• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

State and Oregon winning their tournaments knocked out 2 bubble teams. Temple knocked out the only team that was going to make it from the AAC, so that took another. So 3 bubble teams lost their spot to conference tournament games.
State and Temple have both been knocked out by the reverse circumstances in recent years. Turnabout is fair play.

Last edited:
How does UVA not make the tournament? I can see Pitt and Wake not making it, though Pitt *should* be in. Wake Forest could've made if they hadn't shot themselves in the foot so much.
It would save our eyes from seeing UVa 'basketball' again.
But yeah, 4th place team in the ACC...while Clem's son is in.

BTW ... why the heck does the NCAA hold the women's tourney draw AFTER the men? The women's conference tournaments wrap up before the men's tourneys start. They could announce the ladies brackets during the first couple of days of the men's conference tournaments and let the programs start making travel plans.

BTW ... why the heck does the NCAA hold the women's tourney draw AFTER the men? The women's conference tournaments wrap up before the men's tourneys start. They could announce the ladies brackets during the first couple of days of the men's conference tournaments and let the programs start making travel plans.
Because that would make far too much sense.

Sports Illustrated lives! They reached a 10 year partnership agreement with Minute Media, owners of The Players’ Tribune and Fansided.
Honestly ... that's amazing. The kind of good surprise that has been truly rare in American media lately.

It's a drip, drip, drip - but college sports are dying quickly. Whether we end up with colleges as sponsors of professional minor league teams is the remaining question. I'm expecting a split. Some places like Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Florida State, will be happy to sponsor and pay for professional minor league teams with the college logo and maybe a class attendance requirement. Some amateur sports and individual focused sports will remain amateur (swimming, tennis, volleyball). Lacrosse? College hockey? Soccer? But with NIL payments as a norm, the focus is going to be on buying players. It'll take a while before we get a college salary cap.

I suspect fans will lose interest. What’s the difference between college and a minor league. They’ll need to have a union to make it even effective as a league.

It’s one thing to root for your “student” athletes being better than someone else’s. Quite another to get all exited about your minor league team being better than someone else’s. I don’t see what would differentiate it from any other minor league.

Of course there are SEC football fans and Tar Hole and Dook fans and the like that seem to need constant reassurance that they really are better than everyone else so I guess there’s no telling.

In other college football news, the College Football Playoff and ESPN agreed to a media rights extension starting in 2026-27 through 2031-32 worth $7.8 billion. They’re also expanding their package for the next 2 years, the final years of the existing 12 year deal signed in 2015, that encompasses the expanded field.

I suspect fans will lose interest. What’s the difference between college and a minor league. They’ll need to have a union to make it even effective as a league.

It’s one thing to root for your “student” athletes being better than someone else’s. Quite another to get all exited about your minor league team being better than someone else’s. I don’t see what would differentiate it from any other minor league.

Of course there are SEC football fans and Tar Hole and Dook fans and the like that seem to need constant reassurance that they really are better than everyone else so I guess there’s no telling.
The revenue sports are basically minor leagues now. The only difference is the players aren't employees and don't benefit from labor law protections. The more I think about it, the real fantasyland stuff in college sports has been the period between when the NCAA ran out gambling (mostly) in the 50s and now. That was all some sort of suspended reality where market forces, common sense and American labor laws just magically never applied to thousands and thousands of young people just because their job was "athlete."

The revenue sports are basically minor leagues now. The only difference is the players aren't employees and don't benefit from labor law protections.
Yet.

The NLRB recognition of the Dartmouth men’s basketball team as employees is just the beginning. They voted 13-2 to unionize. The School has said they won’t work with the union, so there will probably be an unfair labor practices charge coming soon.

Yeah, I've seen that and it's the first of many labor challenges coming if the NCAA doesn't big boy up and make some major structural changes. And for those mourning, there's never been anything about the NCAA that deserves conserving. It's been corrupt and flawed from day one.

The revenue sports are basically minor leagues now. The only difference is the players aren't employees and don't benefit from labor law protections. The more I think about it, the real fantasyland stuff in college sports has been the period between when the NCAA ran out gambling (mostly) in the 50s and now. That was all some sort of suspended reality where market forces, common sense and American labor laws just magically never applied to thousands and thousands of young people just because their job was "athlete."
Not surprisingly, the 50s was when the NCAA concocted the term “student-athlete,” which is now part of their bedrock gospel, specifically to counter the notion that the players were employees. The NCAA’s whole scheme has been on borrowed time for decades, and they’ve known it all along.

As someone who works for a university - D1 athletics can die a painful death. It's always just been a money factory. At lower levels it helps some with organization, but our local conference is all we need.

When certain teams have entire educational programs that were basically fabricated and the NCAA looked the other way, at least then i knew it was all out in the open.

Back