• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Leafs being posterboys for being in cap hell is funny. 16 of 31 teams are within 500K of the cap max. Leafs have 0 contrcats they can't move unlike everyone else.
that was for DK but the point was if they were not in cap hell they could have just kept marleau instead of giving up a first

What could he have done better? He did not sign that deal, Lou did. It was a terrible contract he was stuck with.

BTW, you may want to check what Nick Robertson is doing. brilliant 2nd round pick that's looking like a 1st rounder.
When teams start to contend they do move 1st rounders. It happens.

You're acting like that 1st rounder will be very high.

Get ready, because Leafs will be trading more 1st rounders.

Please ... you didn't need to dump a first to offload that contract . There was no term and minimal cash involved on an
expiring contract

If you were going to involve a first sweeten the pot and get Pesce to help out on D . Make it bigger and make the numbers work and fill a need

Then you dumped a gold Kadri contract . A 30 gaol # 2 C with 3 years left and all you get back is a misfit D who walks in June and a third liner in Kerfoot , that's a terrible deal .

Kadri should of got a Pacioretty type return with a top prospect in return .

Marner and Matthews deals needed to be 7 years to justify their salary .

You paid 34 nearly CMD money and only bought 1 years of UFA

Willy`s contract is fine but the nonsense leading up to a holdout where he was going to get what he got was an exercise in futility

Drafting and developing is top notch , but he was no genius how the rest as handled

But who do they lose? Is a late 1st really as important to them as you think it is?

1st rounders are valuable assets, be it for rentals or acquisitions such as Hall etc they are often the starting point.

If Dubas has his eye on a very much coveted UFA rental or another Muzzin type deal he may not be in the game if he doesn't have that asset.

Regardless, each and every NHL team put heavy emphasis on drafting and player development now....good prospects are key, having your 1st rounders and even accumulating extra ones is huge, could get you another Sandin or Robertson ;)

Leafs are not making trades for prospects and keeping 1st rounders. They are not rebuilding.

So your saying a Suzuki caliber player to give you 3 cheap ELC years and ready to play plus a serviceable top 9 is a weaker return than
a useless Barrie and Kerfoot

My point is you dumped an expiring contract , a first , Brown , Kadri , etc and didn't fix a need

Last edited:
So your saying a Suzuki caliber player to give you 3 cheap ELC years and ready to play plus a serviceable top 9 is a weaker return than
a useless Barrie and Kerfoot

My point is you dumped an expiring contract , a first , Brown , Kadri , etc and didn't fix a need

Barrie and Kerfoot are "useless" Really? Barrie's cap hit is 2.5. Kerfoot has an affordable deal and is still young at 24.

Barrie and Kerfoot are "useless" Really? Barrie's cap hit is 2.5. Kerfoot has an affordable deal and is still young at 24.

Cmon Jack .... you dumped a gold contract for 3 years

You didn't get enough in return . Sakic was doing back flips when he unloaded Barrie .

Barrie was shopped for a long time and Kerfoot could be replaced by Engvall and the Rooshkie on the cheap and better than him

If we moved Gallagher for that package you would of crucified our board .

Kerfoot is 26 in August BTW

Just admit you got taken to the cleaners on this one

Last edited:
I don't get what that has to do with anything, you draft a gem in the 2nd round and it justifies just giving away a first rounder?

And now you're telling me it's not a big deal because the first rounder is gonna be a late one yet your bragging about the great 2nd rounder Robertson has become...seems like you can do pretty well with late 1st rounder and 2nd rounders.

To be honest, whatever I suggest could have been done will not sit well with you because you will defend Dubas but could Zaitsev have been traded without having to take back another 4 mil contract? Could Kappanen have been traded for picks or prospects rather than being resigned for 3 mil?

Maybe

Would another year of Marleau at 6.25 have been a liability? When you're dressing Spezza each night I wouldn't think so.

all I know is that it's an amazing deal for Carolina and as a Habs fan I would love to have that first rounder which is where my thought on this stems from.

