• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

There are more than a few rumblings about Crawford, so I doubt Avery will the last to speak up about him. A few others will be sweating the next few weeks as well ... Darryl Sutter, Bill Peters and Mike Babcock aren't the only abusive d-bags to have worked NHL benches in recent years.

Today’s Seattle Times has a follow-up to the Francis/Karmanos statement “discrepancy”. Responding to text messages after Francis’ statement, Pete got all mealy-mouthed.

Asked by text about the discrepancy between his interview comments and Francis saying ownership was briefed about the alleged abuse, Karmanos responded Sunday with what reads like an NHL press release. He applauded the “spectacular job” Francis did with the Hurricanes adding he’ll do the same as NHL Seattle’s GM. But Karmanos sidestepped answering whether Francis had indeed briefed him, adding instead: “His communication skills might be lacking but he and his team took immediate and effective action to address Coach Peters.”

BTW ... Seattle is NOT the kind of market where you can get away with vague platitudes on hot button social issues. The Times is no how, no way going to let Francis get away with that press release without a chance to grill him in person. And the longer he puts that off, the more evidence will gather that his old school BS isn't going to be a good fit for that market.

I’m sorry, but I still don’t understand the hype over this.
Who are the ‘staff’ and players that met with Francis? Was this a scheduled monthly meeting or a special one? Did someone take off their shoe and bang on RFs desk or was it more like, ‘say RF, could you talk with coach and tel him to take it easy and less physical on the players. He kicked one in the butt and punched one in the helmet. Yeah, the players are fine but a mite miffed. thanks!

Who's hyping anything? Faced with an abusive a-hole of a coach and complaints from players and staff, Francis decided to give Peters a firm talking to and make him apologize to the room. Then he turned around and gave the guy an extension. That's either a problem for you or it isn't. No hype .... just a value judgement. For me, it's a problem. For somebody else, maybe not. Whatever.

I see where dwind is coming from on this and I’ve said before there are differing levels of kicks and punches. Not that any is ok but at the lower end of the spectrum they’re not that serious and wouldn’t have a bearing on the extension if you were inclined to give one.

But why would you extend him anyway. This might not have been a significant factor but his performance didn’t deserve an extension and he was also a jerk.

There are more than a few rumblings about Crawford, so I doubt Avery will the last to speak up about him. A few others will be sweating the next few weeks as well ... Darryl Sutter, Bill Peters and Mike Babcock aren't the only abusive d-bags to have worked NHL benches in recent years.

Marc Crawford will be away from the team while they investigate.

I see where dwind is coming from on this and I’ve said before there are differing levels of kicks and punches. Not that any is ok but at the lower end of the spectrum they’re not that serious and wouldn’t have a bearing on the extension if you were inclined to give one.

But why would you extend him anyway. This might not have been a significant factor but his performance didn’t deserve an extension and he was also a jerk.

Thing is, it was a level that warranted assistant coaches bringing it upstairs to the GM which seems to me is a clue that this wasn’t really normal coaching behaviour.

But I don’t think I’m going to change any minds here. I personally don’t think it’s too much to ask that a coach not assault their players and I think if this is the best motivational tactic you can think of, you’re likely not that great of a coach.

Patrick O’Sullivan talked about Crawford’s abuse in his book 4 years ago.

Correct. This is by no means new news, but the current climate dictates that somebody actually take it seriously for a change. That's a good thing.

Thing is, it was a level that warranted assistant coaches bringing it upstairs to the GM which seems to me is a clue that this wasn’t really normal coaching behaviour.

But I don’t think I’m going to change any minds here. I personally don’t think it’s too much to ask that a coach not assault their players and I think if this is the best motivational tactic you can think of, you’re likely not that great of a coach.

I don’t think it’s normal or acceptable. However depending on the magnitude the proper response could have been a reprimand and demanding an apology etc. and if that was the end of it then it might not factor into the contract extension decision.

For me it would not have been a factor because I would not have considered extending him anyway because he was a prick and not getting the job done.

Which asst. coaches? Was Brindy one of them? note RF said ‘staff’ and that does not limit it to coaches. Again, was it a normal scheduled periodic meeting or was it a special meeting for this abuse subject? How was it presented? Shoe off banging on table saying get rid of that SOB or just one of several subjects presented at the meeting Asking RF to discuss it with Peters? And how did RF present it to PK?
was it part of a normal meeting or a special meeting?
note there is abuse at all levels of hockey including house league. We were very careful of our contact and conduct with kids and parents on and off the ice.

Which asst. coaches? Was Brindy one of them? note RF said ‘staff’ and that does not limit it to coaches. Again, was it a normal scheduled periodic meeting or was it a special meeting for this abuse subject? How was it presented? Shoe off banging on table saying get rid of that SOB or just one of several subjects presented at the meeting Asking RF to discuss it with Peters? And how did RF present it to PK?
was it part of a normal meeting or a special meeting?
note there is abuse at all levels of hockey including house league. We were very careful of our contact and conduct with kids and parents on and off the ice.
Yup ... we don't know enough to go around telling people that we know Francis screwed this up or not. We just don't ... and probably never will. But that does NOT mean that Ronnie gets a pass for his mealy mouthed public statement that he has followed up with absolutely no opportunity for questions. THAT part generally serves to indicate that he did something less than his best to manage the situation here and isn't willing to even discuss it. That's all I'm willing to go for at this point.

As for the extension, I thought it was ridiculous to reward a coach who was clearly not moving the program forward with more term. Forget the other stuff, the guy wasn't getting anywhere. If the only reason you extended him was that you didn't have any money to manage a transition and you saw a sale coming ... then freaking say that.

Peters and his coaching are a different subject IMHO. I never liked him and thought he was the worst coach I’d ever seen And that was from his first practice.
would I have extended him? I’d have extended my arm showing him the door.

Back