• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

They needed a D man and have come up empty on a couple of options since they struck out on Faulk in training camp. Gudbranson remains one of the worst D-men in the league according to the stats nerds. Big but otherwise fairly useless. Still, he's a warm body with NHL experience ... I guess.

Josh Manson, whose injury necessitated the trade, has a sprained MCL and is not surgical. He’ll be out anywhere from 5-10 weeks.

But only 20 more games until the pick they sent us is upgraded.
That's the key for sure, once Fox hits that 30 game mark it automatically kicks in as a second rounder for the Canes, which could be a high second round pick if the Rangers sputter along all season. And FWIW, the Leafs can continue to sputter along and make that first rounder coming our way even sweeter as well!

I would think that after passing the 10-game mark, Fox is there to stay (especially if they're so pleased with him as we've been led to believe).

I would think that after passing the 10-game mark, Fox is there to stay (especially if they're so pleased with him as we've been led to believe).
He didn't take too long at at least rise to the level when he doesn't look out of place in what is a very mediocre D group. I suspect he'll be fine as it's increasingly obvious there won't be much pressure on winning in New York this season. I do wonder why the heck they bought out Shattenkirk given how decent he's looked in Tampa. Apparently the problem was with the team in that situation. That D is a mess either way ... Trouba, Skjei and a lot of either kids or slow guys.

That D is a mess either way ... Trouba, Skjei and a lot of either kids or slow guys.

That also apparently now includes Marc Staal, who was a healthy scratch for the first time in his career on Tuesday night. Bob McKenzie discussed how the Ranjerks were apparently sending a "wake-up call" to Staal with this move. Staal has one more year left after this one on his current deal at a cap hit of $5.7 million.

That also apparently now includes Marc Staal, who was a healthy scratch for the first time in his career on Tuesday night. Bob McKenzie discussed how the Ranjerks were apparently sending a "wake-up call" to Staal with this move. Staal has one more year left after this one on his current deal at a cap hit of $5.7 million.
Setting up perfectly for the eventual Staal "trifecta" reunion tour. Kidding. Happy Halloween folks!

Unless that wake up call can result in him finding 10-15% more straight line speed then they're wasting their breath. Dude hasn't aged well

And FWIW, the Leafs can continue to sputter along and make that first rounder coming our way even sweeter as well!

Even though it would be a shocker if this was important, the 2020 1st rounder from the Leafs is protected (top 10 overall). Too much to ask for the Leafs to miss the playoffs, end up with a top 10 pick, and then miss the playoffs again and we end up with 2021 lottery pick. I could be happy though with the Leafs missing the playoffs and us getting pick #11 in 2020.

I'd be OK with a #11 pick, honestly... there's usually a Necas, Bean, or Sutter floating around at that pick, and I've got enough faith in Waddell right now to trust that he wouldn't pick a Heerema or Ryan Murphy.

And in a coulda-woulda-shoulda... I can imagine the flak that JR would have gotten had he picked Marc Staal over Jack Johnson in 2005, but I imagine the results could have been a heck of a lot sweeter.

Flames are desperate to sell Tkachuk's last second between the legs OT game winner last night as goal of the year to lessen the number of times people see them fail to stop Svech's lacrosse goal:

That was a pretty darn skilled goal I will admit....

Flames are desperate to sell Tkachuk's last second between the legs OT game winner last night as goal of the year to lessen the number of times people see them fail to stop Svech's lacrosse goal:

That was a pretty darn skilled goal I will admit....

True but the between the legs thing has been done before, including by Nathan Gerbe. And I’m not counting Malik since it was in a shootout.

The difference with this one is that Tkachuk one-timed it, between the legs. Not a breakaway move like has been seen numerous times now. Not a between the legs flip from right in front of the net either. Between the dots, he went between the legs to one time a shot and picked top corner. I don't recall ever seeing anyone do that in the NHL before.

The difference with this one is that Tkachuk one-timed it, between the legs. Not a breakaway move like has been seen numerous times now. Not a between the legs flip from right in front of the net either. Between the dots, he went between the legs to one time a shot and picked top corner. I don't recall ever seeing anyone do that in the NHL before.
Me either, but Svech's degree of difficulty was on a different planet than Tkachuk's goal.

Back