• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

I am still hopeful that the curve is significantly flattened by the end of April, so June is still a possibility. Though it's definitely way too early to even consider making any decisions. But it makes sense to be looking at options.

a plan backed by federal health officials

It'll be interesting to hear this, and will also largely depend on who these officials are.

I am still hopeful that the curve is significantly flattened by the end of April, so June is still a possibility. Though it's definitely way too early to even consider making any decisions. But it makes sense to be looking at options.

It'll be interesting to hear this, and will also largely depend on who these officials are.

The end of April is when some areas in the states are predicting their peak.

I'm guessing they are looking at WWE which just had Wrestlemania, and UFC, which is going ahead with 249. Lots more people involved for the big 4, but maybe playing in a biodome in New Hamshire is safe enough.

They would need to have a lot of testing capacity though. And insurance that likely doesn't exist.

They are probably worried about what they would have to pay back in TV deals.

OK so Darren Dreger is claiming the cap will drop 30% next year. Anyone wanna guess why he's coming up with this theory? He'll get a ton of attention because of the Leafs.
Owners, Gms, p;layers will never accept a 30% drop in cap. What a joke.

Well it's not like he's the first to pontificate on how much the cap could drop. I'm not sure what it has to do with the Leafs (as opposed to the entire league.)

It will be interesting to see what happens. Players will have to take a hair cut. I'm not really an owner "apologist" but I don't see why the owners would have to take the entire hit.

Well it's not like he's the first to pontificate on how much the cap could drop. I'm not sure what it has to do with the Leafs (as opposed to the entire league.)

It's a crazy high # and he'll get Leaf fans and haters excited. This will be his offersheets for 2020.

Even a broke ass team like the Coyotees are up against the cap. 30% is the ultimate hot take to get headlines. But it's absolutely impossible.

Wait... I thought that said 3%. 30%? Holy shit lmao. Okay this isn't an anti-leafs thing I don't think.. More just an anti-brain thing.

Obviously they'll agree to some sort of escalator, where the league cap stays the same as this year, but players end up putting like 40% of their salary in escrow. So players may end up getting 70% of their salary, but they're not going to destroy the cap number for this.

Obviously they'll agree to some sort of escalator, where the league cap stays the same as this year, but players end up putting like 40% of their salary in escrow. So players may end up getting 70% of their salary, but they're not going to destroy the cap number for this.
Thank you for saving me the keystrokes. This is exactly what they'll have to do.

An option would be to prorate the salaries based on how many games they schedule.

Back