• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Another Health/Diet Thread

Preston

Adrienne is a great place to start. Most of her videos are very very easy, almost too easy really. But as a starting point I recommend it.

I recently got into problems with stretching certain muscles that instead need to be shortened/strengthened. It has made some of my imbalance issues way worse and ****ed me up real good. Proximal hamstring tendinopathy is not fun. Been battling some bursitis/tendonitis issues since January. The pain/issues have transferred to multiple areas including my hip, glute, and now hamstring. Forget what it's like to be pain free.

So just be careful and conscious of muscle groups you should be strengthening as opposed to stretching excessively. For me, my abs, hamstring and glutes have not been firing in quite some time so I desperately need to strengthen them. Stretching my hammy and glutes only made shit worse. Strengthening them is almost impossible at this point because of the pain I'm in. It's a vicious cycle that even some medical professionals that I've seen are puzzled on how to rectify. The last two times I ramped up my exercise routine on some of those weaker muscle groups I woke up unable to get out of bed.

Long story short, if you start strength training, be careful about creating muscular imbalances. That shit is not easy to fix and can cause chronic issues in the longterm.

Habsy

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire
Yoga is no joke man. Mad respect for the advanced yoga exercisers. Easy to injure so be careful.

GEEMAN

Well, since we're in the middle of the dead portion of the off-season, I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

The diet routine I started back in the fall has been pretty successful. As far as weight loss goes, I've reached my original goal and then maintained it for a couple of months. Going forward, I'm probably going to gradually trim off another 10-15 pounds, and then I should be at my ideal weight and done with the weight-loss portion of things.

Now I'm switching gears a bit and looking to mix in some workouts. That said, I don't even lift, brah, and I don't have any interest at this point in fitting regular visits to the gym into my schedule. The exercise I have been doing up to this point is mainly going on regular long walks & hikes with the dog. But what I'd like to do to begin with is get in the habit of doing a workout in the morning. Just simple stuff that I can do without equipment that'll be beneficial for my core, back & upper body strength.

So, any thoughts on the value of old-school mainstays like chin-ups, sit-ups & push-ups? And are there any other exercises people can recommend?
I have set of resistance bands that I workout 4 days a week in my home even with my 5 day a week gym , mainly cardio though .

They are excellent for a full body strength training for a 15 minute routine

axlsalinger

Been meaning to do a deep dive into yoga for a few years now. I'll check out that channel and see if I can get into it. I've been fully sold on the benefits for a while, just need to figure out where to start and how to get into a routine where I can keep doing it on at least a semi-regular basis.

By the way, anyone interested in mindfulness I fully endorse binaural beats. Karmic Beats YouTube channel has some great stuff. Get relaxed and use headphones.

LeafGm

Adrienne is a great place to start. Most of her videos are very very easy, almost too easy really. But as a starting point I recommend it.

I recently got into problems with stretching certain muscles that instead need to be shortened/strengthened. It has made some of my imbalance issues way worse and ****ed me up real good. Proximal hamstring tendinopathy is not fun. Been battling some bursitis/tendonitis issues since January. The pain/issues have transferred to multiple areas including my hip, glute, and now hamstring. Forget what it's like to be pain free.

So just be careful and conscious of muscle groups you should be strengthening as opposed to stretching excessively. For me, my abs, hamstring and glutes have not been firing in quite some time so I desperately need to strengthen them. Stretching my hammy and glutes only made shit worse. Strengthening them is almost impossible at this point because of the pain I'm in. It's a vicious cycle that even some medical professionals that I've seen are puzzled on how to rectify. The last two times I ramped up my exercise routine on some of those weaker muscle groups I woke up unable to get out of bed.

Long story short, if you start strength training, be careful about creating muscular imbalances. That shit is not easy to fix and can cause chronic issues in the longterm.
This sort of gives me pause when it comes to trying out Yoga.

I'm fortunate in that I'm a dude in his mid-30's that doesn't, at this moment, have any problems with his body that need to be fixed. No chronic pain, no illnesses, no problem muscle or joint issues. This in spite of the fact that I was somewhat of a lazy slob for most of the first half of my 30's up until the last 10-11 months.

So, I kind of want to just keep things that way as best as I can. So if Yoga has the potential to **** me all up if done improperly...I dunno. Maybe that idea goes on the back-burner.

