• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

I think if the NHL were really serious about this they wouldn’t have written off Vancouver, who looks like they have handled this by far the best in North America. I think these “plans” are in large part for publicity and to keep the sport in the news, which is quite frankly not a bad idea for them.

That said, I want a crack at Laffy while at the same time not wanting any part at all of any Penguins win over the Habs, so I’m kind of biased.

I will be absolutely shocked if there’s any continuation to the season - all this smoke & mirrors is a pipe dream. No way the NHLPA entirety vote to play...zero chance.

It'll happen. The NBA is coming back, so will hockey.

It'll happen. The NBA is coming back, so will hockey.
Players have all control here, the vast majority are Canadians and Euros...just don’t see them voting to play.

NBA can also survive with zero attendance due to TV deals, NHL can’t survive such a format, add to it the natural physical nature of the sport. Also, not sure Florida will be a better COVID situation in 1-months time. It ain’t gonna work..

Players have all control here, the vast majority are Canadians and Euros...just don’t see them voting to play.

NBA can also survive with zero attendance due to TV deals, NHL can’t survive such a format, add to it the natural physical nature of the sport. Also, not sure Florida will be a better COVID situation in 1-months time. It ain’t gonna work..

NBA has nearly a billion bucks on the line for completing the playoffs

NHL has I believe a 7-8% financial escrow hit if they dont resume

Bobby Mac said the league is going to lose 350 mil in revenue even if they play

I think LeBrun was saying for the fourth liner making 1 mil , playing may only give him 20k in pay .

Uh, the NBA is quite physical with far less gear.

Uh, the NBA is quite physical with far less gear.
For sure... And they're all touching the same ball sans gloves.
Basketball would definitely be the worst breeding ground for Covid. Hockey, relatively speaking wouldn't be that bad.

Hockey might come back, but I think they'll need to be extra careful/lucky to get through 2+ months of playoffs without an outbreak decimating a team at some point. I think it would be a lot more possible if the hub cities were in Canada, but they ruled out Vancouver for having too many requirements chosen to prevent such an outbreak.

It's so dumb. Only the NHL would create incentives for teams to lose in the playoffs.

They should of waited til the season was over

If play cant resume , base it final % standings with any potential tie breaker criteria

If you award the cup simply base it on standings and revise with the contenders who go far

For example, the New York Rangers owe Artemi Panarin a $12 million signing bonus on July 1. I’m guessing he won’t be too happy if he finds out later today that his $12 million deposit won’t be showing up in his bank account tomorrow.

But hey, can you book a flight from Moscow to New York for Monday? We really need ya for this play-in series against the Hurricanes.

The league spinning its wheels on these issues are sure to cause friction with the players. Carey Price is due to be paid $8.75 million tomorrow. We heard him talk last week about how the virus hit close to home when a friend his lost their mother to Covid-19.

Less than a week later he has to say goodbye to his two children and pregnant wife for … weeks? Months? To be in … Montreal? Toronto? Vegas? Edmonton? Maybe Chicago? And now the owners don’t want to pay him the money they agreed to in contract negotiations? That’s going to rub some players the wrong way.

no player is going to want to lose

i think it was a great setup even though it hurt the habs the most
Actually it hasn't. They have a better shot at Lafreniere than they previously did. It was the ball that would have been assigned to Winnipeg that won the lottery.

Back