This top 5-7 is eliteFamous last words.
Chucky over Rielly (MB was reportedly high on Rielly but Timmins convinced him of Chucky)
Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk or Quinn Hughes isn't looking to good either.
could argue its more the teams ability to develop talent vs selecting talent that high up?1) Yes the Habs need several pieces
2) Are you really willing to gamble with Timmins/MB record in the first round? Like L101 said, hard to **** up a pick when Lafreniere is the #1. Nobody would blame any team for selecting him.
3) Perhaps he isn't head and shoulders ahead but Byfield could also regress, he's not as sure a thing but might have a bit higher ceiling. It is a bigger gamble than Lafreniere IMO.
4) Askarov may end up being the best player, or Rossi for that matter (but he kinda came out of nowhere)
5) Correct. French elite player in Montreal? They simply can't pass on him for the politics.
6) Why wouldn't you do it if he was younger?
They have to do what the leafs did and gut the development program and smartly put money into it (no reason to not be at least top 5 in spending) and then let the rebuilding/retooling begin. Get a top AHL coach, skill coaches, pay off some of the best amateur scouts, hire a competent GM (haha), etc etc... Leafs should really be a blueprint for them after our decade plus of doing what the Habs are now doing and seeing how we are developing NHL players almost an entire roster of homegrown players or using those home grown players to acquire other assets (ie Kadri).