• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2020 NHL Entry Draft

Probably banking on finding another Romanov or two:

The 5-foot-11, 185-pounder was ranked No. 115 among European skaters by NHL Central Scouting, but the Canadiens obviously had him ranked a lot higher.

Not sure if anyone listened to McGuire’s segment on TSN690 this afternoon...mentioned emphatically Habs org has been extremely thorough leading up to this draft and potentially setting themselves up for the next 7-10 years with their picks - not sure what that means exactly.

Also mentioned he’s hearing at least 3-top end players may slide downwards to where the Habs pick due to a few teams changing focus to European prospects - again no mention of who. Can only assume he’s implying another Caufield situation (he alluded prior to the draft last year Caufield was going to fall based on what he had heard leading up to draft day)

He's mentioned this several times in other shows. He thinks the 2nd-middle rounds are loaded with character players, that a team could potentially load up on.

When asked whether the playoff experience his team acquired this year was worth dropping seven spots in the draft to the No. 16 pick overall, Bergevin said he thought there was a good chance the player they would have picked at No. 9 will still be there when the Canadiens are called to the virtual stage. He said this after speaking to Trevor Timmins recently, so he wasn’t just saying that.

If indeed there is a player Timmins is enamoured with that is available at No. 16, then surely the Canadiens will keep the pick. There are players that fall to the No. 16 range every year. The Canadiens got a consensus top-10 prospect in Cole Caufield at No. 15 last year, but he was followed by Alex Newhook at No. 16 and Peyton Krebs at No. 17. All three of them were arguably top-10 talents.

But if the draft doesn’t fall the way Timmins anticipated and his guy is not there at No. 16, then maybe that opens a door to a trade on draft day.

Good read with quotes from Bergevin about players we’ve been discussing.

Time to pounce: How the Canadiens can capitalize on an unprecedented offseason
https://theathletic.com/2020068/202...edented-offseason/?source=user_shared_article

McGuire said yesterday he’s been told by management & scouts that there are 2-3 high end players who will likely be available at 16th OA because a few teams are planning on drafting lesser known Euros - as I posted above I suspect Caufield situation may repeat itself, smaller skilled forwards who’ve been projected to go top-10 May drop like Caufield

If the Habs in some miraculous way could pull of another Cole...as in Profetti...

McGuire also went out of his way to emphasize how detailed & thorough the Habs org has been leading up to this draft..

McGuire said yesterday he’s been told by management & scouts that there are 2-3 high end players who will likely be available at 16th OA because a few teams are planning on drafting lesser known Euros - as I posted above I suspect Caufield situation may repeat itself, smaller skilled forwards who’ve been projected to go top-10 May drop like Caufield

If the Habs in some miraculous way could pull of another Cole...as in Profetti...

McGuire also went out of his way to emphasize how detailed & thorough the Habs org has been leading up to this draft..

i don’t see Perfetti being there but I am excited at the thought of getting a bery good prospect there

Yup , we fked up

A stud top 10 draft where we were a lock to land 1 .

Now it Bourque for me

Seth Jarvis wont be there but your Askarov might
I like Jarvis.

I really like Askarov too.

If Askarov is available at 16 (which I doubt) it would be great to trade Price to Colorado for help. They're deep. Take back Grubauer and a solid prospect.

I like Jarvis.

I really like Askarov too.

If Askarov is available at 16 (which I doubt) it would be great to trade Price to Colorado for help. They're deep. Take back Grubauer and a solid prospect.

Colorado would be nuts not to go all in on Price or a higher caliber goalie while they have these great value contracts

What's interesting about this draft is that some European clubs have started their new season and we can get a +1 draft year look at some of the players like Askarov and Rodion Amirov in the KHL.

Same with CHL I would think - for example Dawson Mercer and Hendrix Lapierre never played with each other last year in Chicoutimi, doesn’t Q start in early Oct?

Back