• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2020 Edition

Volcanologist

I'm not surprised that there's people on here who would defend the comments (always revealing though) but it seems rather simple that even if you can get past most of the misogyny and dismiss it as "locker room talk", at the end of the day this is a pretty marginal player who appears to be a pretty garbage teammate so it seems like an easy call.
same as why it's been way easier for them to throw the book at the non-star player with on ice player discipline

LeafGm

I'm not surprised that there's people on here who would defend the comments (always revealing though) but it seems rather simple that even if you can get past most of the misogyny and dismiss it as "locker room talk", at the end of the day this is a pretty marginal player who appears to be a pretty garbage teammate so it seems like an easy call.

Yeah, that’s what it comes down to.

Even without the misogyny, the fact that he’s a bottom-of-the-roster marginal player who’s been caught ripping his teammates and their family members makes this an easy call for the Caps.

IMO its telling that no one has his back. If Liepsic was a good person/teammate that just talked some shit in a private text message people would be coming to his defense.

Yep, this is also true.

Haven’t even heard a peep from anyone coming to the defense of this guy's character.

Combine that with him bouncing around to a different team in each of the past five years, and having been deemed expendable by six different NHL clubs already...

leaffan2005

Definitely have no issue with him being cut, but the reality is these conversations probably happen on a daily basis amongst a lot hockey players out there. Doesn't make it right, but the fact is this guy just got caught and he isn't a better or worse person than any of those other guys who will likely come out and talk about this. NHL players by and large are not great human beings.

Wayward DP

So, I haven't read much of the content. By all accounts it is misogynistic and offensive, I won't dispute that.

But, I think people should have an expectation of privacy regarding their personal electronic communications. I guess I think everyone has the right to be racist in private.

So regardless of my personal feelings about Leipsic and his group chat or whatever it was, I have a hard time with someone's career ending because of the content of private conversations (especially when I'm not sure the conversations reflect on his ability to do his job (admittedly poor to begin with) - they more just make him look like an *******. which he may be, but I'm not sure it's grounds for losing your livelihood).

And yeah, the points made earlier about him being a bottom of the roster guy etc do apply.

Wayward DP

Definitely have no issue with him being cut, but the reality is these conversations probably happen on a daily basis amongst a lot hockey players out there. Doesn't make it right, but the fact is this guy just got caught and he isn't a better or worse person than any of those other guys who will likely come out and talk about this. NHL players by and large are not great human beings.
I mostly agree with this - Leiper is just the guy who got caught.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
I'm sure these conversations happen more than we'd like... but even then most of them are "smart" enough to not do it electronically so it can be exposed.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
So, I haven't read much of the content. By all accounts it is misogynistic and offensive, I won't dispute that.

But, I think people should have an expectation of privacy regarding their personal electronic communications. I guess I think everyone has the right to be racist in private.

So regardless of my personal feelings about Leipsic and his group chat or whatever it was, I have a hard time with someone's career ending because of the content of private conversations (especially when I'm not sure the conversations reflect on his ability to do his job (admittedly poor to begin with) - they more just make him look like an *******. which he may be, but I'm not sure it's grounds for losing your livelihood).

And yeah, the points made earlier about him being a bottom of the roster guy etc do apply.
It's all value vs "risk." He brings nowhere near enough value for the Caps to "risk" the PR fiasco. Not to mention he insulted current teammates in those conversations.

The guy very possibly wouldn't have made the team anyway.

Preston

While not illegal it's fair to point out that he's a terrible human being that teams may not want to allow into their organization. Maybe several others are just as bad (they are, trust me), but others weren't exposed. I doubt that you'll find too many teams willing to bring in a borderline NHLer who has been outed as a dickfuck. And teams have the right to make that decision. If it ruins his career, so be it. I won't feel bad for any piece of shit human being.

hockeylover

I dunno about the "it's unfair for him to lose his job" stuff though.

There's lots of jobs where if you sent a bunch of messages about how much you loved coke, trashed your coworker's wives, and a shitload of other women bashing messages and it came to the public's attention, you'd be canned, especially if you weren't very good at your job to begin with.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member
Funny (not haha funny) that Kaepernick's career was ended while being better than borderline and doing something that was meant to help people.

Wayward DP

I dunno about the "it's unfair for him to lose his job" stuff though.

There's lots of jobs where if you sent a bunch of messages about how much you loved coke, trashed your coworker's wives, and a shitload of other women bashing messages and it came to the public's attention, you'd be canned, especially if you weren't very good at your job to begin with.
I mean, like I said, I'm not too torn up about it.

But I don't think an employer should be able to just can their employees because they find their personal views - which neither enter nor affect the workplace (an assumption here, admittedly) - offensive.

How about we flip the scenario - private group chat gets exposed where employee complains about their boss. Employee is a good employee, their personal feelings never seemed to have affected their performance or the work environment. Is it fair for them to lose their job?

Preston

How about we flip the scenario - private group chat gets exposed where employee complains about their boss. Employee is a good employee, their personal feelings never seemed to have affected their performance or the work environment. Is it fair for them to lose their job?
Honestly? If that happened at my work and someone said the things Leipsic said they would definitely be fired. It's fair in the eyes of the Employment Standards Act; the employee would have no legal recourse to appeal the decision.

Habspatrol

ADMINuteman
Staff member

But I don't think an employer should be able to just can their employees because they find their personal views - which neither enter nor affect the workplace (an assumption here, admittedly) - offensive.

Which bring us to a scenario where this is a 1st or 2nd line player. He likely escapes with an apology and some sensitivity training.

This guy is a borderline NHLer at best... aka one of the worst employees in the company.

hockeylover

If they called their boss a "fat native pig", talked about how much they love coke, said "oink oink" with a little pig emoji beside her picture, posted a picture of their boss and their mother and said "your daughter's a slut".... that would be the scenario flipped... and yes, it would be fair.

Wayward DP

If they called their boss a "fat native pig", talked about how much they love coke, said "oink oink" with a little pig emoji beside her picture, posted a picture of their boss and their mother and said "your daughter's a slut".... that would be the scenario flipped... and yes, it would be fair.
is your position that known misogynists should not be able to maintain employment?

hockeylover

is your position that known misogynists should not be able to maintain employment?
My position is that you are responsible for the things you say and do and if you make statements that go public and reflect poorly on your employer, you shouldn't be surprised when they fire you.