• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

Kinda a shitty thing to do to Henrik to end his career as a Ranger.

Meh. It cuts both ways. Lundvist and the Rangers are each just looking out for their own best interests.

Lundqvist's current contract has paid him like an elite goalie for the last six years, but hasn't played like one for the last four seasons. He's also been below-average to bad for the past two, and the Rangers now have two other young goalies who are both much better than him.

Lundqvist could have acknowledged that reality and retired, and that would have saved the Rangers $8.5M in cap space and given the team a better chance to compete this year. But that would've meant walking away from $5.5M (or $4M if he was bought out), so he didn't.

Meh. It cuts both ways. Lundvist and the Rangers are each just looking out for their own best interests.

Lundqvist's current contract has paid him like an elite goalie for the last six years, but hasn't played like one for the last four seasons. He's also been below-average to bad for the past two, and the Rangers now have two other young goalies who are both much better than him.

Lundqvist could have acknowledged that reality and retired, and that would have saved the Rangers $8.5M in cap space and given the team a better chance to compete this year. But that would've meant walking away from $5.5M (or $4M if he was bought out), so he didn't.

You make the tough decisions in the best interest of the team . As long as you handle it professionally with the player it’s fine. He got paid handsomely in his career , he can still get a Ranger gig in some capacity if offered

30. Toronto Maple Leafs

Total: 5

Four of those five points have come in the last four seasons and the Maple Leafs are positioned to start piling up points in the coming years. It’s not a perfect roster but it’s way too talented and there are way too many smart people behind the scenes to believe it’s not going to work.

Total playoff years: 20, 19, 18, 17, 13

ouch.

at the same time remember they have to expose a goalie to Seattle.

True. But with the glut of goalies on the market, they’re not going to get great value for Georgie anyway if they try to trade him now.

So, why not give them both Russian goalies a test drive this coming season, and see which one they like better?

Then either live with the fact that they might lose one to Seattle, or trade one around the deadline.

True. But with the glut of goalies on the market, they’re not going to get great value for Georgie anyway if they try to trade him now.

So, why not give them both Russian goalies a test drive this coming season, and see which one they like better?

Then either live with the fact that they might lose one to Seattle, or trade one around the deadline.

well I think their choice will always be shesterkin, not georgiev. but they could always work out a trade with Seattle where they keep both.

Yep. Also:

Okay, now to the news. We start with one GM absolutely trashing all the rumours: “How much money do you think is out there?” Some business is getting done. If teams want to spend on someone, they will.

Teams with cash should be able to do well.

Yeah, there's going to be some ridiculous bargains out there. I keep seeing people mention 5 million for Khudobin and I keep wondering, from fucking who?
If you look at peoples estimates for players (tanev on a multi year deal at 4+) i wonder if they have lived on a different planet for the last 7 months.

Top end guys will get squeezed by 10% or more and bottom guys will get 50% of what they would have gotten.

If you look at peoples estimates for players (tanev on a multi year deal at 4+) i wonder if they have lived on a different planet for the last 7 months.

Top end guys will get squeezed by 10% or more and bottom guys will get 50% of what they would have gotten.

I think Zeke brings up part of an important point. There have been strange early deals, but obvious mistake contracts. There will be GM's (with money) that target the wrong players and overpay them, the way that there is every off season. There's just going to be less of them because the money simply isn't there even if the cap space is. When the teams with both money and cap space (Wings, Rangers, Bruins, Habs, Hawks) get their fill, there's going to be a lot of good players looking around wondering what the fuck just happened and why the phone stopped ringing.

Back