• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

If the travel ban and all these restrictions are still in place 6-8 weeks from now it wont matter, the season will be toast and they can reconvene in September when next season starts. The reality is, the chances of the season coming back this spring and summer is looking bleaker by the day.

If the travel ban and all these restrictions are still in place 6-8 weeks from now it wont matter, the season will be toast and they can reconvene in September when next season starts. The reality is, the chances of the season coming back this spring and summer is looking bleaker by the day.
In the travel biz, we're being told by our various associations (CLIA and IATA for us) that we should go ahead and anticipate the travel ban being extended to match the CDC's restrictions on gatherings. The gist there being that cruises are unlikely to resume until the end of that 8 week period, but extending that to the sports world it means that the NHL and NBA are going to have a tough time resuming play until mid-May ... which would require some ramp-up and probably extend things WELL into the summer if they intend to play even a heavily modified playoff schedule.

Bottom line ... go ahead and prepare yourself for the rest of the NHL season to simply be cancelled. If it isn't, then so be it ... but the chances are higher that the 2019-20 season is done.

If there are travel plans still in place, there won't be professional sports in place either.
That's my thinking. Also, Canada is VERY likely to tighten entry requirements for travelers from the US, and that would kill any chance any of the major pro leagues have of resuming activity in the short term. Plus, the NHL and NBA have to release their European players to go to their actual homes at some point. You can't effectively hold those guys hostage indefinitely.

All of those players are here on work visas. Does anyone know their term? Are they 12 months, the duration of the season, hard end date, etc.? If the league wants to resume in June, how does that affect their status?

NHL says they might open camps in 45 or 60 days . That is start of May or Mid may. If the latter then June 1 would probably be a start date for whatever happens.

I would guess the visas have nothing to say about end of season but would have an end date which could be July 1. They might be able to grant a waiver beyond that or maybe Congress would have to pass a law for the waiver. a lot of people in various jobs may need waivers

All of those players are here on work visas. Does anyone know their term? Are they 12 months, the duration of the season, hard end date, etc.? If the league wants to resume in June, how does that affect their status?
Visas can be extended, or new ones issued. I don't think that's a problem. The problem would be that you'd have to cram a LOT of stuff into a VERY short period of time if that travel ban is extended to mid-May. I mean ... fine, maybe so. Personally, if that ban is extended then I'm not counting on more hockey this season.

Do coaches get bonuses for making the playoffs and advancing? If so I wonder if coaches now in the top 8 would get a bonus?

Many NCAA coaches get bonuses for making the tourney and it's bigger how far they advance. So that won't happen

Do coaches get bonuses for making the playoffs and advancing? If so I wonder if coaches now in the top 8 would get a bonus?

Many NCAA coaches get bonuses for making the tourney and it's bigger how far they advance. So that won't happen
So do yeah ... and we'll have to wait and see if we have playoffs or not.

NCAA thought about only 16 teams for BB. I think the NHL might only do 8 which means no Canes. Or the 1st round could be 5 or even 3 games.

NCAA thought about only 16 teams for BB. I think the NHL might only do 8 which means no Canes. Or the 1st round could be 5 or even 3 games.

For now, the reporting has leaned to a 16 team playoff with a modified format ... or even a bigger field to allow for those who were close at the time of the pause.

And again ... until there's a time frame for returning to play that makes sense, it could be absolutely anything. Nobody knows.

Brian Lawton tweeted that he’s being told the AHL will cancel the rest of their season.

Brian Lawton tweeted that he’s being told the AHL will cancel the rest of their season.
Turns out they ended up just extending their shutdown through May and released the players to return home. Not sure if they changed course or if the reporting was presumptive. Either way the AHL is basically one step ahead of the NHL now, simply by having set a "at least through" date for their shutdown.

I think people will be wary of large crowds for a while , that might even extend into FB season. Most diehard fans won't care but I can see a lot of more casual fans staying home this year even if events are held. Some fans like the tailgate better so they might just tailgate . Some stadiums don't allow tailgates during the game so in that case people may just head home.

The NHL has its first cases. An Ottawa Senators player has tested positive and multiple players are ill and awaiting test results. They played the Kings at Staples Center in the last game before the league suspended, where the Brooklyn Nets had played the night before. The Nets announced yesterday that they had 4 positives.

On the slide partly due to tickets being more expensive and every game is on TV now and many sports fans have really big HD TVs
Compared to the rise in cost for every other set of tickets I buy, the cost for college football has barely changed at all in the last decade. That's NOT it. The culture of how we watch college football has changed for sure, and the Championship tier teams are now pretty much playing a different sport than the "other guys." I think that's a much bigger factor.

The NHL has its first cases. An Ottawa Senators player has tested positive and multiple players are ill and awaiting test results. They played the Kings at Staples Center in the last game before the league suspended, where the Brooklyn Nets had played the night before. The Nets announced yesterday that they had 4 positives.

Locker rooms are TERRIBLE environments for this kind of stuff, no matter the level of cleaning. It was good that the various leagues shut it down as quickly as they did because the spread could have been a LOT worse than what we're going to see.

Back