• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

I know we’re not looking for defense but appears that the senators are parting with Borowiecki. Would love someone like that guy. Decent in his own end, hard nosed, and willing to stick up for his guys without being a goon.
I mean ... Boro is fine, I guess. He's basically a worse version of Edmundson who's a bit beefier. Another left shot though, so I don't see a fit in Carolina unless they just want cheap veteran depth.

Dreger says the Caps have hired Peter Laviolette as coach and given him a 3 year contract. LeBrun says he’s been told it’s north of $4 million per year. He also says the Caps are picking up the remaining year of Lavi’s contract with Nashville at $2.5 million.

Edit: LeBrun says the deal is just under $15 million, so high $4’s per year. For that money, they could have kept Trotz.
Interesting. We all know Lavi is a quality coach, but he's a guy who prefers a very specific style of play ... a style of play that is very specifically NOT fitting with the way that Caps roster is built. Forget Ovechkin, I'm talking top to bottom. I'm wondering how much roster tinkering that front office is willing and/or able to do to find some puck possession hounds for Lavi to release. Otherwise this is bound to end in frustration ... which would be fine with me because the Caps can suck it.

Interesting. We all know Lavi is a quality coach, but he's a guy who prefers a very specific style of play ... a style of play that is very specifically NOT fitting with the way that Caps roster is built. Forget Ovechkin, I'm talking top to bottom. I'm wondering how much roster tinkering that front office is willing and/or able to do to find some puck possession hounds for Lavi to release. Otherwise this is bound to end in frustration ... which would be fine with me because the Caps can suck it.

I think they have a few guys who can perform in that role...Hagelin, Dowd, even Tom Wilson. Basically, the forwards that get a lot of PK time have the skill set to implement Lavi’s forecheck. But the rest of the roster? Not so much.

Their D, in particular is a mess. They're going to need to make a few moves with only 4 NHLers under contract currently. Siegenthaler can be extended, I'd assume ... but he doesn't do much. Gudas and Dillon are the kind of lumbering D that don't do well in Lavi's system and sort of suck in general anyway, so you'd think they're looking for at least two more mobile guys in the back. And they aren't seriously going to gear up for a Cup run with Samsonov and Copely holding down the crease, right? And no way they bring back Holtby after his last couple of years.

But, if you break out the owner's checkbook to bring in the marquee coach, you kind of figure It's an "all in" scenario in DC. I'm not exactly shaking in my boots if I'm the rest of the Metro, is what I'm saying. They've got firepower but I'm not sure they have a do-able plan. According to Cap Friendly, they've got $8 million to play with. That ain't much with that many holes to fill.

Not much has been said about Dallas cleaning up Vegas last night, but I was a bit depressed at the outcome if I'm honest. A Vegas/Tampa final would have been fun to watch, but Tampa/Dallas? Ugh. Two 1-1-3 trapping teams ... one big and slow and the other overloaded with scoring weapons. Guess who takes that one? Barring more super-heroic goalie gymnastics, of course. And unlikely as it sounds, Dallas/NYI would mean I'm 100% moving on to soccer for the time being. That would be a thrwoback to an era NOBODY misses ... with Heiskanen thrown in for flavor, thank God for that kid. I know one thing for certain. Dobby has made himself a butt-ton of money with his bubble showing in relief of Bishop. He's going to get over-paid and over-termed large style.

Last edited:
Wild sign dman Jonas Brodin to a 7 year/$42 million extension starting with the 2021-22 season. All salary, no bonus. It’s a hefty bump over the 6 year/$25 million contract he’s headed into the last year of. He has a full NMC starting now through the first 4 years. Per LeBrun the breakdown is:

2021-22 $4 M
2022-23 $5 M
2023-24 $8 M
2024-25 $8 M
2025-26 $7.5 M
2026-27 $5.5 M
2027-28 $4 M

The Slavin and Pesce contracts just continue to look better and better for the Canes. I think Pesce is better than Brodin and Slavin is WAY better than Brodin. I mean, the Wild need to keep him, but he is not a $6 million per Dman.

The Slavin and Pesce contracts just continue to look better and better for the Canes. I think Pesce is better than Brodin and Slavin is WAY better than Brodin. I mean, the Wild need to keep him, but he is not a $6 million per Dman.

Waddell can use Brodin’s contract as a comparable for Hamilton. :ROFLMAO:

Waddell can use Brodin’s contract as a comparable for Hamilton. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah ... thanks for the favor there, Billy Guerin. When is that franchise going to get a GM with some danged sense? Brodin may be a key piece for them, but you just paid a second pairing guy who doesn't do much on the power play like he's a top producer ... and gave him a NTC. Once he gets to that $8 million plateau he's making more than freaking Victor Hedman for crying out loud.

Montreal is expected to sign Edmunson to a new contract that is said to be between three-to-five years in length and worth around $3.5 to $4 million annually per Francois Gagnon of RDS in Canada.

Better them than us. I like Eddie, but he's over paid for what he can do. Apparently Montreal thinks there's un-tapped offensive potential there, but that's exceedingly rare in a player of his age.

Arizona hires Bill Armstrong as GM. He had been an Assistant GM in St. Louis.
Gun shy after going the unconventional route, the Yotes go with the classic "promising AGM" trope? Sure, why not? Armstrong's record as an amateur scouting director is about as good as it gets. Looking at the Blues draft boards, they've filled the pantry from less than great draft positions for his entire tenure, pretty much. Tarasenko, Binnington, Parayko, Dunn, Barbashev, Thomas, Blais ... all home grown on his watch. Plus, several other guys they shipped off in deals are either in the league or still look promising. No doubt that they've drafted well and that's a big deal ... especially in a market like Phoenix. Can he manage a front office? God only knows, but he can't be any worse than the bozo con man they had in there before.

Back