• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

The tricky bit is that right now is a terrible time to be making big plans for recovery. First, the end game on this mess is WAY less than clear, including the timing. That's not likely to change. Second, the ticket buying public is watching their income shrivel and almost certainly aren't going to have the kind of confidence required to commit to expensive hockey tickets anytime in the near future ... whether this mess lasts another week or 2 months.

Making important decisions right now is like throwing a lawn dart into the Atlantic while blindfolded and hoping you hit a shark

The tricky bit is that right now is a terrible time to be making big plans for recovery. First, the end game on this mess is WAY less than clear, including the timing. That's not likely to change. Second, the ticket buying public is watching their income shrivel and almost certainly aren't going to have the kind of confidence required to commit to expensive hockey tickets anytime in the near future ... whether this mess lasts another week or 2 months.

Making important decisions right now is like throwing a lawn dart into the Atlantic while blindfolded and hoping you hit a shark

"hoping you hit a shark.......off the coast of china"

Admiral Vladivostok announced that they will not participate in the 2020-21 KHL season. No word on whether this is permanent, temporary or if they’ll move down to the VHL. They are 1 of only 2 far eastern Russian teams in the league, so travel had to be an issue. There is also a team in Beijing.

Admiral Vladivostok announced that they will not participate in the 2020-21 KHL season. No word on whether this is permanent, temporary or if they’ll move down to the VHL. They are 1 of only 2 far eastern Russian teams in the league, so travel had to be an issue. There is also a team in Beijing.
Pragmatic. I've read several articles indicating that a good chunk of the smaller market teams in various European leagues have all been hanging on by their fingernails even while things have been going relatively well over the last 5-6 years. If you're barely surviving in good times, you HAVE to know you're not going to make it through the hard times to come. May as well just face reality head and and call it a day.

I agree JB, making a plan for anything right now is simply fruitless...the scary part of all of this is trying to even come up with a month somewhere down the road where anything can be even deemed safe or ready to resume in any sort of regular fashion. It has went from weeks to months to now who knows...it's only been a couple weeks of this shutdown and the weeks ahead look worse, I just do not see any light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to making concrete plans for anything where you can be assured that things are "back to normal operations"...

Jim Matheson, whoever he is, tweeted that there are reports in Russian media that Bill Peters might be hired by Yekaterinburg in the KHL. Pavel Datsyuk plays there and may have recommended him.

Jim Matheson, whoever he is, tweeted that there are reports in Russian media that Bill Peters might be hired by Yekaterinburg in the KHL. Pavel Datsyuk plays there and may have recommended him.

That city is where the last Tsar and his family were executed in 1918. I thought I recognized the name so I looked it up.

from twitter:

As was reported last week on Insider Trading, the NHLPA is expected to release escrow money from 2018/2019 back to the players and the NHL later this week or early next. The owners share is around $230 million and the players share is $80 million.

from twitter:

As was reported last week on Insider Trading, the NHLPA is expected to release escrow money from 2018/2019 back to the players and the NHL later this week or early next. The owners share is around $230 million and the players share is $80 million.

Next year's escrow withholdings could get ugly. I've seen projections of about 35%, which makes sense if the season is over. If the season ends, the league is about $1 billion short on its revenue projection, or 20%. The league routinely withholds 14% escrow, so it's not far fetched. What the league and PA should be doing, instead of talking about putting games in North Dakota or BFE, is working on the CBA and a more equitable escrow, maybe allowing that extra 20% to be absorbed over 4 years, with a relatively static salary cap. If the league's revenues increase faster, especially with a new US TV contract coming after the 21-22 season, the escrow will be shorter.

Florence Schelling has been named GM of SC Bern of the Swiss League. She becomes the first woman GM of a professional club. They’ve won 16 league championships, most recently last year. They’ve had the best attendance of any club in Europe for 18 years in a row, through 2019, averaging more than 16,000 per game. Former Canes draftee Justin Krueger plays there.

Did not get a lot of press, but the SF Giants hired a female coach in Jan. She played college softball and worked for the giants doing fitness training. She's the first female MLB coach.

Back