a different story.
He kicked Jordan and punched another player. That’s why he should have been fired.

cmon3

There are different levels of kicking and punching. Some would warrant firing some would not.

I think he created a toxic environment in general and I’m glad he’s gone. Funny how we were belittled for not being able to keep such a “great coach”.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Francis clearly looked at those two incidents and decided to work through them instead of just dumping Peters. We sit here several years down the road and informed by the racial slur incident in Rockford and we see a bigger picture, but that time all he saw was a coach with an anger problem. That's not exactly unusual, sadly. I'm sure Francis thought he was doing the right thing at the time by helping a first time NHL coach find a way through a player relationship problem, but for me the big issue right now is that it hasn't occurred to him that it's pretty much mandatory that he stand up and explain his thinking back in 2016. Because that backs up the worst of the whispers I've heard about Francis' tenure as GM since he left ... that he was arrogant and didn't take kindly to dissenting opinions. That he's the kind of manager who picks and choses points of view that back up his own set notions and disregards the rest.

Look. Ron Francis is a big boy and is responsible for his own reputation. If he wants to remain silent, there's going to be a price to pay for that eventually. In the meantime, I'm just happy that he's Seattle's problem and not ours.