• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

I mean, if his career is over there’s really no real negative impact for you off the ice.

He just goes on LTIR forever, which comes with some headaches, but for the most part means that his cap hit disappears.

And maybe Weber being done might shake Bergevin out of this “win now for Price and Weber” delusion.

What are you saying...

It’s even more important to win now for Price.

Because remember, the overriding concern here is to win now for Bergy.

Yeah, you would have been stuck with whatever retention you had negotiated.

Too bad for Weber. I was definitely interested in adding him but definitely stressed that we shouldn't give up much of **** all for him. Taking him as a salary dump probably would have been worth the risk though.

Not sure this result is better.

Would it have been better for Kessel to just have been injured forever or that we got Kapanen and Andersen and whatever else?

Habs could’ve lived with a little retention if they got back a couple of nice building blocks.

He was proving himself still pretty dominant and ageless. The term on that deal is scary for the reasons now more evident than ever, but some team would’ve given up a couple of nice pieces. Honestly even I was warming up to it, and I was one of the biggest critics.

He was proving himself still pretty dominant and ageless. The term on that deal is scary for the reasons now more evident than ever, but some team would’ve given up a couple of nice pieces. Honestly even I was warming up to it, and I was one of the biggest critics.

Yeah, as long as he could still play, the term actually started to improve. Sure, the cap hit was still high, but the dollar amounts dropped to be closer to market value. Especially if someone could have gotten the Habs to eat, say, 25%, then you're talking about a 4.5M D on a 5.85M cap hit. Not as much for you guys who are pushing the cap, but especially for a team that cared more about money than cap space, the fact that despite his previous injuries he could still play a solid game.

Now, the problem with older guys with an injury history is what happened here - longer-term effects of the previous injuries.

Yeah, as long as he could still play, the term actually started to improve. Sure, the cap hit was still high, but the dollar amounts dropped to be closer to market value. Especially if someone could have gotten the Habs to eat, say, 25%, then you're talking about a 4.5M D on a 5.85M cap hit. Not as much for you guys who are pushing the cap, but especially for a team that cared more about money than cap space, the fact that despite his previous injuries he could still play a solid game.

Now, the problem with older guys with an injury history is what happened here - longer-term effects of the previous injuries.

Yep.

What's going on with Weber should give some pause to those of us on this board who've recently been suggesting the Leafs should toss a big package of assets at San Jose in exchange for Erik Karlsson.

What's going on with Weber should give some pause to those of us on this board who've recently been suggesting the Leafs should toss a big package of assets at San Jose in exchange for Erik Karlsson.

Sorry, was this a thing? Unless SJ was willing to eat 50% of that bloated contract - because it's up there as one of the worst contracts on any teams books right now.

Yep.

The lesson being that any guy we trade for might have a career ending injury and end up on ltir?

Sorry, was this a thing? Unless SJ was willing to eat 50% of that bloated contract - because it's up there as one of the worst contracts on any teams books right now.

Yeah, a couple of people around here were suggesting the idea within the last week.

The lesson being that any guy we trade for might have a career ending injury and end up on ltir?

Sure, it could happen to any player. But I was thinking moreso that the odds are exponentially higher for a player in their 30's with a ton of minutes/hard miles on their body, and a history of some pretty serious injuries and surgeries.

And Karlsson, with his slap-chopped achilles tendon and ankle that had its' bones replaced with bubblegum and elastic bands sure fits that description.

LTIR isn't the worst case scenario for these guys either. The worst case scenario is that they're healthy enough and willing enough to continue playing, but their age, diminished play and cap hit murders your chances of fielding a contending team and makes them next-to-impossible to trade.

I don’t think Weber’s career is over. Kipper is full of it often. Out for the season is likely though. Time to blow it up Bergevin.

Back