• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

I expect that they'll keep optimistically making plans to come back this year.

I have no doubt that there's no shortage of Republicans or Trump supporters among team owners and league front offices that are hoping against all objective reality that everything's going to go A-OK in the States re-opening. But those plans will keep falling by the wayside as we get closer and closer to June and July, with the virus still not anywhere close to being "under control" in the United States.

The other problem is that these leagues need testing to get to the point where it's widespread, reliable and available enough that it won't be a public relations disaster for them to be soaking up the thousands upon thousands of tests they'll need in order to keep operating safely.

So there’s talk the NBA may come back including playoffs in July, haven’t heard about NHL but perhaps they would do something similar. Would be great to see the playoffs after the long break.

Leafs and Raps both win it all.
Advantage NBA has is it's really a summer sport that happens to play in winter. The Ice would be so bad in July. That said, I say both sports finish the season in summer.

Pro Sports were a lot fun.

They had a good run. Nothing lasts forever. I will miss them.

MLB 1871-2020
NHL 1917-2020
NFL 1920-2020
NBA 1946-2020

I think they are.

The NBA wants to do it in Vegas, and after seeing their mayor speak, yes, it can happen. And NHl will be forced to play if NBa does.

She doesn't actually even have any jurisdiction over the Strip. The county commissioner denounced her comments.

I expect that they'll keep optimistically making plans to come back this year.

I have no doubt that there's no shortage of Republicans or Trump supporters among team owners and league front offices that are hoping against all objective reality that everything's going to go A-OK in the States re-opening. But those plans will keep falling by the wayside as we get closer and closer to June and July, with the virus still not anywhere close to being "under control" in the United States.

The other problem is that these leagues need testing to get to the point where it's widespread, reliable and available enough that it won't be a public relations disaster for them to be soaking up the thousands upon thousands of tests they'll need in order to keep operating safely.

Yeah, my thoughts too... have a hard time not seeing 150,000 deaths by July.

MLB 1871-2020
NHL 1917-2020
NFL 1920-2020
NBA 1946-2020
Leafs would have totally won the cup this year too and you literally can't prove me wrong.

Leafs would have totally won the cup this year too and you literally can't prove me wrong.

Meh. Raptors were gonna win 5 more chips in a row. I just ordered my custom Giannis Raptor jersey to prove it.

Meh. Raptors were gonna win 5 more chips in a row. I just ordered my custom Giannis Raptor jersey to prove it.
Undoubtedly. I'm going to spend my last few years on earth bragging about the leafs and raptors "would have won" chips until the virus eventually kills us all off as a vaccine proves to be ineffective.

MLB 1871-2020
NHL 1917-2020
NFL 1920-2020
NBA 1946-2020

It's funny, I think back to being a Leaf fan in 2016/17. We had a trio of home-grown, emerging superstars. Every decision our management made was coming up roses, and it was looking like we were going to fast-forward through the rebuild to being a long-term contender the likes of which most living fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't ever experienced.

Honestly, for any long-time battered Leaf fan, things were going almost uncomfortably well. Suspiciously well.

So if you'd told me back then that this new-era version of the Leafs would get knocked out in the first round three times in a row (including two more game seven losses in Boston), and following that a global pandemic would essentially end pro sports...that would've sounded about right.

We'll always have the Hall of Fames to visit. If Kawhi makes it in, I wonder if he'll go in as a Raptor

Let's not forget after 9/11 no one was going to fly again. This fear will last a few months and then people will move on.

Really they just need to figure out a way to get players to play without contracting the virus. May be mandatory shields, hazmat suits, whatever

Really they just need to figure out a way to get players to play without contracting the virus. May be mandatory shields, hazmat suits, whatever

Just play 3 on 3 hockey from the opening face-off. 3 on 3 has no contact between players, and attracts very little love from fans. So kills both problems with one stone.

So a bunch of Leipsic group chat DMs were leaked. Pretty much exactly what you would expect from a hockey bro, but he goes after some teammates and former teammates too, even posts a pic of Tanner Pearson's wife and baby and calls her a fat pig.

Back