• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2023 Edition

Quick question here before I go back to lurking: If the Leafs won the lottery, would you trade the 1st pick to Ottawa for pick 3 and 5?

I would in a heartbeat if it were the Leafs. The Habs I would not for obvious reasons.

The Leafs could easily get two studs like Drysdale and Perfetti or Stuetzle at 3 & 5.

Quick question here before I go back to lurking: If the Leafs won the lottery, would you trade the 1st pick to Ottawa for pick 3 and 5?

i was going to say the sens would never do that....but melnyk

yes the leafs should do that for sure

I would in a heartbeat if it were the Leafs. The Habs I would not for obvious reasons.

The Leafs could easily get two studs like Drysdale and Perfetti or Stuetzle at 3 & 5.

habs should do it even more than the leafs

habs should do it even more than the leafs
Passing up on an elite Francophone player at #1 is suicide in Montreal. I think you know that.

Plus Ottawa needs 3 & 5 more than both Montreal or Toronto.

That said a combination of Drysdale and Perfetti or Stuetzle would be pretty sweet.

I don’t know enough about this specific draft class to give an informed answer. I haven’t really paid any attention to any of the top prospects, since I never imagined the Leafs might have a shot at them.

Generally speaking though...I’m not a fan of “quality for quantity” trades until you get far enough down the draft order for it to not really matter much (like the latter stages of the first round, or lower).

I don’t know enough about this specific draft class to give an informed answer. I haven’t really paid any attention to any of the top prospects, since I never imagined the Leafs might have a shot at them.

Generally speaking though...I’m not a fan of “quality for quantity” trades until you get far enough down the draft order for it to not really matter much (like the latter stages of the first round, or lower).

The way I see it (from reading articles and watching clips obviously) you have four echelons in the top 10.

Echelon 1:

Lafreniere - He is the most NHL ready and looks to have similar abilities to Huberdeau. Expecting him to get there in 3-4 years is not a stretch by any means.

Echelon 2:

Byfield - For sure going to LA if Lafreniere goes #1.
Stuetzle - Skating and talent. Complete package although played in Germany.
Drysdale - Easily the best D man in the draft and projected #1 D.

Echelon 3:

Perfetti
Rossi
Raymond
Sanderson

Echelon 4 on is everyone else all the way down.

So if you can snag Stuetzle and Drysdale at 3 & 5 I think it would be better for the Leafs. The issue is that Detroit has #4 and will likely take Stuetzle if he is still there (they already drafted Moritz Seider from Germany) or Drysdale at 4.

Yeah, it is just that my Ottawa Stan - who has been following the draft, who also loves the depth of this draft - said that he would trade the pick. But I don't think there is a big drop off from Lefreniere to a Byfield and Dysdale as there was from Matthews to Laine. Ottawa wants Star Power, but the Leafs already have it, so if you can get your next "2nd Line Centre" and a top pairing Dman.... Seems interesting.

Yeah, it is just that my Ottawa Stan - who has been following the draft, who also loves the depth of this draft - said that he would trade the pick. But I don't think there is a big drop off from Lefreniere to a Byfield and Dysdale as there was from Matthews to Laine. Ottawa wants Star Power, but the Leafs already have it, so if you can get your next "2nd Line Centre" and a top pairing Dman.... Seems interesting.
Again, the issue is that I do not see how the Leafs can get Byfield should they win and trade the top pick. You're looking at either Lafreniere at 1 or two players other than Byfield at 3 & 5.

Or the Leafs can get really bold and take Stuetzle at 3 and Askarov at 5. That kid is going to be a stud NHL goalie.

The way I see it (from reading articles and watching clips obviously) you have four echelons in the top 10.

Echelon 1:

Lafreniere - He is the most NHL ready and looks to have similar abilities to Huberdeau. Expecting him to get there in 3-4 years is not a stretch by any means.

Echelon 2:

Byfield - For sure going to LA if Lafreniere goes #1.
Stuetzle - Skating and talent. Complete package although played in Germany.
Drysdale - Easily the best D man in the draft and projected #1 D.

Echelon 3:

Perfetti
Rossi
Raymond
Sanderson

Echelon 4 on is everyone else all the way down.

So if you can snag Stuetzle and Drysdale at 3 & 5 I think it would be better for the Leafs. The issue is that Detroit has #4 and will likely take Stuetzle if he is still there (they already drafted Moritz Seider from Germany) or Drysdale at 4.

If this is an accurate assessment of things, then I’d keep the #1 pick even if I was offered #3 & #5 for it.

Quality > quantity.

If this is an accurate assessment of things, then I’d keep the #1 pick even if I was offered #3 & #5 for it.

Quality > quantity.

Plus the Leafs are deep down the middle and can use another stud LW along with Robertson.

I could see a team taking Byfield at 1. He was just as good as Lafreniere at 17 and is a center.

Trading down from 1 to 3 only makes sense if you believe Stutzle is a star. Which he might be. Or that LA is going to take him.

I would trade the pick in a second , Leafs have a chance to set themselves up for another 5 years with 2 top talents

Any 2 of Byfield , Stuzle , Drysdale plus you can probably squeeze Dorion`s balls for more .............DONE

A better skating with probably better hands Kopitar , a Panarin type skill set or the next Quinn Hughes with better D skills is greater than one Lafreniere .

He is no Sid or CMD

I could see a team taking Byfield at 1. He was just as good as Lafreniere at 17 and is a center.

Trading down from 1 to 3 only makes sense if you believe Stutzle is a star. Which he might be. Or that LA is going to take him.

totally agreed Leafman

Passing up on an elite Francophone player at #1 is suicide in Montreal. I think you know that.

Plus Ottawa needs 3 & 5 more than both Montreal or Toronto.

That said a combination of Drysdale and Perfetti or Stuetzle would be pretty sweet.

i dont need them to have that

I just don't see a team taking him over Lafreniere.
Out of curiosity, what team?

Chicago? NYR? Who do you think would take Byfield over Lafreniere because it won't be Toronto. You're deep down the middle and would take Lafreniere in a heartbeat.

Back