• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Offseason Thread

lol, what is this bankruptcy? The picks still exist and so do the teams. There's still an order of finish from last year. It's not Iceman or whoever fault that Stubby's and BNB's owners abandoned their teams.
So which team's pick would he get for Bad News Bears? Joe Blow's or John Doe's?

We should also try to figure out a way to prevent this from happening in the future. (Like maybe can't trade 1sts two years away, without paying the league fee ahead of time for that season?..or something of that ilk)

This, by the way, is a good idea for the future, I think. We put it in our football pool and it seems to work well (though we said any picks, not just 1sts).

Sorry if I sound defensive...I recognize it, but I feel like I shouldn't lose major assets over this. The teams do exist...it's not like we're contracting them. There are still 18 teams in here, and maybe a 19th one coming

I must be taking crazy pills, cause I can't see how you and Deckie don't get this.

Yeah I'm seeing it the same as Ray here.

If any of the abandoned teams' picks for 2020 have been traded, they are kept and any remaining picks go into the dispersal draft. If any future picks have been traded, they get "returned" and the team that currently owns them gets compensated.

That's how we did it last time, so I assumed we'd do it the same way. If not, someone else can figure out how to make it work.

We're talking about 2021 and beyond picks right?

2020 picks are still where they belong.

you didn't exactly specify Ray on which year. But yeah this year order of finish and going forward they get a compensatory pick just like the rest of us got the last time we did it

I must be taking crazy pills, cause I can't see how you and Deckie don't get this.

Well, there are 18 1st round picks each year, right? Next year there will still be 18 1st round picks, and presumably the year after that as well. Why are those picks changing from my team to someone else's just because of new owners coming in? If Stubby or Bears traded you a player, does that player revert back to the new owner in 2021 as well?

Sorry lol yeah I didn't mean this year's.

I brought up the 2021 & 2022 picks to get this whole thing started.

I thought it was obvious that we were talking about future picks.

to me it wasn't. Technically this draft is a future pick situation because we haven't done it yet, but yes yes middle of the round compensation picks is how it'll have to go next year and beyond

LOL I was focused on the future ones the whole time cuz I have 4 of those. I feel like I'm gonna lose this battle and maybe I'll sleep it off and be okay with it. :)

But not cool that if these guys trade you Judge, Snell, Gallo, etc last year, you benefit immediately, then keep all that value for good when the owners disappear, while my value turns into 4 mid-round compensation picks instead. Imagine you had to give up one of those guys now for, say, the 11th pick. Times 4.

I probably sound pretty whiny right now. I should probably try to remove myself from the message board fray for a little while and calm down. LOL Sorry I'm a bit heated, guys!

LOL I was focused on the future ones the whole time cuz I have 4 of those. I feel like I'm gonna lose this battle and maybe I'll sleep it off and be okay with it. :)

But not cool that if these guys trade you Judge, Snell, Gallo, etc last year, you benefit immediately, then keep all that value for good when the owners disappear, while my value turns into 4 mid-round compensation picks instead. Imagine you had to give up one of those guys now for, say, the 11th pick. Times 4.

I probably sound pretty whiny right now. I should probably try to remove myself from the message board fray for a little while and calm down. LOL Sorry I'm a bit heated, guys!

Yup, it does suck for you. I honestly don't know a better solution for it. You can't expect teams are going to just take off and leave you high and dry. All we can really do now is prevent it from happening again.

Usually in the past it's been just a few picks traded, usually to different teams. So this is a bit of a unique situation, and we can certainly talk about whether there's a little bit fairer option or not.

Although you pretty much have all the 1sts in the next few drafts anyways, Ice ... :)

LOL I have Bull's 1st next year too if he's gone as well. Which would also evaporate I guess.

I mean...guess I kinda feel like building for the future may have been a mistake.

There's a reason I hate trading for or trading away much future picks. Never know what happens, or even if you or the league is still around.

I would agree here, though, just giving a bunch of midround picks is kind of shitty. But on the other hand, it's really shitty to also bring in all these new owners and have them start with few assets and also not have picks either.

Although we may have a rare opportunity here since iceman literally owns all the firsts, right? We could probably actually assign them as compensation tied to the teams. So like, instead of just getting picks 11, 12, 13 in 2021, we say he gets picks right after each of the bailed teams. Our first round grows by a few picks, and iceman gets slightly screwed in that they each are a bit worse than they otherwise would be, but they may all be in the top half of the round at least. 2022 he only owns 2 of the 3 I think, so maybe those would have to be straight middle round compensation or something.

And, Holy mother of, it's bonkers how many firsts and prospects belong to one team. Seriously.

It's warranted "whining." It completely sucks. I'm just not sure there's a legitimate option that would make everyone happy.

Back