• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 NHL Entry Draft

Injuries should be covered by insurance, and wouldn't count against the cap, like right now, but it's also stupid to bury healthy players on career injuries just to get them off the cap. However players getting fair market value earlier in their career would also make up for it quite a bit and would be a big incentive for the PA.

Players want it both ways with no risk, and they have no risk for long term deals

Thats my point about flexibility , if you stink with 4 years left a team should have a provision to opt out

Thats what they should of got in this CBA , may a one time out every 2 years .

A one year contract is ideal , you know what your worth but the union will never go for it

I think it should be shared responsibility between teams and players. Teams should be able to buyout players at reduced cost and cap hit.

well, it is no ? Teams can terminate contracts with buyouts...

Unlike baseball, where i think you are stuck with the contract forever

NFL owners have it best....

The system is flexible and very manageable unlike hockey

The only reason teams stink for a decade is piss poor management

Contracts are not fully guaranteed , the draft produces instant starting cheaper labour for 4 years

Tons of cap hit options , cutting loose players for underperforming, etc....

A massive revenue stream that pays your cap with network revenue alone , its fair for everyone

I think it should be shared responsibility between teams and players. Teams should be able to buyout players at reduced cost and cap hit.

Bingo , there is no responsibility on the player .

There should be minimal buyout options after say 5 years on an 8 year deal

well, it is no ? Teams can terminate contracts with buyouts...

Unlike baseball, where i think you are stuck with the contract forever

Baseball has no cap or floor and you have your players by the nuts for 6 years

Most of the ok to barely good players are trapped til they are near 30 under the current CBA and hope to get one decent payday by then

Owners have total flexibility , you manage your business anyway you want

You can be a cheap money ball Oakland or blow your Yankee brains out

NBA sucks

Why ....other than superstars stars running the league :geek:

But they have total flexibility

4 year ELC and standard player contracts are 4 years

Tons of cap space available every year , you can manage and structure your business

I don't know enough about the CBA to be honest, I just don't like the product. A couple of mega-teams contenders each year and a bunch of bottom feeders. There is almost no interest until the semi-finals.

Yup. It's why the NBA has no appeal for me until the finals.

For almost a decade straight, LeBron James's team was in the Championship game... And everyone knew in September that was going to be the case.

Everyone also knew that for three straight years, it was going to be Golden State - Cleveland in the finals.

So why in the hell should I watch anything before those two play?

Yup. It's why the NBA has no appeal for me until the finals.

For almost a decade straight, LeBron James's team was in the Championship game... And everyone knew in September that was going to be the case.

Everyone also knew that for three straight years, it was going to be Golden State - Cleveland in the finals.

So why in the hell should I watch anything before those two play?

Its always been a superstar driven league , only issue is now its a yearly sitcom shit show how free agency is handled

A stud is on the floor 90% of the time and handles the ball much of the time , they control the game

Image CMD on the ice 55 minutes a night and no one hand take the puck off him

NBA is about individual skill , will never change

Basketball is probably the only sport where 1 or 2 players can make the difference just by themselves. The roster is small enough and top players play most of the minutes (unlike hockey, baseball, football).

There's a reason Lebron made the Finals 8 straight years....there's a reason Jordan won 6 titles in 8 years, there's a reason Bird-Magic dominated the 80's....having the top players almost always guarantees success. Unlike hockey, where having McDavid doesn't even guarantee a playoff appearance, Lemieux only won 2 Cups, Gretzky made 1 Finals with Kings, Ovy has only 1 Cup, Crosby went 9-10 years between titles.

Same in baseball (ask Mike Trout).....same in football....ask Marino, ask Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers...stellar careers, but you were left wondering why they didn't win more

basketball is a team sport

if you dont have a top tier stud your going nowhere in the NBA

You need Jesus plus 1 or 2 star type disciples , plus serviceable bench pieces and play D

3 stars carry your team unlike any other sport

Cleveland wins 60 with Bron , he leaves they win 20 and win the top pick in Irving

You take the Greek freak away from Milwaukee they are a 30 win team

The stud not only carries the franchise but dictates he value of the franchise

Love how people always forget about defense.

Basketball is a team sport and like any other sport they have their elite players. LeBron can score and defend but let's see him defend 5 guys alone.

It's a team game.

Back