• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

Injuries really piling up. I think this is a dumb yet low risk move. The real risk is Kovalchuk playing well. I want to tank.

Did I read that Gallagher is 5th forward lost to injury?

Last edited:
Fired stars coach Montgomery said today he has a problem with alcohol and he went to a treatment program.
Here's a link with more details...

Best wishes to him on his recovery.

Pens were going to recall goalie Casey DeSmith from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton today for their game in Montreal. Only one problem...he lost his passport. The had to recall Emil Larmi from Wheeling in the ECHL instead.

Larmi I'm sure appreciated DeSmith's screw up. That was a quick 4 grand for Larmi to warm up and then watch that game in full uniform. Much better than the $400 he was slated to earn that night in ECHL. Taxes though will cut into that quite a bit.

Was just wondering the other day how long Laviolette’s leash was in Nashville. Well, wonder no more. He’s out.

Has McCarthy ever come close to landing a head coaching job for himself? Just curious, considering he's been following Lavi since he left the Canes.

They're already predicting that Ron Francis may try to sign Laviolette for Seattle.

IMHO they could do worse

They're already predicting that Ron Francis may try to sign Laviolette for Seattle.
[/QUOTE]

Has McCarthy ever come close to landing a head coaching job for himself? Just curious, considering he's been following Lavi since he left the Canes.

McCarthy was head coach of the 1989-90 Hershey Bears. He was Whalers assistant for 3 years from 1992-95 under Holmgren and McPlankton. He left for 4 years to be head coach in Springfield and New Haven for 2 years each before re-joining the franchise for the 1st season in Raleigh, 1999-2000. Lavi inherited him from Mo in 03-04 but he stayed with Mo after Lavi was fired in 2008. He started the 09-10 season with Mo and then left as soon as Lavi was hired in Philly later in 2009. I’m pretty sure he’s never been considered as a head coach. And he’s 63 years old and won’t be. He needs to hope Lavi gets hired someplace soon.

Former Devils coach John Hynes will be named as Preds coach today, per Kevin Weekes.

NY Rangers called up Igor Shesterkin from AHL Hartford and he will make his NHL debut tonight:

Couple of things about this that interest me.

* The Rangers are going to be carrying 3 goalies (which is usually not a tolerable situation)

* Igor Shesterkin's AHL numbers (1.93 GAA .932 Sv%) would be substantially better if the Checkers didn't light him up twice a couple of weeks ago.

To put that 2nd point another way

Igor Shesterkin vs. Checkers this season:

3 Games 71 Shots 60 Saves (11 Goals allowed) 125:18 Minutes played = 5.27 GAA .845 Sv%

Igor Shesterkin vs. everyone else but the Checkers:

20 Games 565 Shots 533 Saves (32 Goals Allowed) 1210 Minutes played = 1.59 GAA .943 Sv%

Am I hoping that is some bizarre trend that carries over to the NHL when the Canes play the Rangers with Shesterkin in goal? You bet! :D

Speculation is the Rangers would like to trade Alexandar Georgiev somewhere desperate for a backup or a potential 1B (Toronto??!?!?!) and get a decent prospect or pick back in return.

Anyhow, this kid is supposed to be the future for the Rangers in goal. He makes his debut tonight.

Back