How come this stuff doesn't get challenged around here by any sensible Habs fans just out of principle that it literally makes no sense as a valid hockey argument?

Yes... they're dressing Jason Spezza at 700k to be a C and play at a 40 point pace.

And yes, another year of Marleau at 6.25 million to be a LW and play at a 30 point pace would've been a liability.

Last edited:
Well if you're putting that signing on Lou why would Dubas get criticized? To me he would be pretty much off the hook and a simple answer would be that we need to bite the bullet for another year rather than lose a 1st rounder.

You're not getting my point...of course no one wants to have to use Marleau but if the price to pay is giving up a 1st rounder instead of juts keeping him for another year that's a situation to study and possibly manage.

we're not talking about another 3 years of marleau, that's a whole different ball game and that may be worth giving up a 1st rounder to get that off the books.

The Spezza vs marleau comparison is a hockey comparison, forget cap implications for a second. Is Marleau that much worse than Spezza? Could you have just used marleau in the same capacity that Spezza is being used this year and save your 1st rounder?

Anyways, I guess Dubas most likely studied all options to not have to lose that 1st rounder and find a taker.

But to me it was a steep price to pay to get one year at 6.25 off your books

No, because you couldn't resign Johnsson, Kapanen and have the Matthews/Marner contracts kick in with a 6.25 million dollar 30 point player as your third or fourth line C.

Why does this need to be explained?

[
How come this stuff doesn't get challenged around here by any sensible Habs fans just out of principle that it literally makes no sense as a valid hockey argument?

Yes... they're dressing Jason Spezza at 700k to be a C and play at a 40 point pace.

And yes, another year of Marleau at 6.25 million to be a LW and play at a 30 point pace would've been a liability.

"Cap" matters so much in arguments with Dubas here until this. Spezza is a fantastic steal at the NHL minimum.

It's funny the fact people avoid so hard to bring up Lou signing Marleau to that deal or the Zaitsev contract. It doesn't fit the narrative that Lou is so much better with contracts and would be better than Dubas.
That Islanders cap right now is a complete mess. It's littered with overpaid 4th liners and aging players paid until their mid 30's. He actually gave Komorov a raise and a 4 year deal after he looked so terrible his last year in Toronto. Now he's being scratched.

Last edited:
I would say we were in a tricky cap situation before moving Marleau and Zaitsev but at this point we have a ton of flexibility despite being very close to the cap.

Not that the cap experts here who took a cursory glance at CapFriendly won't still go on about it.

A capped out TB team unloaded a vet with term and got back a first round pick . Miller is a good player but
Lightning needed help to pay Point .

Players are different but a capped out team got solid value in return . An expiring contract with minimal cash handed out has value . Needed to extract a better draft pick in return or a decent prospect when giving them a first .

Kadri had to net a hell of of a lot more than a third liner for the future when Barrie is gone if he doesn’t get flipped by the deadline .

JT Miller could be traded to any other team. His NTC hadn't kicked in yet.

Marleau could only be traded to the Sharks or a team that was going to buy him out so he could play for the Sharks.

You know that, right? There's no fucking leverage there.

JT Miller could be traded to any other team. His NTC hadn't kicked in yet.

Marleau could only be traded to the Sharks or a team that was going to buy him out so he could play for the Sharks.

You know that, right? There's no fucking leverage there.

Vancouver or any other team could of told Brisebois to suck my di*k , your capped out my friend , I am giving you a 5Th and have a nice day . TB wasn’t taking back salary , they netted a potential lottery pick in return .

Brisebois had little to no leverage he had to dump salary

Last edited:
There's nothing difficult to understand about the concept that if you're free to trade with 31 teams you have a better shot at finding a moron GM than if a 40 year old with a huge salary is demanding to go to a single team.

There's nothing difficult to understand about the concept that if you're free to trade with 31 teams you have a better shot at finding a moron GM than if a 40 year old with a huge salary is demanding to go to a single team.

You didn’t need to attach a first rounder , plain and simple

Back