• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

I was more thinking about how they have the lottery set up. It would be crazy unfair if the Rangers advanced and had a shot at a lottery pick with your first rounder when you were firmly in a playoff spot at the end of the year.

Elliotte Friedman says the plan also includes 2 exhibition games per team, 28 skaters and as many goalies as each team wants to carry. Keep I mind that the league is limiting teams to about 50 people.

I was more thinking about how they have the lottery set up. It would be crazy unfair if the Rangers advanced and had a shot at a lottery pick with your first rounder when you were firmly in a playoff spot at the end of the year.

The lottery is the thing that bothers me the most and makes the least amount of sense to me. Conduct the lottery among the 7 non-playoff teams and be done with it.

The lottery is the thing that bothers me the most and makes the least amount of sense to me. Conduct the lottery among the 7 non-playoff teams and be done with it.

I actually agree - it's the most fair.

Even if technically it's the only way the Leafs might get our first rounder back from you guys.

You’re welcome. I was watching on TV, my wife was watching on the NHL website in another room and lobbing questions at me while I was trying to simultaneously listen and type.

The best of 5 refers to all series before the conference finals, as does completing in “about” 1 month (I missed the about part). The only series length set in stone is the qualifying round at best of 5. The next 2 rounds are TBD. With no travel, and every team playing every other day, it’s doable in about 1 month.
Thanks.

Classic NHL ... create a problem and then twist yourself into a pretzel trying to solve the problem that you made for yourself for no reason.

Here's where they landed ... create a problem by complicating the lottery for the teams that shouldn't have been in the post season but are, because whatever. Then solve it by kinda sorta screwing up the chances of those teams to get a lottery bump by giving them "a shot at the Cup" which is statistically meaningless. I'll pick on Montreal again ... instead of having a clean shot at moving up into the Top 3 in the draft, they'll have a MUCH more limited chance to move up in the draft order in exchange for the slimmest of slim chances of not getting their teeth kicked in by Pittsburgh in a 5 game series. And because of the roster restrictions, they can't even take a chance on a Russian free agent or college free agent or something to improve their moribund offense like they could have done in a normal year ... for "reasons." The would have been MUCH better off switching places with Buffalo, as the Sabres odds in the lottery are significantly better (6.5% shot at No. 1 versus 1.9% for Montreal) by dint of having finished with one less win and one less OT loss. And it's not like you're getting any extra revenue for your trouble, since there's no gate for these games. Glory is one thing, but the $2 million Canadian (or whatever) they get for a home playoff game is what non-contending teams are REALLY chasing down the stretch. That and saying you made the playoffs so the GM doesn't get fired. Oh ... apparently you can't do that until you win this qualifying round either. Lovely.

You guys are going to get sick of hearing me say it, so I'll try to pick my spots. The idiots that run this league couldn't come up with a logical plan that made everybody happy ... mostly because those don't exist ... and decided that they'd just offer guaranteed chaos instead. Because chaos is fun, right? That's what the young people want ... controversy and chaos. Remember how everybody liked last year's playoffs because they were unpredictable? Well, here's something that's freaking guaranteed to be unpredictable.

I'll watch my team and hope they do well whenever this nonsense eventually happens. But after that, I'm done with whatever this is.

Last edited:
on the bright side look what happened last time Canes were in the lottery

On the flip side, it’s possible that the Canes don’t get a first round pick.

Here is how that could happen. If the Canes lose to the Rangers, they go into the lottery. If the Leafs lose to the Jackets, they go into the lottery. We traded a first rounder to the Rangers for Skjei; they get the lower of our pick or Toronto’s. We have Toronto’s 1st round pick from the Marleau trade but it’s top 10 protected. If both the Canes and Leafs hit the lottery and end up in the top 10, the Rangers get our first rounder from the Skjei trade, the Leafs get to keep their pick, we get their 2021 1st rounder and don’t have a 1st rounder this year.

None of this will matter much if the bottom 7 get the 1st and 2nd overall picks, which remains the most likely scenario, so I'm not too worked up about the draft lottery yet. However if the Leafs lose to Columbus AND end up with the 1st overall pick....

On the flip side, it’s possible that the Canes don’t get a first round pick.

Here is how that could happen. If the Canes lose to the Rangers, they go into the lottery. If the Leafs lose to the Jackets, they go into the lottery. We traded a first rounder to the Rangers for Skjei; they get the lower of our pick or Toronto’s. We have Toronto’s 1st round pick from the Marleau trade but it’s top 10 protected. If both the Canes and Leafs hit the lottery and end up in the top 10, the Rangers get our first rounder from the Skjei trade, the Leafs get to keep their pick, we get their 2021 1st rounder and don’t have a 1st rounder this year.
Considering the eight teams who fail to win their best-of-five playoff qualification series will all be granted equal odds — 12.5 per cent — of securing the No. 1, 2 or 3 choice in the 2020 draft, that does seem like a real risk for the Canes to lose out entirely this year on a first round pick.

Can you imagine how bad this shit show will look for the Canes if the Rangers beat the Canes in a short series, the Jackets beat the Leafs in the same type of short series and then the Canes have to turn around and trade their first rounder to the team they just lost to in this funky set up and then the Leafs end up with a Top 3 draft pick via the lottery that they get to hold onto after the Canes held the Leafs first round pick all season long! I know there is a lot that has to happen to see all that go down but the Canes of yester years use to have that kind of bad luck...

And imagine the uproar if somehow Carey Price steals the series from the Pens in the qualifying round...Super Mario may have to dust off his old "the NHL is a garage league" quote!

Last edited:
The 8 teams that lose the play-in round don't have a 12.5% chance at 1, 2, or 3. For the first overall pick, its 24.5% that one of the 8 play-in losers end up with the first overall pick. If that happens, then each of the 8 play-in losers have an equal 12.5% chance of getting that pick.

In the end that comes out a to just a 3% chance that one of the 8 play-in losers ends up with the 1st overall pick. You got to hit the 24.5% chance first, and then hit the 12.5% chance after that. The odds will be slightly better than 3% for a play-in team to end up with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick, but not by much.

The 8 teams that lose the play-in round don't have a 12.5% chance at 1, 2, or 3. For the first overall pick, its 24.5% that one of the 8 play-in losers end up with the first overall pick. If that happens, then each of the 8 play-in losers have an equal 12.5% chance of getting that pick.

In the end that comes out a to just a 3% chance that one of the 8 play-in losers ends up with the 1st overall pick. You got to hit the 24.5% chance first, and then hit the 12.5% chance after that. The odds will be slightly better for a play-in team to end up with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick, but not by much.
So your saying there basically is a 1 in 4 chance of one of the eight play-in losers striking gold at the "chance" of securing the first overall pick, but then "if" that happens, the odds are equal at 12.5% of any of those 8 play-in losers to secure a top 3 pick with a 3% chance of winning the first overall pick? So 24.5% odds in the first phase is still pretty solid odds to see something funky go on with the draft order.

This is another (probably easier) way to look at it) for the 1st overall pick odds. Forget about phase 1 or phase 2

1st overall pick draft odds

Detroit 18.5%
Ottawa 13.5%
Ottawa (via SJ) 11.5%
LA 9.5%
Anaheim 8.5%
NJ 7.5%
Buffalo 6.5%
Play-in loser#1 3.0625%
Play-in loser#2 3.0625%
Play-in loser#3 3.0625%
Play-in loser#4 3.0625%
Play-in loser#5 3.0625%
Play-in loser#6 3.0625%
Play-in loser#7 3.0625%
Play-in loser#8 3.0625%

That is how the odds end up overall after phase 1 and 2.

Back