• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

Crawford's career was near the end anyways. He's used up all his chances.
I would have fired him after that February 1998 incident when he decided not to use Gretzky in the shootout.

Calgary. Edmonton. Vancouver.

All 3 are getting better goaltending for cheaper, and one of them has a kid in net that they think is a future stud

This one is possible.

You realize they're run by a stats nerd who is getting like .930 out of Kuemper and Raanta for dirt cheap, right?

To name a few.

You named one that had any sort of realism. I don't think you grasp how bad he's been, and thus, how poisonous that contract becomes, even if you eat a couple million of it. In the last 3 seasons, of goalies with a minimum of 3000 minutes, Carey is 34th in sv% (out of 50). If we even say that 3000 minutes isn't enough and move it to more of a true starter's workload (6000 minutes), Carey is 18th out of 23.

Let's even do him a real solid and scratch that .900 in the 3rd season of the last 3. 14th out of 30, tied with Jakob Markstrom (who Vancouver wants to replace with Carey in your estimation) and Rittich (ditto, Calgary).

Yeah, you might catch some old school GM napping who thinks analytics is something the fags do in the privacy of their own homes, but there isn't going to be a line up of functioning front offices that are interested in a bad goalie on a proper albatross of a contract. You're very, very likely stuck with him. You might, might find someone who will extract a medium sized boat load of value for them to take the contract off of your hands. But that's pretty much best case scenario.

All 3 are getting better goaltending for cheaper, and one of them has a kid in net that they think is a future stud

This one is possible.

You realize they're run by a stats nerd who is getting like .930 out of Kuemper and Raanta for dirt cheap, right?

You named one that had any sort of realism. I don't think you grasp how bad he's been, and thus, how poisonous that contract becomes, even if you eat a couple million of it. In the last 3 seasons, of goalies with a minimum of 3000 minutes, Carey is 34th in sv% (out of 50). If we even say that 3000 minutes isn't enough and move it to more of a true starter's workload (6000 minutes), Carey is 18th out of 23.

Let's even do him a real solid and scratch that .900 in the 3rd season of the last 3. 14th out of 30, tied with Jakob Markstrom (who Vancouver wants to replace with Carey in your estimation) and Rittich (ditto, Calgary).

Yeah, you might catch some old school GM napping who thinks analytics is something the fags do in the privacy of their own homes, but there isn't going to be a line up of functioning front offices that are interested in a bad goalie on a proper albatross of a contract. You're very, very likely stuck with him. You might, might find someone who will extract a medium sized boat load of value for them to take the contract off of your hands. But that's pretty much best case scenario.

Oh and they reportedly lose 50 million per year as per Forbes.

I’ll agree that Seattle is the best chance for a few reasons:

1) Price played at Tri-Cities and would likely waive for Seattle to be closer to his BC home.
2) Fleury proved what a “reclamation” goalie with experience can do and I think Seattle will feel some pressure to come out and be competitive after what Vegas did.
3) Name recognition. Price would be a great marketing prop. Provided he doesn’t continue to stink.

leaving the difference of opinion on bad goalie aside, that’s why you’d have to eat salary and I wondered how much.

full circle.

For anyone with a functioning analytics department, you can't eat enough salary for it to be worth it.

For someone without, you're probably looking at maybe being able to give him away if you ate 3.5 million. But you're going to need someone without a functioning analytics department, and without a decent, cheaper option.

I’ll agree that Seattle is the best chance for a few reasons:

1) Price played at Tri-Cities and would likely waive for Seattle to be closer to his BC home.
2) Fleury proved what a “reclamation” goalie with experience can do and I think Seattle will feel some pressure to come out and be competitive after what Vegas did.
3) Name recognition. Price would be a great marketing prop. Provided he doesn’t continue to stink.
Holtby and Quick would be so much cheaper

You don’t understand the value of PR and marketing to a new team.

Price can be moved.

I feel like it’s be pretty easy to market two cup winning goaltenders who played for significant US markets and one who played for the US Olympic Team in say, Seattle.

So spend money reminding people who these guys are so that they can hopefully sell more swag?

Price has been hyped his whole career, his name recognition would likely be much higher than Holtby and Quick. That’s money to a fledgling organization.

So spend money reminding people who these guys are so that they can hopefully sell more swag?

Price has been hyped his whole career, his name recognition would likely be much higher than Holtby and Quick. That’s money to a fledgling organization.

I don’t think hockey fans in Seattle would need to be reminded of who Holtby or Quick are? They both recently just won so everyone watched them. Casual hockey fans in the US haven’t seen Price in the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years...

The overrating of Price is amazing by Habsy. He's.not.good.anymore. No one is swallowing that deal without a major sweetener. Completely off the reservation with your assessment of the situation.

I agree with Habsy. I think Price has similar value to Seattle that Fleury did to Vegas. The contract is absolute shit but it might be edible to them in hitting the cap floor and marketing the “best goalie in the universe ever forever” playing for the new team.

I just don’t think either Price or Bergy allow it to happen. But if Bergy finally gets the firing he’s been busting his ass for years to earn, and a full sell-off of Habs begins, then maybe Price prefers playing for the expansion team close to home rather than the expansion team in Montreal which will still come with unrelenting media pressure and nonstop complaining about his contract.

Back