• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Pre-season is over, it starts for real tomorrow night with an NBCSN doubleheader. A matchup of the last 2 Stanley Cup champions at 8 from St. Louis followed by a rematch of one of thee more contentious playoff series from last season with the Sharks at Vegas. San Jose will be without Evander Kane for the first 3 games, he was suspended for abuse of officials, shoving a linesman in their last pre-season game.

There were fireworks in the Sharks/Knights pre season game the other night, so that one is approaching Must See TV status. Hopefully the linesman who completely fouled up that game will be ... elsewhere.

The refs were Gord Dwyer and Steve Kozari, linesmen Ryan Gibbons and Kiel Murchison. Dwyer and Kozari inexplicably worked the finals last season. Nicholson and Gibbons have worked nearly 500 and 300 games, respectively. But Murchison worked the first round of the playoffs and was a standby for the 2nd round. Gibbons worked 2 rounds and was a standby for the conference finals.

Fairly sure it was Murchison who got himself tangled up with Evander Kane ... who got penalized for shoving an official who actually made irregular contact with him first. Frankly, his actions in that sequence were puzzling at best and fire-able at worst. It was amateur level stuff.

Fairly sure it was Murchison who got himself tangled up with Evander Kane ... who got penalized for shoving an official who actually made irregular contact with him first. Frankly, his actions in that sequence were puzzling at best and fire-able at worst. It was amateur level stuff.

It probably was Murchison. Either that or the league has a macabre sense of humor. Gibbons is working tonight’s game in Vegas with Brandon Gawryletz, who is even more inexperienced than Gibbons. Tonight will be his 267th game.

I mean, if Kane has to sit for 3 it's only fair that the linesman also sit for 3 ... or more. That was clown college stuff.

I'm not a fan of Kane, but have to agree that the linesman visibly was over zealous in dealing with an admittedly chaotic situation. Still, that's what they're paid to do, certainly better than that crap.

While,the site was down yesterday, the Blackhawks signed Alex DeBrincat to a 3 year extension with a $6.4 million AAV. Year 1 is a $4 million signing bonus and $1.1 million actual. Years 2 and 3 are all salary, at $5.1 million and $9 million, respectively.

The Blues signed Brayden Schenn to a 8 year extension with a $6.5 million AAV. No breakdown of actual or bonus yet. He’s in the last year of a 4 year deal with a $5.125 million AAV that he signed with the Flyers in 2016. That contract had a pretty equal split of bonus v. salary

Looks like teams are jumping at the chance to get their pending RFAs signed to that standard 'bridge deal' with the very large final year salary that we introduced by this year's crop of RFAs. Might as well eliminate the offseason pressure.

If you have 1 big year in your first 2 on your ELC you can get $8-9 million guaranteed 3 years down the road. What could possibly go wrong there?

Caps have to do some roster shuffling to accommodate adding Kuznetsov back to the roster. Isabelle Khurshudyan reports that Travis Boyd has been waived and Jonas Siegenthaler has been sent to Hershey on a paper transaction to bank a few days of cap room. Before those moves, the Caps had about $6.9 million of cap space and Kuznetsov carries a $7.8 million hit. The impact will be pro-rated reduced based on the days he’s missed, but they still have some work to do. Siegenthaler will have to come back, they only have 6 dmen on the roster including him. Caps next game is Tuesday.

That's two big bodied centers out of a lineup that counts on having those guys to make up for their D. That's going to be rough on the Pens. Breaks my heart, too. I promise it does.

The Caps managed to squeeze Kuznetsov back onto the roster. They sent Boyd to Hershey and got 1 day cap relief by sending Sigenthaler down and recalling him the next day. Caps have no margin for error on defense, they’re only carrying 6 dmen and only have $113k in cap space.

That's two big bodied centers out of a lineup that counts on having those guys to make up for their D. That's going to be rough on the Pens. Breaks my heart, too. I promise it does.

I can sense the sincerity dripping off you. As sincere as my feelings in the injury are.

Dreger tweeted that Malkin has a soft tissue injury and is expected to be out at least 1 month.

Back