Wayward DP

yeah you should be good with yoga.

it sounds like preston's issues came from not working out complementary muscle groups when he was younger.

if you're looking for a morning workout of sorts yoga would be good, or some kind of easy calisthenics type thing. if you have a chin up bar, maybe a couple resistance bands, that's all the equipment you really need. when I was in university I had a little circuit I would do maybe three-four times a week; some combination of pull ups, push ups, and then four or five different ab exercises. would do three sets with a short break between each. you can go with something as simple as that, or something more involved. I'm a big proponent of body weight and resistance training too

anne25

If done properly yoga is a safe and beneficial form of exercise for all ages. If you are concerned about injury try taking a six week beginner course at a local community centre or private studio. Whatever don’t rush through the beginner stage just because it seems too easy.

Preston

This sort of gives me pause when it comes to trying out Yoga.

I'm fortunate in that I'm a dude in his mid-30's that doesn't, at this moment, have any problems with his body that need to be fixed. No chronic pain, no illnesses, no problem muscle or joint issues. This in spite of the fact that I was somewhat of a lazy slob for most of the first half of my 30's up until the last 10-11 months.

So, I kind of want to just keep things that way as best as I can. So if Yoga has the potential to **** me all up if done improperly...I dunno. Maybe that idea goes on the back-burner.
One of the purposes of yoga is to work out otherwise rarely used muscle groups and more importantly, to do it in a nice balanced way.

I played hockey since I was 4 and basically did nothing else physical in my life. I'm 30 now. Eventually it caught up to me. Hockey is brutal on the body of you to supplement it with other things. And recently I was told that I probably should never play hockey again. That's how badly I ****ed myself up.

Eventually what happened was my stronger (right) hip and quads were taking on the load that my glutes, abs and hamstrings should have been helping with. My hip could no longer take it and my glutes hammies and abs weren't firing and became incredibly weak. Meanwhile my quads are literal brick walls of muscle. So now I'm completely out of balance. To a smaller extent, this is similar to what kawhi is going through with his chronic tendinosis in the knee.

You know what could have prevented this for me? Yoga.

Last edited:

Hoss

I've always been flexible, but I have massive upper back pain that is stress induced... almost debilitating, so Yoga and focused stretching has always been a part of my routine. I've recently been going to Thai Massage, which stretches you as part of the massage, and it has been great.

The stress thing has come because my mom has just been diagnosed with lymphoma and I've been going with her to chemo and stuff..... its unreal how that stress has me stretching for hours just to be able to walk out the door.

TimHorton

Sorry about your mom.

And yes yoga is a helper not a hurter, take it from an almost 40 year old who started about 7 years ago.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
I've always been flexible, but I have massive upper back pain that is stress induced... almost debilitating, so Yoga and focused stretching has always been a part of my routine. I've recently been going to Thai Massage, which stretches you as part of the massage, and it has been great.

The stress thing has come because my mom has just been diagnosed with lymphoma and I've been going with her to chemo and stuff..... its unreal how that stress has me stretching for hours just to be able to walk out the door.
Really sorry to hear this Hoss. Best of luck.

WellPlayed

Thinking about picking up a Concept 2 rower. Getting tired of being completely gassed during my limited sporting opportunities these days. Machine rowing seems to be the only (non-sport) cardio I actually enjoy, and seems to be pretty awesome full-body. It's a big chunk of change to drop for the home gym though. Any rowers or experience training on these? Worth it?

BeLeafer

resurrected
Thinking about picking up a Concept 2 rower. Getting tired of being completely gassed during my limited sporting opportunities these days. Machine rowing seems to be the only (non-sport) cardio I actually enjoy, and seems to be pretty awesome full-body. It's a big chunk of change to drop for the home gym though. Any rowers or experience training on these? Worth it?
I have one I bought about 15 years ago. It's still going strong. Only maintenance has been replacing a C battery for the display. It's excellent for HIIT, as you can totally monitor how hard you're going and your intervals. Also uses lots of muscle groups.

soco22

They are great. Also like rowing with water/air - find it a bit smoother, tho they breakdown faster.

Kritter

Does anyone here dabble with natural anti-inflammatories?

Tore the meniscus in my right new 4 years ago... surgery.... either didn't heal properly or the surgery wasnt done right... not debilitating but problematic.. (on list for a scope... up to 2 year wait) anyways....
been told i might have, maybe, developed an arthritic condition in that knee...
Also, after 4 years of compensating for the right knee, the left knee is now starting to pain (also had back and heal issues in the last 2-3 year due to compensating for the injury)
Also doesn't help being on the wrong side of 50 lol

I know someone that is on celebrex but after reading up on how hard it is on your kidneys and liver.. no thank you.
not a big fan of any of those laboratory produced anti-inflammatories.

i have read up on a lot of the natural ones...
Anyone here use, is on a regimen ?